Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn solo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 20:01

What is it with this solo. I just can't get the hang of how to play it and after seeing some fast kids playing it so easy on Youtube I am depressed  :/

Is there a formula or special way of doing it as I am good at picking things up by ear but not this.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 21:56

Which solo do you mean?

Generally, the thing to do is to break it down into pieces, play them through slowly, then gradually increase the speed. A lot of Mike's faster solos, especially those on Ommadawn, rely on a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 06:10

Its the solo in Part 1 that cascades down. I am told I can get it from Ultimate Guitar.com as a power tab file but I have no software that recognises it.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 11:06

Aha, the diddlydiddlydiddly solo!

Have a look at this. I haven't checked it, but at least the beginning of it looks right to me.

It's also worth watching one of the live videos of him playing it to get a better idea of the technique he uses.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 16:33

I am determined to nail this because it will improve my playing and speed. Its a real tough one because you have to be accurate.

What I have done is slow the cd wav file down in Cubase and listening to each part much slower. This si helping and hopeful I will speed up when more familiar. :cool:
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 10:08

Hey Ian.Check out the Motreux dvd.I would say Mike gets it 100%accurate on the first run (he fluffs it completely)but he get's it right afterwards.It does show how Mike plays it quite clearly.I can see it but i can't play it though.The solo afterwards before  the climax is easier but this bit loses me.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 06:40

Yes he does cock it up doesn't he. I bet he was gutted about that, having been the one who composed it. Makes me feel a bit better anyway ;-)  Getting the hang of it a bit more but it is a very tough one.
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 09:19

It does make the heart glad that he actually CAN cock it up in such a complete way.There is hope.I saw him in Birmingham on the Then And Now tour in 99.Now i have always thought Mike was a stunning guitar player (and i believe you have to actually play to really apppreciate how technically demanding his style is-it's just so unorthodox)but live he's something else!Even then the first phrase of Let There Be Light the tone was set to a dirty tone when it should have been that sweet compressed Strat sound.Oh well....even the gods get in wrong sometimes. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 12:09

I was at Birmingham but don't really recall that.

Have got the Ommadawn bit a lot more now. Its coming together. It just takes practace and not giving up. I think trying to play this type of stuff does improve guitar skills somewhat. :)
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 09:10

It was an amazing gig though.Damn near cried when he said "this is a piece i wrote in 1975" and then played Ommadawn part 1.It also brought home the contrast from the shy Mike circa 73-76 as he just stood on stage when he came on and just lapped up the applause before even picking up the guitar!!!
There's definate benefits to learning to play Mike's music.It's challenging but very rewarding.

--------------
Profile PM 
9 replies since Mar. 21 2008, 20:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net