Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn SACD< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hergestridge Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 26 2011, 09:39

People may be interested to know that Ommadawn is being released on SACD in February next year. I've just pre-ordered mine. I bought an SACD player about a year ago and I have to say that a well-mastered SACD is *so* much nicer to listen to than regular CD - much more detail and atmosphere.

You can order direct from cdjapan here. Amazon and other stores have it too, but ordering direct is probably cheaper.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2011, 12:17

So they have dug up the master tapes again, just a couple of years after the deluxe edition of the album?
I hope they have but frankly I wouldn't count on it.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2011, 17:52

And last month, a Tubular Bells SACD was also published in Japan, under Universal Music. It is part of a long reissue series by Universal. They are PURE sacd, not hybrid as the Virgin reissue.

Check http://www.universal-music.co.jp/u-pop/special/sacd/rock_pops.html

The mixes have been done by Richard Whittaker at http://www.fxmastering.co.uk/

And as Richard told me:

"Hi there.Yes, the original master tapes were used to create the SACD.
Kind Regards"

R
Profile PM 
hergestridge Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2012, 08:37

My copy of Ommadawn on SACD arrived a couple of days ago and I have to say it sounds fantastic. Beautifully natural, detailed sound without that slightly hard edge you often get on CD. Also, you get to pick up on those tiny background subtleties which often get lost on CD. Yes, it's expensive but, if you love this album, it's worth every penny.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2012, 06:11

Quote (hergestridge @ Mar. 03 2012, 14:37)
My copy of Ommadawn on SACD arrived a couple of days ago and I have to say it sounds fantastic. Beautifully natural, detailed sound without that slightly hard edge you often get on CD. Also, you get to pick up on those tiny background subtleties which often get lost on CD. Yes, it's expensive but, if you love this album, it's worth every penny.

I couldn't agree more... it's a brilliant remastering job!!
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2012, 08:56

Quote (hergestridge @ Mar. 03 2012, 08:37)

I wholly concur.

I have just carried out comprehensive direct comparision testing between the 2012 SACD Version by Mercury Records, and the 2010 (so-called) Deluxe Edition CD, which includes no less than THREE versions, namely 2010 Stereo Mix on CD, original 1975 version (same version as SACD) on CD, as well as 2010 Mix in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound.

In short, IMO this is the ranking of the different versions regards to which offers the best audio quality, in descending order:

1) 2012 SACD by Mercury Records (i.e. This version)
2) 2010 Deluxe Edition, Original 1975 Mix, CD Version
3) 2010 Deluxe Edition, 2010 Stereo Mix, CD Version
4) 2010 Deluxe Edition, 2010 Stereo Mix, DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Version

Without a doubt the best version of OMMADAWN is the 2012 SACD Version by Mercury Records.

Specifically, the audio clarity, dynamics, soundstage, frequency range, compression, distortion and depth are all significantly superior than the other versions.

This is most noticable at 1:15 of OMMADAWN Part 1 when the deep bass begins, wherein it is so much deeper than the other versions; and 12:27 when the african drums start, wherein the considerably superior clarity and realism of the drums stands out versus the other versions. The 2010 Mix in my opinion is a huge disappointment, in that it is as if LOUDNESS has been applied producing a muddy, boomy and imbalanced bass / lower end, such that the african drumming is a blurry mess; whereas with the SACD version the drumming is astonishingly real.

In my opinion there is absolutely no contest; the SACD version is irrefutably the best version. Period.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Dec. 26 2011, 09:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net