Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn re-release - a few thoughts...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 03 2009, 17:25

Tubular Bells?
Hergest Ridge?

I can't wait to see Ommadawn re-released,and it does deserve an ultimate edition like TB has!

What would you like to see it released together? I'd love a 5.1 mix,as well as other rarieties!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 04:37

I see... I see... something... It is not clear... I see... I see... YES I CAN SEE !!!!! THIS
:D

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 06:20

I see.....I see......Google Not Found.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 13:43

I don't get this Ommadawn remaster stuff. It was high tech enough, and already remastered....or cleaned up for CD years ago. I'm thinking this trend of "OK Tubularians, I'm gonna remix all my old albums" needs to end. It's time for fresh material. HR was cleaned up enough by some guy named Bartosik(sp) and me. Ommadawn is fine, so is Incantations. Focus on new material. Please. If MO is still tinkering with software and instruments, it's time to move on......Gimme something new. Not trying to be ugly......just move on..........The rarities are getting old. Get some inspiration from that oceanic experience and compose. "QE2 2" Or have a woman sing DH Lawrence "Whales weep not" to marimbas, synths and guitars. Here's the lyrics:

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains
the hottest blood of all, and the wildest, the most urgent.

All the whales in the wider deeps, hot are they, as they urge
on and on, and dive beneath the icebergs.
The right whales, the sperm-whales, the hammer-heads, the killers
there they blow, there they blow, hot wild white breath out of the sea!

And they rock, and they rock, through the sensual ageless ages
on the depths of the seven seas,
and through the salt they reel with drunk delight
and in the tropics tremble they with love
and roll with massive, strong desire, like gods.
Then the great bull lies up against his bride
in the blue deep of the sea

as mountain pressing on mountain, in the zest of life:
and out of the inward roaring of the inner red ocean of whale blood
the long tip reaches strong, intense, like the maelstrom-tip, and comes to rest
in the clasp and the soft, wild clutch of a she-whale's fathomless body.

And over the bridge of the whale's strong phallus, linking the wonder of whales
the burning archangels under the sea keep passing, back and forth,
keep passing archangels of bliss
from him to her, from her to him, great Cherubim
that wait on whales in mid-ocean, suspended in the waves of the sea
great heaven of whales in the waters, old hierarchies.
And enormous mother whales lie dreaming suckling their whale-tender young
and dreaming with strange whale eyes wide open in the waters of the beginning and the end.

And bull-whales gather their women and whale-calves in a ring
when danger threatens, on the surface of the ceaseless flood
and range themselves like great fierce Seraphim facing the threat
encircling their huddled monsters of love.
and all this happiness in the sea, in the salt
where God is also love, but without words:
and Aphrodite is the wife of whales
most happy, happy she!

and Venus among the fishes skips and is a she-dolphin
she is the gay, delighted porpoise sporting with love and the sea
she is the female tunny-fish, round and happy among the males
and dense with happy blood, dark rainbow bliss in the sea.

The part "And they Rock and they Rock"......at that point speed tempo and add overdubbed guitars. Food for thought old friend.....I'm hearing the finished product in my head. And it is good.
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 14:08

Got to add a footnote: Jesus H. that is an erotic poem isn't it? Reading it gets my motor running. Think about it seriously MO. It does have a cadence to it. An outline to follow. A premise to build on. Eroticism and the sea. Do it! By Summer 2010. I dare ya! And I'm itching to hear it.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 14:27

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 15 2009, 18:43)
I don't get this Ommadawn remaster stuff. It was high tech enough, and already remastered....or cleaned up for CD years ago. I'm thinking this trend of "OK Tubularians, I'm gonna remix all my old albums" needs to end. It's time for fresh material. HR was cleaned up enough by some guy named Bartosik(sp) and me. Ommadawn is fine, so is Incantations. Focus on new material. Please. If MO is still tinkering with software and instruments, it's time to move on......Gimme something new. Not trying to be ugly......just move on..........The rarities are getting old. Get some inspiration from that oceanic experience and compose.

Amen to the "let's have some new stuff", although I'd really like to get some of the rarities that are missing from my collection - so I'd happily fork out for those.

As for the notion of remastering/remixing all the old albums: er, no, I'm with you on that. I don't mind the epic 70s albums at a pinch, but if MO's going to start faffing about with QE2, FMO and the rest of it, I think that would be getting a bit silly!!

I'm also wondering whether this 'Ultimate Edition' business is going to continue with HR, Ommadawn and Incantations.  I was happy to buy a special collectors set of TB, but I'm not so sure I'd want to fork out for every re-release in its signed-and-numbered-exclusive (yeah right! ) £75-a-pop guise. If TPTB are going to go down this route I'd say they need to add more rare/collectable content, bring the price down a tad and find better distributors than they had for the TB UE.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 02:50

Can we have Maddy Prior singing that Jim?.Sounds good to me.Plus QE2 2 is too good of an album title to let slip by.Great stuff"!
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 16 2009, 03:21

We have to put up with new mixes until the TB 40th anniversary will be released in 2013.
TB 40th will not be a new mix but entirely a very early pre-demo of TB from April 1953.
New technology will emerge and we will be shown the version of TB that MO dreamt about as a fetus - just a month before he was actually born.
;)
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 03:38

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ June 15 2009, 14:27)
but if MO's going to start faffing about with QE2, FMO and the rest of it, I think that would be getting a bit silly!!

The Albums will be Released in some Form or other.  I guess .Maybe as theyre percieved as not being so popular. (debatable)..  Even more extras and hidden goodies will be included as tempters..

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 04:58

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ June 16 2009, 03:21)
We have to put up with new mixes until the TB 40th anniversary will be released in 2013.
TB 40th will not be a new mix but entirely a very early pre-demo of TB from April 1953.
New technology will emerge and we will be shown the version of TB that MO dreamt about as a fetus - just a month before he was actually born.
;)

Actually MO fans, I have secret inside information that the 2023 "Deluxe Release" of Tubular Bells will include a very limited Fiber Optic "Perfection" edition of the true original Mozart score for TB, composed in 1845! It will be discovered in 2019 that MO has several past lives, and thanks to modern technology and time travel, the true history of TB will finally be revealed to all! As an added bonus in the Deluxe Release, all of those lucky enough to purchase one of the 1000 copies will be given a voucher for a 10-minute "Mind Meld" with Mike!
I've been told the retail cost of the set will be around $5,000, not too bad considering inflation...

I can't wait!

[B]
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 05:02

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 15 2009, 13:43)
Get some inspiration from that oceanic experience and compose. "QE2 2" Or have a woman sing DH Lawrence "Whales weep not" to marimbas, synths and guitars.

I think you've nailed something for me there. This "renovation" work is all well and good - and this time last year when we thought that was it (after MoTS) - Mike had retired, we would have been relieved to see him getting on with this project.

I don't doubt he's enjoying himself a lot, but I see the act of 'renovating' or 'tinkering' [or 'faffing'] as a kind of calm and dispassionate activity, that doesn't require one to fully emotionally engage. We're used to PASSION from Mike (as Scatter has illustrated) - where music is used like a channel of expression and communication.

I was ok with TB, but I have some anxiety about listening to another version of Ommadawn, - particularly if some of the more complex emotions in there get trivilised and brightened.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 09:58

If Maddy ain't around I'll sing the thing myself while breathing helium.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 09:08

I dunno if Mike's even doing all the remasters himself for them all.And even if he is i don't reckon we'll see a remix for all of them.I'd like to hear some sort of remix for Ommamdwn but only out of curiosity cos it is damn near to perfection already.It's probably one of my favourite Oldfield peices (it fluctuates between this,Incatations,TB (original mix-sorry Mike)and Amarok)so i'd like to hear a new mix to see what else,if anything, is underneath all the layers.
 IMO only TB had major flaws production wise so it was ripe for a remix.Unfortunately these flaws where part of it's charm for me so although i like the remix i can't say i'm knocked out by it.Hergest Ridge was already remixed in 76 so the only thing they could do would be to go back to the original mix and redo that.From Ommamdwn on he really got on top of his game with production so what can they really do with it?A remaster will make it sound newer but will it add anything?I'll wait and see. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 18 2009, 10:34

Ommadawn is the one im looking forward to. Tubular Bells is great too, but its time for other stuff!
The rare stuff from Reflection is one of the things. Also the radio edit "Ommadawn (7 Inch Single)" , that version have so much power and dramatic tunes. Listen for it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S-eiFNXC1U you will looove it!

One more thing; a live version of Ommadawn would be something. One of my favorite is the 1983_Mike Oldfield_10th anniversary Tubular bells :D great!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 03:55

Quote (Tubularman @ June 18 2009, 10:34)
...a live version of Ommadawn would be something.

I'm all for that! My 'Ultimate' Ommadawn edition would include several live performances from your collection, Tubularman. I'd also like a rerecording a la Tubular Bells 2003. And don't forget the short documentary film from Tony Palmer. So, my dream Ommadawn would have CDs of live recordings and a rerecording, and a DVD of the documentary and live performances. Errr... or is that too much to ask for??

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 04:16

I have the 7" somewhere in my singles collection.Problem is it's not an English pressing therefore it has the big whole in the middle and i've lost the widget thingy to be able to play it on my turntable.Bugger!I have the documentary on Tony Palmers's frankly brilliant All You Need Is Love.Mike clearly doesn't enjoy being interviewed but he does look very comfortable behind the mixing desk.The really interesting thing for me is that he's playing Ommadawn MK1 and as he's running through ther track sheet he's saying "Oh that's not there anymore" etc as this was the infamous disintergrating tape.
 Really not sure about a rerecording.I could see the point to an extent with TB as he'd been harping on about the mistakes for years and 2003 was his way of correcting this.Even he has admitted it was a flop though.Ommadawn doesn't have those mistakes and after all these years i don't hear any flaws in the playing so why bother?

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 14:10

Quote (The Caveman @ June 24 2009, 04:16)
i don't hear any flaws in the playing so why bother?

Well, I was speaking about my dream Ommadawn, and that's something I'd like to hear. Regardless of the quality of playing (which I agree is fine), I think there's room for improvement in the sound. For example, I'd like some of the guitar parts to be more up-front in the recording. But I'm also open for a reinterpration. Then again, maybe I just wanna extend my "Ommagasms" playlist.  :p

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 16:10

I think the 7" mix is fantastic. It should really be included on a deluxe edition. It's an amazing cut-n-paste job and the piece lends itself to the single format surprisingly well.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 27 2009, 09:31

Quote (The Caveman @ June 24 2009, 08:16)
I have the 7" somewhere in my singles collection.Problem is it's not an English pressing therefore it has the big whole in the middle and i've lost the widget thingy to be able to play it on my turntable.Bugger!I have the documentary on Tony Palmers's frankly brilliant All You Need Is Love.Mike clearly doesn't enjoy being interviewed but he does look very comfortable behind the mixing desk.The really interesting thing for me is that he's playing Ommadawn MK1 and as he's running through ther track sheet he's saying "Oh that's not there anymore" etc as this was the infamous disintergrating tape.
 Really not sure about a rerecording.I could see the point to an extent with TB as he'd been harping on about the mistakes for years and 2003 was his way of correcting this.Even he has admitted it was a flop though.Ommadawn doesn't have those mistakes and after all these years i don't hear any flaws in the playing so why bother?

I didn't see the point in remixing Tubular Bells as in TB 2003.  I can't say I've noticed the flaws in the original.  For me TB 1973 does it, the 2003 version is listenable, buty it's been ages since i've played it.
Ommadawn, why the ned to remix it, it's perfection as it is   :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 27 2009, 09:57

the 2003 version of tb was essential. Would be a bit of a crime to just let those gorgious pieces on side two recorded as muffy as it was. sure it has it's charm, like an old vinyl of a beethoven concert recorded on the radio can have charm. But I would also like to have a clean passioably played version of it.

But to be honest, ommadawn was recorded much better already...I would like a retake on it, but it is not really needed imo.
Profile PM 
39 replies since June 03 2009, 17:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net