Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn part 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 05 2006, 05:45

Hi. I have always been very puzzled as to why the second part of ommadawn (particularly the pening mass over dub of guitars bit) has always recieved a rather hostile press. I have read so many things about how dull and monotoous the opening is but I find it to be some of the most moving passages in the entire album and their place after the finale of part ne is so right. You get this feeling of manic despair in the mantra style chords that loop over and over, and those descending semitones chord shifts and the chimes of the bells is perhaps the most eryfying musical utterance oldfield ever made IMHO. Is there anyone else here who agrees? I am alwasy kind shocked when i read peoples views on this and that they feel it is weak or not very good.

Any thoughts would be nice on this one!

Cheers!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 05 2006, 07:20

It's most likely that the press reviewers found Part One to have more happening in it than Part Two and didn't give it enough time to grow on them. When Mike overdubbed 70+ guitars on the 'thunderstorm' section of Hergest Ridge, some people commented that it gave them a headache. Perhaps the same thing could have been true for the reviewers listening to the opening section of Ommadawn Part 2.

I remember another person thought that Part One was about the progress of someone's life and all the troubles that approach death at the climax, and Part Two opened with the metaphorical person in heaven, which is another way of seeing it. Yes, the ending section with the bells seems terrifying, but it's only leading to the closing reel which seems rather joyous.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 05 2006, 13:47

The Opening section of PT2 is so evocative. It's like a dense forest of guitars. It's propably the most experimental part of the whole album, and it's impossible to hear all the details in those thick layers of sound. There are some kind of "yelping" sound in the background, and I'm not sure what instrument it comes from. Anyone have any idea?

The whole album is superb, but I think my least favorite moment is the part that comes after the one discussed above (the one with the solo on some sort of pipe instrument). It becomes just a little too feel-good there. But that's a minor flaw. But that first section, it stops the clocks!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 08 2006, 19:21

Quote (larstangmark @ April 05 2006, 18:47)
The Opening section of PT2 is so evocative. It's like a dense forest of guitars. It's propably the most experimental part of the whole album, and it's impossible to hear all the details in those thick layers of sound. There are some kind of "yelping" sound in the background, and I'm not sure what instrument it comes from. Anyone have any idea?

The whole album is superb, but I think my least favorite moment is the part that comes after the one discussed above (the one with the solo on some sort of pipe instrument). It becomes just a little too feel-good there. But that's a minor flaw. But that first section, it stops the clocks!

Well said Lars :D.  I don't know why the opening section of Part 2  causes so much controversy    :/ .  It follows on so perfectly from that cresendo ending to Part 1.  

As I frequently  do with Ommadawn I light some incense my favourites being "Asian Spice and Patcholi Ember" , "The Pier" chain has apparently stopped selling this scent in its stores.  (Sorry but I  had to see if anyone has seen my favourite incense sticks, as I'd like to get some more).  Anyway back to Ommadawn, I light incense and candles,  take the phone off the hook, as I do NOT wish to be disturbed, especially by trivial things. I just allow myself to be  completely engulfed by the beautiful music.

If Part 1 is seen as a birth or rebirth, then  the opening section of Part 2 I often feel as if this is those first few minutes of life following the (re) birth.   I just love those spiralling , swirly guitars.  As Lars said "a dense forest", but is it too much??? No definitely not.  

the Uiellian /Northumbrian Pipes section,  I can't decide for sure if this is meant to sound happy or sad.  Yes I've often cried here, but other times I can feel so happy too.   Maybe this pipe section makes me think of solitude. For me solitude can mean isolation/loneliness, but sometimes solitude can be so peaceful and tranquil.   The bodrhan section is so happy  :) , then there's the wonderfully childlike and innocent On Horseback.  How I see Ommadawn as sad or happy depends upon my emotions at the time of playing, but I'm always smiling by the time of On Horseback  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
3 replies since April 05 2006, 05:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net