Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn II once again< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
error Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 07 2000, 07:10

Hi,
I think that the best MO's music is Ommadawn and Amarok. Mike's newer music like TB3 or Guitars is boring most of time. These albums have their nice parts, but I think that Mike used some amount of material from his previous albums. I have TB1 and it's also good album and very inventive. Normal piano on TB1 is better than synth-sounds on TB3. In my opinion Mike should use normal instruments, not synthesators and so on....

--------------

Profile PM 
murds Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 13 2000, 01:17

maybe you all are getting too fussy with the way you want mo's music to be
just the man do his music to his fans so that they can dwell on it using there imagination you make think that i am cheeky or igmorant but i have like mikes music every since i was around 4 years old when
i had problems i would always play his music and if you listen hard you could shut your eyes and close yourself off to the whole world
now i am 18 and when i listen to his music i don't complain saying this should be added or this should sound different but for me his music is mermories that can't be forgoten
B4 ANY OF YOU ASK I'M NOT A CRACKPOT JUST A DEVOTED FAN OF MIKE OLDFIELD AND IF MIKE READS THIS I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR MUSIC AND TO KEEEEP THE MUSIC LIV'IN

MURDS2K
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 27 2000, 20:41

I agree with murds - if you don't like Mike's music, there are plenty of other musicians out there, many of who sell less records than Mike and would love you to buy their latest CD ;-)

That said, I do think that Ommadawn is a brilliantly powerful album, which is more down to Mike's state of mind than anything else. If he tried making music like that now, it would probably just not feel the same, and the feel of Ommadawn is what makes it so powerful. Amarok was a highly creative album, and also something that Mike felt like doing at the time. If people start making him make types of music that he doesn't want to do, the music won't work out. When Mike started using synthesizers (on Ommadawn, actually) they changed the whole way his albums sounded (allowing Ommadawn to sound much 'bigger' in places than the previous albums). His use of the Fairlight CMI, particularly on Five Miles Out and Crises, changed the sound again - certainly Crises has a much brighter, clearer sound than the albums before it. Synthesizers have allowed Mike to get at sounds that he wouldn't have been able to get otherwise (its the old musician's 'sound in your head' thing - some musicians spend a whole career trying to get that one sound that they always think of but can never quite get an instrument to produce).

Its certainly true that Mike can create some extremely expressive music using 'real' instruments, and I'd hope he never forgets the value that a real instrument being played by a real musician has. He's produced all sorts of music during his career, and I'm sure that you'll find that his current dance music phase will eventually turn into something else. You may find, though, that if you find Mike's current music boring, you will still find it boring even if he's using different instruments. Change in the mood and feel of the music has to come from within the musician/composer and can't come from the instrument (although the instrument may help it along). For Mike's music to change, Mike himself has to change first.

Those are just some of my views. I can see the angle that both of you are coming from, and although I agree more with murds' points, I can also see error's viewpoint. But even if you don't like Mike's current music, there's not really much you can do about it - he'll do what he wants to, and getting him to change things could prove very difficult indeed...

Korgscrew

P.S. Mike, if you're out there and want advice on where to go next, just get in touch ;-) (Yeah, like I expect him to do that...)
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 03 2000, 21:40

What's a "synthesator?"
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 04 2000, 19:03

It's a small furry creature. If trained well, they are able to create original electronic-sounding music. Mike keeeps them in his large garden, where the synthesators can run free and enjoy a happy life. He then brings them inside where, after being bribed with Guinness, they sing in their curiously electronic sounding voices...
Profile PM 
4 replies since Feb. 07 2000, 07:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net