Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn I versus II ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 16 2006, 12:52

Wha? Jules has posted? Awesome! Hope to hear more from you, man! :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 16 2006, 17:17

Quote (Sonilink @ June 15 2006, 18:34)
Quote (Ray @ June 14 2006, 23:20)
Quote (Sonilink @ June 14 2006, 16:58)
Ommadaw side II features on of my all time best solo!

Go on.... tall us....Which bit?????

I want to go and listen to it again adn see if I agree.

But in general over the past 30yrs I have listened more to this album than another, and I would guess at incantations being joint second with TB1 and TB2 following up a joint third with Crisis.

Now there's indecision for you........

Ray   :cool:

between the bagpipes and On horsback

yeah...I was joking a bit...I think that solo is a bit famous....should of put a few winks    ;)   ;)

But all of the solos are pretty good on this album.  Thats why i bought the guitar used to make them!  er...That and the fact it was the only one left!!!!

:cool: Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 19:15

Welcome back Jules dear Friend :)  I hope you'll stick around.  Both yours and Alan's witty humour would bring a smile to my face.

As regarding Ommadawn, I did one of my favourite things earlier, I lit some incense and candles, took my phone off  the hook, grabbed many cushions and just sat back and listened to Ommadawn without interuptions.

I just love the way Part 1 builds and builds into this intensly electrifying guitar.  Even the guitar doesn't gradually fade out  once the climatic part is reached, subdued it certainally isn't.
As the final guitar chord of Part 1 loudly rings out, it's replaced by the African drummers,keeping the Ommadawn heartbeat going.
Yes I love Ommadawn Part 1,  as there is somuch energy/emotion there.  I was going to quote a post by Alan here,but I accidently  hit  the "submit post"  key before quoting him.  Yes Ommadawn Part 1 is pure  emotion from Mike,  I love the way he  converts such intense feelings into music.  After the intensity of Part 1      
I was buzzing with energy, I feel I need the more chilled out Part 2 to help release some of that excess energy.   Far from being inferior I find Part 2 is the perfect calmer companion to Part 1  :) .  I do however find the Bodrhan section energising,butnot so intense as Part 1  I often feel like dancing here.

Personally speaking I feel there's not one wrong note in Ommadawn.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 10:10

Thanks for all the welcomes peeps!  I'll probably dash in and out like a big dashy thing whenever I get the chance.  I had the Hergest Ridge remix on the stereo last night and thought of you all.

Now what the dickens happened to my avatar?  I dunno, you leave the room for a few weeks and someone breaks your avatar.....grumble, mumble, mutter, moan, groan, grumble, mumble.....

<exits pursued by a bear>

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 12:55

Quote (familyjules @ June 23 2006, 15:10)
Now what the dickens happened to my avatar?  

It was for sale on eBay, last time I saw it, as a piece of genuine Mike-Oldfield-Tubular.net-related memorabilia.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 13:09

Quote (Alan D @ June 23 2006, 12:55)
Now what the dickens happened to my avatar?  

It was for sale on eBay, last time I saw it, as a piece of genuine Mike-Oldfield-Tubular.net-related memorabilia.

I considered bidding on it, but when I looked closely, I figured it would need a new paint job and electrical system, and most likely have all the rhinestones replaced. I'd also have to pay for a license from the municipality in order to re-display it. It would cost more than I was willing to put into it.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 17:51

Throwing in my quite useless two cents, I'd say that part 2 would be the superior half of the album if it weren't for On Horseback. Not that I'd mind that section, but it sounds a bit out of place and more than wee bit anticlimactic.
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 18:58

Thanks for all the welcomes peeps!  I'll probably dash in and out like a big dashy thing whenever I get the chance.  I had the Hergest Ridge remix on the stereo last night and thought of you all.

I'm playing the remix of Hergest Ridge now :cool:,  I was going to play the original version for a change, but can't find it, I'm sure it's in one of my piles of CDs, so many CDs,not enough CD racks to store them in.  I'll have to try and finish that one I started to make in woodwork classes,  need a router to finish it off.  I think it cost me nearly as much to attempt one of my own as to buy one ready made,  still  much of the fun of woodwork is in construcing the item yourself :cool: .

Sysiyo   Posted on June 23 2006, 22:51Throwing in my quite useless two cents, I'd say that part 2 would be the superior half of the album if it weren't for On Horseback. Not that I'd mind that section, but it sounds a bit out of place and more than wee bit anticlimactic.

I happen to love On Horseback, makes me feel so happy :D ,Out of place or anticlimatic,No not IMHO :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: June 27 2006, 14:04

I agree. It's a lovely song, and it's a fitting finish to what is, in short, an absolutely astounding album. It was one of the first MO Album's I ever bought, and I had doubts, because I hadn't heard much about it, but my Dad said he'd heard it before and said he liked it. So, I bought it, and I felt great for hours after I'd first heard it, because I was still listening to it, whether literally or in my mind because it was great.

Anyway, I prefer Part 2 to Part 1, and that is because of the slow build up at the beginning, the incredible climax to the instrumental part of Ommadawn, and the wonderful On Horseback to give it that finishing touch, and had that wonderful line: "So if you feel a little glum, to Hergest Ridge you should come. In summer, winter, rain or summer, it's good to be on Horseback." I hear that, and it's just so uplifting. The lyrics are lovely, gentle and optimistic. It's so peaceful. I love it.

Anyway, hoping everyone's happy and at peace, TTFN.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2006, 03:13

Is Family Jule's avatar a picture of Mike Oldfield from when he was making Ommadawn playing the Farfisa Organ?

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 14 2007, 18:32

Quote (JAK_KAO_KOHo @ June 08 2006, 23:58)
I noticed that everyone prefers Ommadawn I over Ommadawn II.

It's a bit puzzling, as I think part II blows away part I. Am I alone?

What's the reasoning behind your choice?

I do prefer part I over part II, and I'm very likely shortchanging the latter. I can see beauty in part II and I especially love the last few minutes (and "On Horseback", as well). But I usually can't make myself continue after part I. It's too emotionally draining. In its impact, Ommadawn part I is like Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" from his 9th symphony, the two pieces of music that touch me the most. Regardless of intent - Oldfield's was, perhaps, a despairing/raging act I finale, whereas Beethoven's was a more uplifting final culmination - there is no further I can go.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 16:51

Very accurate I find this topic from JAK_KAO_KOHo. I like part 2. I love part 1 but I even prefer part 2 as it's deeper, and more moving. I've never been an extreme fan of the last big climax in part one, but I love the intro, the amazing sequencer following part, which I always associated with a sunset, and the great 'didlydidlydidly' descending guitar bit, which I love as it sounds like a poetic tune put at high speed (just what it is).

But I LOVE the big explosion of emotional, gray sound at the beginning of part 2, the delicate acoustic guitar bit with the subsequent bagpipe, the beautiful flute interlude... and the great jig with awesome Mike's trademark guitar!!! Even when the Horse Song is not a climax more than a little evasion, the part 2 has a bit of a most emotional and optimistic feel, a bit like the sunny calm after the storm in part 1... just the opposite to Hergest Ridge...

anyway...

what an amazing record...

Never ever another one of its kind. ;)

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2008, 14:59

Quote (larstangmark @ June 09 2006, 13:27)
Part II has a looser, less structured feel. It' a great "comedown"

I agree, Lars. Although it's not one of my favorites, I appreciate the artistic intent. Unfortunately, the pipes section (7:12) grates on my ears. Maybe that's due to its prominence in the recording or to a previously unrealized aversion to pipes on my part.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2008, 05:06

I really love all Mike's early albums as they are, but I can't help feeling that Mike put 85% of his energy into the A-sides of TB, HR and Ommadawn. I think I read somewhere that this was in deed the case with TB at least. To me these albums are like singles; side 1 is the main draw and side 2 is the bonus.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
33 replies since June 08 2006, 23:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net