Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn I versus II ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
JAK_KAO_KOHo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2006, 23:58

I am a relatively new user here. For the last few days of browsing the forums, I noticed that everyone prefers Ommadawn I over Ommadawn II.

It's a bit puzzling, as I think part II blows away part I. Am I alone?

What's the reasoning behind your choice?
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 07:20

I think ommadawn pt.2 is sadly neglected. I think after the passion of the climax in part one, the opening to part 2 is quite heartbreaking. Its like having a nervous breakdown and coming out of it still feeling the same, a sense of desperation and lonliness. Then when the guitars suddenly subside and you are left with a simple lone acoustic guitar now in the major key, everything starts to brighten and there are some glorious passages from then on. I really enjoy on horseback too, its simple, direct and incredibly moving. Not sure why people sometimes write it off as a joke, i think it fits the mood of the album very well. I think often with mikes music, you have to read between the lines.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 09 2006, 13:06

Part II wipes away all the bombast, replaces it with atmosphere. It's my favourite part of the album.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 13:27

Part II has a looser, less structured feel. It' a great "comedown", but I think overall it's inferior to pt1, which is one of the greatest pieces of music I've ever heard.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: June 09 2006, 15:22

I think that with Ommadawn, as with so much of Mike's music, you have to take the album as a whole rather than comparing one part with the other.  I find it helps to think of Ommadawn as a narrative, with a beginning, middle and end. The first act introduces us briefly to the main theme, moves quickly to darker subplots, and comic reliefs, before building up to a dramatic blood-pounding, heart-stopping climax.  If it were a play, the audience'd be shuffling in their seats all through the interval wanting to know what happens next. "Act Two" is akin to the narrator thinking through all the drama of the first act, and then managing to resolve it, and find a happy ending.  On Horseback... I dunno... I suppose that'd be the music that plays during the curtain call...:D

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 13 2006, 11:06

Ommadawn Part 1 bombastic???   :( , Never.

ThisName   Posted on June 09 2006, 12:20I think ommadawn pt.2 is sadly neglected. I think after the passion of the climax in part one, the opening to part 2 is quite heartbreaking. Its like having a nervous breakdown and coming out of it still feeling the same, a sense of desperation and lonliness. Then when the guitars suddenly subside and you are left with a simple lone acoustic guitar now in the major key, everything starts to brighten and there are some glorious passages from then on. I really enjoy on horseback too, its simple, direct and incredibly moving. Not sure why people sometimes write it off as a joke, i think it fits the mood of the album very well. I think often with mikes music, you have to read between the lines.

Yes I love the build up and climax of Part 1 :D, but I feel Part 2 is often woefully overlooked.  I personally don't feel the  first five minutes of Part 2 is in any way heartbreaking.  I often like to light candles and incense, and grab some of my big fleecy cushions and lie back and  just go with the flow of the music. Alternatively I like to get out with a "Walkman" into the countryside and listen there.  
I feel that  Part 1 is like a (re)birth, I often think that I give birth to some of my best ideas whilst playing Ommadawn.
The guitar builds and builds into this intense finale ;), and fades out, leaving the African drums sustaining the Ommadawn heartbeat.  
The spiralling guitars that begin Part 2 are like waking from the dream or finding your surroundings following the birth.  I don't find this section in any way a feeling of desperation or loneliness,I find this a very peaceful section.  
I find the Uiellian Pipe Section with the solitary piper is the part where I most feel there's feelings of isolation or loneliness.  Maybe isolation isn't neccesarily a  sad thing, I guess it depends upon whether an individual is a people person or prefers his/her own company.  Personally speaking I hover in the middle, I like small groups of people,sometimes I prefer my own company, but  If I'm alone for too long I can feel a lonely sense of isolation.

From then onwards I find the rest of the album very uplifting,the Bodrhan section and the On Horseback finale with a happy ending :D .  I too don't know why On Horseback is often written off as a joke, for me it's an integral part ofthe album.    

I love the intensity of Part 1 , but I always have to listen to Ommadawn in it's entirity. Part 2 is the perfect calmer companion to Part 1.  I findit difficult to separate the two parts, to do so is like fish without chips , eggs without bread soldiers or Laurel without Hardy.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
JAK_KAO_KOHo Offline

Posted: June 13 2006, 18:29

Great replies, folks.

I am impressed by the quality of these forums.
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 08:10

Hi all.

I love both parts of Ommadawn.  Part Two has that beautiful guitar and pipes passage, the bouzouki rave up and On Horseback, and as ThisName says is sadly neglected.  But Part One remains my favourite piece of MO music ever - it's just dynamite from start to finish - perfectly interweaved, and that climax remains hair-raising and thrilling time after time.  Part Two is made up of great pieces but just doesn't hang together as perfectly as Part One, and just doesn't scale the same towering heights.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 10:48

Quote (familyjules @ June 14 2006, 13:10)
But Part One remains my favourite piece of MO music ever - it's just dynamite from start to finish - perfectly interweaved, and that climax remains hair-raising and thrilling time after time.  Part Two is made up of great pieces but just doesn't hang together as perfectly as Part One, and just doesn't scale the same towering heights.

[Pulls up a chair and pours the tea]

Hi Jules, and how've you been?

It seems you hit the ground running, and what you say about Ommadawn part 1 exactly tallies with my experience too. And as far as I know there's simply nothing, in music, that attempts what the closing section of Part 1 attempts, with such complete success.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 11:58

Ommadaw side II features on of my all time best solo!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 13:01

Quote (Alan D @ June 14 2006, 10:48)
It seems you hit the ground running, and what you say about Ommadawn part 1 exactly tallies with my experience too. And as far as I know there's simply nothing, in music, that attempts what the closing section of Part 1 attempts, with such complete success.

...except for the finale of "Far Above the Clouds", which I think takes the Ommadawn climax idea and improves on it.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 14:59

Quote (hiawatha @ June 14 2006, 18:01)
...except for the finale of "Far Above the Clouds", which I think takes the Ommadawn climax idea and improves on it.

But FATC doesn't have the anger, Hiawatha. That's what so amazes me about Ommadawn1: he sustains that intense anger, and keeps it just under control, even though every moment you feel he's going to lose it (even after so many listenings, that sense of teetering on the edge is still there).

It's not the climax itself that I'm so impressed by - it's the transformation of overwhelming emotion into art.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 17:05

Quote (hiawatha @ June 14 2006, 13:01)

You really like 90s Mike Oldfield, don't you?  :O

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 17:20

Quote (Sonilink @ June 14 2006, 16:58)

Go on.... tall us....Which bit?????

I want to go and listen to it again adn see if I agree.

But in general over the past 30yrs I have listened more to this album than another, and I would guess at incantations being joint second with TB1 and TB2 following up a joint third with Crisis.

Now there's indecision for you........

Ray   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 14 2006, 17:38

Quote (larstangmark @ June 14 2006, 17:05)
Quote (hiawatha @ June 14 2006, 13:01)

You really like 90s Mike Oldfield, don't you?  :O

Actually, I prefer the pre-Exegesis work.

However, there are high points in the post-Exegesis work, including the screaming climax of "Far Above the Clouds".

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: June 15 2006, 13:34

Quote (Ray @ June 14 2006, 23:20)
Quote (Sonilink @ June 14 2006, 16:58)

Go on.... tall us....Which bit?????

I want to go and listen to it again adn see if I agree.

But in general over the past 30yrs I have listened more to this album than another, and I would guess at incantations being joint second with TB1 and TB2 following up a joint third with Crisis.

Now there's indecision for you........

Ray   :cool:

between the bagpipes and On horsback

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
JAK_KAO_KOHo Offline

Posted: June 16 2006, 00:22

^ I agree completely. Now, if you wanna hear something lame, I used a short sample from it for my ringtone   :)  :)  :)
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 16 2006, 05:12

WELCOME HOME JULES

Sonilink how did you change the colour of your type.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 16 2006, 10:41

Quote (TubularBelle @ June 16 2006, 04:12)
Sonilink how did you change the colour of your type.

<stepping in re: colors>..... to change the color, you do this, for example, changing text to the color green: [colour=green]TEXT[/color]. Note that I have used the "u" spelling of "colour" instead of spelling it as "color" so that my example would display; otherwise, it would have looked like this.

Note to everyone: Please, when using different colors, make sure that they are contrasting. For example,if you used pink, it would be difficult to see (even when I bolded the text). There are folks in our Oldfield community that have had vision loss.

We ask that color be used for a word here and there, or at the most, for a few lines. Thanks! :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 16 2006, 10:48

You can always used the word new a lot, and trigger the "red new" bug in the forum!

One legitimate use for unreadable colour combinations is hiding of "spoilers". The text sits there, with a spoiler warning, and cannot be seen unless highlighted. This is useful for discussions of films, upcoming TV episodes, etc.

However, its usefulness in Oldfield discussion is probably quite minimal.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
33 replies since June 08 2006, 23:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net