Don't know what critisism to give, so I just stick to a simple:  :D

Cheers :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2006, 17:52

This Name, what a great piece of writing  :) ,  I did like reading it even if I was a little confused by the middle section :/ .  

As this variation progresses, the music moves steadily around the keys of F# minor and B Minor before eventually coming to rest on B major which cadences unexpectedly and shockingly into E minor for the recapitulation of theme A,.....

Tension is created through the use of the tritone between the chords of A Major and D# Major that are not implied in the melody, thus creating uneasiness in the music.

BTW I was looking to find a D#Maj chord in my guitar chord books and couldn't find one, such is my curiosity,I like to try and test these chord changes on my guitar.  I agree a BMaj to Eminor is quite a surprising and unexpected chord change.
Iwould point out that I'm not a musician (far from it),but I've been trying to learn to play the guitar.  I don't really understand  
written music apart from guitar tab.

Much like Mahler, or even Shostakovich, Oldfield often uses moments of uneasy banality beside moments of increase agitation and despair. A screaming guitar passage of great emotional tension may be followed swiftly by a jig for example, and this tension created by opposites is one of the key features generally in Mike Oldfield’s music and particularly in Ommadawn.

My only minor point is,I don't think Ommadawn has anything banal about it, frivolity yes,  :).   I tend to think of banal things as predictable,dull and boring, to me Ommadawn is anything but banal, even the "controversial" sections.  Yes Ommadawn mixes different styles of music rock with Celtic/Irish, folk music,and African drums, and it really works, making Ommadawn  a work of genius.          :D
Yes sometimes I get different feelings when I listen to Ommadawn, yes I have sometimes cried whilst listening, but I think this depends upon how I feel when I decide to play it. My anger/frustration/sadness is soon replaced by  feelings of happiness :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 30 2006, 04:59

Quote (moonchildhippy @ April 29 2006, 22:52)
My only minor point is,I don't think Ommadawn has anything banal about it

I agree with Galadriel that banality isn't quite the right word, though I know exactly what you're trying to get across, Ryan, and I can't at the moment think of a better way of saying it.

Dylan does the same kind of thing in his lyrics. He piles cliché on cliché almost (but not quite) to the point of 'banality' and then hits you between the eyes with a phrase of tremendously powerful originality. Like this for instance:

A change in the weather is known to be extreme [cliché, expressed slightly oddly]
But what's the sense of changing horses in midstream? [cliché, expressed slightly oddly]
I'm going out of my mind, [total cliché!]
With a pain that stops and starts [this is unusual]
Like a corkscrew to my heart [and here is the hammer blow of originality that makes you feel the pain]
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: April 30 2006, 08:00

D#Major is the same as e flat major, just spelt enharmonically. B major to eminor isnt surprising, its just a perfect cadence, which is as predictable as you can get, but its the way he get there which is the biggest shock, and he handles it expertly!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 30 2006, 18:54

Quote (ThisName @ April 30 2006, 13:00)
D#Major is the same as e flat major, just spelt enharmonically. B major to eminor isnt surprising, its just a perfect cadence, which is as predictable as you can get, but its the way he get there which is the biggest shock, and he handles it expertly!

I'm intrigued how does Mike get from a BMajor to an Eminor    ;) , what chords does he use to get there? As my guitar playing skills aren't up to much,soIwon't be able toplay complicated chords  , whereabouts on my CD of Ommadawn can I hear this?    Please tell me. :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: April 30 2006, 20:45

very good reveiw :)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 05:57

Hi all, I just wanted to say that I got my mark back from my univeristy lecturer for my analysis of ommadawn. I got 74 (70 being a first class mark) so am very pleased with that.

I am still intending to write my dissertation on mike next year, and this analysis was just a warm up to bigger things!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 18:51

Congratulations  :D, just proves that listening to Mike's music is educational,but in a fun way  :D .    

moonchildhippy   Posted on April 30 2006, 23:54
Quote (ThisName @ April 30 2006, 13:00)

I'm intrigued how does Mike get from a BMajor to an Eminor    ;) , what chords does he use to get there? As my guitar playing skills aren't up to much,soIwon't be able toplay complicated chords  , whereabouts on my CD of Ommadawn can I hear this?    Please tell me. :)  :D

Oh go on please.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 19:28

Quote (ThisName @ June 18 2006, 10:57)
Hi all, I just wanted to say that I got my mark back from my univeristy lecturer for my analysis of ommadawn. I got 74 (70 being a first class mark) so am very pleased with that.

I am still intending to write my dissertation on mike next year, and this analysis was just a warm up to bigger things!

Well done! 74 was the highest mark I ever got during my music degree. In my case it was for an electronic music composition assignment.

Generally I prefered the more creative parts of the degree to writing essays. I'll read it when I get the time.
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: June 19 2006, 20:48

well done

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_KVCslxOMjo&search=five%20miles%20out
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: June 19 2008, 07:20

One thing about Ommadawn that isnt covered in this review is that On Horseback is a variantion on the main Ommadawn theme.
I think people arent looking for it, so thwy don't spot it; but once it has been pointed out, it is obvious.
Profile PM 
30 replies since April 26 2006, 05:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net