Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn effects< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Marvel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2001, 16:04

Does anyone know how effects (and acessorioes) has mike used on the last guitar solo of Ommadawn pt.1 (that good screaming guitar), and if that be much expensive, what configuration can be used to simplyfy (simulate) this effect much less expensive?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 11 2001, 00:24

To save typing, I'll just say: a lot of things. If you really want to know, you can take a look at www.appleonline.net/richardc/oldfield/incantations.html (it applies to Ommadawn as well) - there's a note on Mike's sound about half way down the page there.

Some of the things Mike used there were expensive and may even be impossible to find now...

I'll say before I carry on that you'll probably never sound exactly like Mike (I heard a story of one Hank marvin fan, who went to great lengths to get Hank's sound, buying exactly the same equipment and everything. It still didn't sound right, so he managed to arrange to actually play Hank's guitar through his amps, etc before a soundcheck. It still didn;t sound the same, proving that the sound is at least partly in the player). You can try and get close, however, and it will certainly be possible to come up with some sounds that remind you of that Ommadawn solo, even if they're not quite the same.

I've managed to find sounds which I feel react in the same way (but don't necessarily sound exactly the same) by using a combination of a multi-effects unit and amp settings. A popular multi-effects unit for guitar is the Zoom 505 (which I guess is capable of making the right type of noises...), which also has the advantage of being cheap (I think it's actually been replaced by a newer model, though I don't remember what that is). I would use a unit such as that (though you could buy some pedals, like some of those from boss - the 'turbo overdrive' has quite a smooth sound) and program it to give a nice smooth overdrive, with a compressor on as well, then feed it into an amplifier with the gain turned up a bit (exactly how much depends on the amp). Make sure you turn off the reverb on the effects unit when you do this - distorted reverb doesn't usually sound too good, and isn't something Mike has ever used (though you could probably create a unique sound using distorted reverb if you wanted...). Use the equalisers in the effects unit and the tone controls on the amp to boost the mid-range a bit, and to turn down the treble to stop it sounding too fizzy.

Even just playing around with an amplifier's own overdrive and tone controls can get something close - I got a sound that I felt was a little bit like Mike's using a friend's cheap strat copy and small 10 watt practise amplifier...

If you're recording it, I would prefer to use a microphone and mic up the guitar amplifier (if you have access to a reasonable quality microphone that is) rather than plugging into the mixer/tape recorder/computer direct, as it tends to make the sounds more 'real' sounding (and with heavy distortion, playing through the amp will give a much less buzzy sound, unless you plug into a 'speaker simulator'...and even then...). There are some interesting digital amplifier simulators available now - like the Line 6 Pod...They can be very useful for getting the sounds made famous by different players, although I personally wouldn't give up my amp and replace it with one of those to record through.

The key is, use your imagination and experiment a little bit...if you experiment enough, you will find something interesting.

Good luck smile
Profile PM 
Marvel Offline

Posted: May 16 2001, 16:18

I have lisent to someone that a Boss Blues driver and Overdrive will get something about it, but does you know something about Marshall Bluesdriver, Shredmaster, and other Distortions?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 16 2001, 18:01

I did know someone who had a Marshall bluesbreaker pedal. It was good, but didn't make any particularly MO-like sounds, if I remember rightly.
The shredmaster, I believe, is aimed mostly at getting that Metallica type sound, so I doubt that would be so good for getting that Ommadawn sound.

The best thing to do would be to go to a guitar shop and try as many pedals as you can (well...I think it's the best thing to do anyway wink ). See what they have, what you can afford, and what produces a sound closest to what you want.
The Boss overdrives are certainly good ones to look at - there are several in the series, including the Turbo Overdrive I already mentioned. They used to make one that was a combination of distortion and overdrive (distortion and overdrive are similar effects really...don;t lket this confuse you too much...), which might be an interesting one to try. It may also be true that the Blues Driver will do a similar type of sound - I haven't tried one.
Danelectro make a series of effects which are reasonably affordable, and have had good reviews. There are a couple of overdrive and distortion pedals in their range, so maybe one of those would work for you.

It would also be good to try some of the multieffects units from makes like Zoom, Digitech/Dod, Boss and Korg - one of those will probably be capable of making a roughly similar sound.

In the end, it may not be possible to get something that sounds exactly the same, but with a bit of experimenting, it will certainly be possible to get something which 'feels' the same.

I hope this helps somehow...
Profile PM 
Marvel Offline

Posted: May 18 2001, 16:19

thanks you very much, if you think the shredmaster can do some MO sound i try it, because somevhere on the web is a circut of this effect to build this so much less money. So that Zoom or other muti effects are so much expensive for me, because my father doesn't give me too many money. And does you build your own effects? (so a shit-piece work)
Sorry for my fuc...... english, i'm so very tired now. Good night.
Profile PM 
Marvel Offline

Posted: May 18 2001, 16:30

Do you do electronics?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 18 2001, 18:45

Well, if you can get a shredmaster for little money by making it yourself, then maybe it would be worth trying...but I don't think that it will make much of a Mike Oldfield type sound...but maybe if you played with it, then it would, I don't know for sure.

I did get some circuit diagrams for building effects, but I have never actually built them. I have done some wiring inside my guitar, but really my knowledge of electronics is not great.

Don't worry about your English - I can understand you fine, and that's all that's important smile.
Profile PM 
Marvel Offline

Posted: May 23 2001, 16:41

And so, do you know what guitar mike use in the endin guitar solo from The Lake on Discovery (on B string it's 3-15-14-12....)
and Question 2 - What type of Pickups are mike using (about Ommadawn).

Thanks very much.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 23 2001, 18:00

Mike used his Fender Stratocaster quite a lot on Discovery. The clean guitar at around 8:53 is almost certainly his red stratocaster - it has a quite unique sound, to me. That theme gets joined by a classical guitar, which I think is the Ramirez (I don't think that's the one you're talking about, but there it is just for information smile ). It carries on at 10:12 or so (I think it's there then...it certainly comes in later), with the clean strat underneath, and I think the strat again, going through distortion, with the bridge pickup selected. It's really hard to tell underneath all those layers though, it maybe the SG junior again - he was still using it quite a lot at that time.

The pickups Mike was using (or rather, pickup, as he used a one pickup guitar) for Ommadawn were Gibson P90 single coils, as fitted to his SG Junior. I'm starting to wonder whether he used his Fender Telecaster on the album...if he did, then that has its own unique type of pickups, but they're both single coils as well.
Incidentally, P90s are quite large pickups, so they have a fatter sound than the type of single coil pickups you might find on a Stratocaster or similar guitar - they sound like something in between single coils and humbuckers.

Profile PM 
8 replies since May 10 2001, 16:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net