Chandra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 23 2004, 12:23

Any definite news about it? Thanks!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 23 2004, 23:34

Mike currently has no plans to remix any of his old albums in 5.1 - including Ommadawn.
However, the original surround mix of Ommadawn has been remastered by Simon Heyworth and awaits release by Virgin on SACD. It's really a nice mix, and I suspect more sympathetic to the music than anything Mike would do now. I look forward to its release.
Profile PM 
Chandra
Unregistered

Posted: May 24 2004, 03:19

Thank you. But what happened? The news about it was posted on the official webpage last year...?
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 24 2004, 05:07

The same as happened to the TB2003 premiere concert which Mike  sounded so sure was going to happen...

He changes his mind all the time, and at the moment he's getting very excited about the new album he's working on. I think he'd rather work on that than on remixing an old album. Maestro also took him a little longer to finish than he planned - the projected release date was before Christmas 2003.

But...remember also that Mike doesn't own the rights to Ommadawn - Virgin do, and as I mentioned before, they already have a surround version of Ommadawn awaiting release. It's quite likely that they don't want another! He's also still under contract to Warner as far as I'm aware - it's possible that they're not too happy about the idea of him spending time on a release for another label instead of working on something for them (they may even have the power to forbid him to do it, it would depend on his contract - certainly he couldn't do any composition work for release on another label, and he probably can't work as a performing artist for another label's release without their consent. Whether he can work for other labels as an engineer, I don't know).
Profile PM 
Chandra Offline

Posted: May 24 2004, 05:50

That sounds reasonable...so, any ideas about release dates of SACD Ommadawn or the new album?
Actually, I wasn't even aware that he's working on a new album. Any places with more information you can point me at?
Thanks
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 24 2004, 11:17

Chandra,the best place for you to go would be www.mikeoldfield.com

It's interesting what your saying about Mike and his contracts and record labels Korgie,it's seems Mike is almost trying himself in knots having made music for different labels,it just makes things harder and harder,for reasons you were talking about above,and with Mike coming to the end of his latest deal with Warner Spain,and lots of people calling for yet another label change,you have to wonder if it's such a good idea changing labels to often,and it might not have been such a bad idea to have taken RB up on his offer to Mike to sign for V2,because with the years of experience and all he has learnt and regretted,i'm sure he could have made a much better deal with Virgin than the first time,when he was stitched up.
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: May 24 2004, 14:02

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 24 2004, 05:07)
Mike doesn't own the rights to Ommadawn - Virgin do.

It should be clarified what is meant by "right." There is a copyright on the musical composition, and a copyright on the recording. Who gets those rights depends on the specifics of the contract between the artist and the label. Usually, the record label gets the copyright on the recording, and the artist keeps the copyright on the composition.

I don't know the details of the contract between Mike and Virgin, so I don't know if Mike had to sign away his copyright on his compositions. The fact that he was allowed to re-record Tubular Bells (after a 30 year waiting period) seems to indicate that he either retained or regained the rights to the composition.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 24 2004, 15:48

Virgin own both in Ommadawn's case, as they are the publishers too. However, it's the copyright on the sound recording which would most directly get in the way of Mike remixing Ommadawn.
The music of Tubular Bells 2003 was published jointly by EMI and Oldfield Music Ltd - I take this to mean that he's now gained part of the rights.

A very common arrangement is that the record label takes the copyright to the sound recording, and their associated music publishing company takes the copyright to the composition. Exceptions are more common these days, as some artists simply licence the music to the label rather than allowing them to hold any rights (beyond the reproduction rights), but it's still rare. More common is for the artist to have his/her own publishing company, thereby retaining the rights to the compositions (and gaining royalties which would otherwise be sucked away by the publishers).

There are no projected release dates for either Mike's next album or Ommadawn on SACD. In the case of Ommadawn, I simply know that the DSD master exists - there has been no word from Virgin to say that they are planning on releasing it, it's just waiting there for them to do so. In the case of the new album, I hope it's a long time before that comes out, though a cynical part of me suspects it'll probably be released sometime this winter...
Profile PM 
Rob Miles Offline

Posted: June 09 2004, 15:52

Hello everyone

Korgy, is that the first four-channel mix that was quad only and enjoyed a very short release before the Boxed version came out?

Rob

:-)?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 09 2004, 17:00

It's the Boxed mix - I wasn't aware that there was another.

The one you're thinking of may be the same as the Boxed release (though if you've heard it and it's different, then I guess this means there's one I don't know about!). The one I'm thinking of is QV2043, issued in February 1976 as far as I know, along with QVQS2043. I believe that the only difference between those two was the type of encoding used - QV2043 was SQ and QVQS2043 was, as the number indicated, QS. I haven't heard the SQ edition, but I do have the QS one (which is why I can only assume that the two are the same...I don't see why they'd be different, though the encoding processes will change things slightly) and I can say that, after having listened to it via an RM decoder (Regular Matrix, essentially the same as QS - it was a good way for a manufacturer to provide QS compatibility without paying Sansui, whose system QS was!) that it's the same as the Boxed mix. I think you'll find that they sound different in stereo though, although I don't think I've actually compared them.

So, that's I think the answer to this, but if you've got any contradictory information, I'd be interested to know.
Profile PM 
9 replies since May 23 2004, 12:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net