Hmmm... let me think about it 2  [10.00%]
Ommadawn?? Is that a sequel from 'Lord of the Rings'?? 1  [5.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Ommadawn 2011'?, What you reckon?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 15 2010, 19:40

It just came like a ray to my mind, some seconds ago. I know 'Ommadawn' was a better (in a technical way), more perfectly crafted work than 'Tubular Bells' in some instances, and re-recording it could become just a bit more irrelevant or routinary than in the 'Tubular Bells' case, or could just make no difference.

But just for a second, imagine only a little more looseness and variety in terms of sounds and instruments, how the moods and styles would be altered if just a little bit, the use of brand new technologies and sounds on this old classic, and, finally... a put-to-date live 'Ommadawn' tour with numbers of other musicians and bagpipes, African drums, mandolins, brass band, boy choirs, female choirs, epic guitar soloes... and some last-minute surprise... sends shivers through your veins, doesnnit???

Hand it to Mike and let him think about it. Bet he's gonna feel tempted  ;)

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2010, 08:59

I would just say that if it's what Mike wants to do, I would have no objection.

But I would prefer him working on a new album instead.

I think that all this remaster/re-playing process is enough, but hey, while in it, why not complete it by doing Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantation?

I may not really care, but some fans seems to really appreciate it, so why not.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2010, 10:04

No. Mike's continual revisiting of TB is pathetic, and none of the remakes come anywhere near the vibe of the original. I pray to whatever powers exist that he never does the same thing to my favorite MO album ever, Ommadawn.

Now, an Ommadawn tour with the extended ensemble you described would be awesome.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2010, 12:03

I would be highly upset if Ommadawn were tampered with.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2010, 11:11

Quote (kazav @ Nov. 17 2010, 18:03)
I would be highly upset if Ommadawn were tampered with.

So you're sayin' not to dare proposing some 'Amarok 2' or ahead, 'm I right??

huhuhu :O  :O  :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2010, 12:13

Amarok is not really so related to Ommadawn as MO seems to suggest himself. Those two albums are completely different in atmosphere, style, technique, colour of the mix...
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 26 2010, 17:51

I would think TB would be the only rework due to it's larger Pop culture status.

The best thing that may come from all this Re-mix shenanigans is that the New Album (with Mike working on the Re-mixes concurrently) May influence his writing  giving many here something they find lacking in his later Albums.

Ommadawn rework NO

Ommadawn Tour YES :D
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2010, 18:01

No No Nooooo!!! I have not listened to any remixe$ and dont intend to. Musical creation has endless or infinite boundries... why not something new!!, to keep fans interested. I think the poll says it all.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2010, 08:32

Quote (Jesse @ Nov. 26 2010, 18:13)
Amarok is not really so related to Ommadawn as MO seems to suggest himself. Those two albums are completely different in atmosphere, style, technique, colour of the mix...

I like that expression, colour of the mix. Good for the name of a modern album, isn't it :) ???

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2010, 12:32

I reckon he ought not do a goddamn thing. After I read about the botched guitar part in the Hergest Ridge 2010 remix I went back and -listened-. That was a month ago and I was aghast. Mike is still trashing his own music, why? The 1974 LP Porky Cut is still the best for HR. As far as Ommadawn, technology had progressed to the point by then......why? No reason to. I betcha Porky Peckham engineered that pressing too. Gimme a copy, though I don't need one. The US pressing of Ommadawn was fine. I got a nice copy in 1975. I'm in agreement-MO needs to do new material WITHOUT the Neil Sedaka bubblegum-grade lyricist. Or did that rumour finally die?

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2010, 03:19

Quote (Scatterplot @ Nov. 29 2010, 17:32)
I reckon he ought not do a goddamn thing. After I read about the botched guitar part in the Hergest Ridge 2010 remix I went back and -listened-. That was a month ago and I was aghast. Mike is still trashing his own music, why?

:D

Like how you tell it Scatter - have missed you - you Runaway Son. ;)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
10 replies since Nov. 15 2010, 19:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net