Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn 2010 Part One Surround Mix Faulty?, Is there an encoding fault?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 16 2010, 12:55

Quote (familyjules @ June 16 2010, 08:57)
Quote (The Caveman @ June 16 2010, 08:51)
I notice the kids are louder as well on the new mix.I always felt that the "remember-i'd rather be on horseback" was really quiet on the orginal,a wee bit louder on the Boxed version and on this new one it's right up there.

Yes the kids are indeed louder on the 2010 mix.  Too loud, I think.  You can clearly hear how out of time they are.

Listening to all three mixes this week I noticed the "I'd rather be on horseback" line was as near as non-existent on the Boxed mix, certainly present on the original 1975 mix, and upfront on the 2010 mix.

So.....different from the results you had, Caveman.  Are my ears faulty, or yours?   ;)

Jules

Is one of us suffering from Cloth Ears? :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 16:49

so to continue the debate about the surround mix...(for those that may still be interested)

I wrote to Amazon whom I bought my copy of asking them to check if they knew of any fault with the product and after a protracted wait which they blame slow response from their supplier (i.e. Universal - there's a surprise) they say that "no -  there is no known fault" - however we are going to send you a replacement anyway!

so the replacement arrived today and I played it and you know what? I really don't know what to think!

To me the replacement DOES sound different! but when I try to pin point what it is that's different I really can't tell!

So I put the first copy back on and I wonder if I'm going crazy because it sounds the same but after a while it doesn't!

Trying to do back to back comparisons with a DVD on one system is not easy but fortunately my player has a memory so if you stop playing a disc it remembers where you left off and plays from the same point the next time and it "sees" both of my discs as the same (naturally)... so flipping between the two it seems to me that the new disc has slightly better channel separation which gives a slightly cleaner clearer image of the sound, the instruments are very slightly better defined and the overall balance of the piece seems more harmonised...

or it could just be that I am willing it to sound better?!  ;)

If I was to perform a blind test I think I would be hard pressed to say which if either was different - however when I play the old disc I really start to feel uncomfortable and anxious and unsure - as if there is a subliminal message being played which is causing me to feel this way - but when the new disc plays I feel much better and can comfortably listen to the whole mix (which subjectively I still think isn't that good!;)

So the old disc sounds like there is a barely perceptible dampening or limitation field on the channels whilst the new disc sounds more spacious and harmoniously balanced.

either way I doubt I'll be listening to this mix much - I much prefer the DTS Boxed surround mix I have which has everything in its place and sounds fantastic by comparison.

by the way all numbers and codes on the disc were identical
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 19:15

" I wrote to Amazon from whom I bought my copy..."

A thousand lines by end-of-school, Laddie!  :p

p.s. Can't contribute to 5.1 debate.Can barely afford 1+1 with this
     Shower of Power in Government!   :(

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 03:31

Quote (Cooper Roy @ June 28 2010, 19:15)
" I wrote to Amazon from whom I bought my copy..."

A thousand lines by end-of-school, Laddie!  :p

p.s. Can't contribute to 5.1 debate.Can barely afford 1+1 with this
     Shower of Power in Government!   :(

CR

Thanks! I wondered why it didn't scan right. That's much better.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 12:43

And now Amazon UK have stopped selling the deluxe edition! Only available via marketplace sellers (some of whom are charging upto £64!!!;)

its all looking very suspicious...
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 13:28

"If I was to perform a blind test I think I would be hard pressed to say which if either was different - however when I play the old disc I really start to feel uncomfortable and anxious and unsure - as if there is a subliminal message being played which is causing me to feel this way - but when the new disc plays I feel much better and can comfortably listen to the whole mix (which subjectively I still think isn't that good"
  With all due respect after all this forum and Amazon talk about the "faulty part 1 mix". Should not we all recognise by now that some people just don't like the new surround mix and the changes in the levels of the instruments, guitars particularly? All the passage in inverted commas seems to me  like a childish (no offense intended, please)  denial of the truth: there is nothing wrong with the dvd at all.
Profile PM 
neilwilkes Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 04:55

I cannot help wondering if the metadata settings are out of whack in the early versions, and a dodgy "default" of -27dB dialnorm was used - my copies of all 3 titles have dialnorm at -31dB which is correct for music titles.
Can someone please tell me the hub code of a "faulty" disc?

FWIW, I think the new 5.1 mix is very good, although I prefer the Quad version if I had to choose between the two. I suspect this is because the only way I have heard the 5.1 mix is in the terrible Dolby Digital format instead of DTS - what IDIOT decided that the stupid video needed all that bitrate?
DD is horrible, it is like MP3, and smears the hell out of all the transients - and this is what I think some of you guys are hearing.

Who do we get in contact with for a better quality version of these mixes - this disc sounds nothing like what will have been heard in the control room.
Hell - I will author it myself if anyone wants me to.
Profile PM WEB 
alejandra Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 07:11

If you keep on saying loud enough that there are "faulty" copies of the Ommadawn DVD because there is a "subliminal message..." etc. etc. without any ACTUAL EVIDENCE time after time it will soon become internet truth though who knows, POSSIBLY, you MIGHT be wrong. Dolby digital may be inferior to DTS, but ...HORRIBLE??? ...don't tell me...(I would have preferred DTS of course). This whole discussion about faulty Ommadawns that turn out to sound exactly the same as the replacement copies some people are being sent is getting on my nerves a little bit. Imagine someone had said that that (IMHO) terrible jangly guitar-dobro-orwhateveritis in the middle of Hergest Ridge part 1 was due to a technical defect in the DVD manufacturing process- then repeat the story again and again and...Hey, "the Hergest Ridge Faulty Discs Urban Legend" has been born... "have you got that faulty copy where the jangly guitar guitar sounds louder than in my copy?". All this is said with a constructive spirit, no offence intended.
Profile PM 
neilwilkes Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 08:16

Quote (alejandra @ June 30 2010, 07:11)
If you keep on saying loud enough that there are "faulty" copies of the Ommadawn DVD because there is a "subliminal message..." etc. etc. without any ACTUAL EVIDENCE time after time it will soon become internet truth though who knows, POSSIBLY, you MIGHT be wrong. Dolby digital may be inferior to DTS, but ...HORRIBLE??? ...don't tell me...(I would have preferred DTS of course). This whole discussion about faulty Ommadawns that turn out to sound exactly the same as the replacement copies some people are being sent is getting on my nerves a little bit. Imagine someone had said that that (IMHO) terrible jangly guitar-dobro-orwhateveritis in the middle of Hergest Ridge part 1 was due to a technical defect in the DVD manufacturing process- then repeat the story again and again and...Hey, "the Hergest Ridge Faulty Discs Urban Legend" has been born... "have you got that faulty copy where the jangly guitar guitar sounds louder than in my copy?". All this is said with a constructive spirit, no offence intended.

I am NOT saying their are faulty copies around.
Please re-read & try to see what I am saying.
All I am asking is for the person who says he has got a faulty copy to please post the hub number because that will tell us - there is nothing wrong with my copy (apart from DD - more on this in a moment) and a different hub number tells us that a different master was used.
That is all.

FWIW, I agree that alleged "faults" can cause issues - especially when they are non existent. As a DVD author, and surround mixer/mastering engineer myself, I am well aware that 99% of all problems with surround, DVD and players is caused by setup not being right on the player, it's firmware or the amplifier. Every time I put out a title, I get the predictable "it doesn't work properly" mails forwarded to me by the label, and in almost every case it is a setup issue, and where it is not a setup issue it is usually buggy player firmware.

That being said, it can happen that a bad encoding will be replaced in a second edition - quietly. This has happened to me, when a disc that had the Video_TS supplied had a bad encoding in it that went silent 2 minutes before the end. We replaced every faulty copy even though not out fault. So it does happen. There have been at least 4 versions of Queen's 5.1 mix of ANATO. Changes are minor, but they are there.

Dolby Digital is horrible. It sounds nothing like the 24-bit 48kHz files do, the transients are smeared to hell and the top end goes non directional above 15kHz at 448kbps, and at 10kHz with 384kbps bitrates.
In this series - and I bought all 3 so far - who decided that the video needed the bulk of the bitrate? These are classic albums, and they deserve better than having most of the audio data thrown away. 6 channels at 5.1 with a resolution of 24/96 is 13,840kbps. 24/48 is just under 7,000kbps (6910 to be exact) and Dolby Digital is 448 - less than 0.5 compared to the original of 6.91Mbps.
DTS is much, much better - despite the fact that it is also lossy, it can be used at 24/96 and still go on a DVD-V disc using the same bitrate as a stereo LPCM stream at 16/48 resolution. The difference is like night & day.
Dolby is barely acceptable for film work, for music it is unacceptable to my ears. All that happens is that I wonder what the mix engineer thinks when he realises he has wasted his time mixing properly, as the bulk of the work will be tossed out.
Profile PM WEB 
alejandra Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 11:24

Neil, although I don't have your technical qualifications nor the same desire to show them off that you seem to have, (don't take it personal), I doubt very much you are going to find any difference between batches of Ommadawn DVD. Though not impossible, I have yet to hear any rational motivation for a fault: "guitars are too low", "the glockenspiel is almost inaudible where in the old mix I could hear it perfectly"...those are Oldfield's decisions for the new mix. You may like them or not, that does not "a faulty disc make". As for the horrible quality of Dolby digital, I have heard people talk about the difference between 720p High definition video and 1080p calling the former "horrible" with the same passion and level of technical jargon you use. It is just the choice of an adjective I object to, not the fact that DTS is much better, which we both may agree about. It just smells of -slight- snobbery on your part. OF COURSE this music deserves DTS or SACD or DVDaudio, but... Universal/Mercury has been very short-sighted about this and we have what we have. Could it be better? Oh, yeah. Is it awful? Certainly not. Cheers.
Profile PM 
neilwilkes Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 11:52

Alejandra, I think you are absolutely correct that there will be no differences. Easiest way to prove that is with Hub Codes.
Same hub code = same master, and that would squash this for once & all.
After all, a remix is exactly that - a remix.

As for DD - snobbery? No, not really. Just the thought that constantly irks me here and that is "who decided the VIDEO deserved more bitrate & better quality than the AUDIO?"
It really, seriously irks me that so many Music DVD are poor quality Dolby Digital instead of LPCM stereo & DTS surround.
I would prefer DVDA myself, don't like SACD much either - but would have been overjoyed to get DTS. DD only? That is a missed opportunity. It's as if the thinking goes "surround fans? eff yew see em"

As for 1080p/720p video, there is little difference unless viewed on a massive screen - although upscaled 720p will not be as good as full 720p either. Still, my way of thinking is that music discs should have the bulk of the bits for the, well, music.
Screw the video - it is irrelevant.

The mix here is a fine one though, and I for one would have loved the chance to hear it as it was in the studio - not the mess that is DD. The sound quality - to my ears - is superior in the DVDA I have of "boxed" that was decoded from the SQ CD sources. It's a very different mix to the Quad one though.
Profile PM WEB 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 18:10

I do earnestly hope that you two hard-done-by consumers detect some MUSIC buried deep within your respective purchases.
F**k knows, nether of you cares to mention such audible-exciter in your toys-outta-the-pram spat.
Hint: try listening without prejudice (thanks to G.Michael esq.)

CR

;)

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 18:31

Quote (Cooper Roy @ June 30 2010, 18:10)
I do earnestly hope that you two hard-done-by consumers detect some MUSIC buried deep within your respective purchases.
F**k knows, nether of you cares to mention such audible-exciter in your toys-outta-the-pram spat.
Hint: try listening without prejudice (thanks to G.Michael esq.)

CR

;)

For those who wish to debate the merits of the musical content of these releases, there are plenty of threads elsewhere for that - this is a (fascinating) standalone thread debating the alleged technical deficiencies of the DVD, as the thread title would suggest.

If you are so aggrieved by said discussion, no-one is forcing you to read this thread, and if you have nothing to add to the topic then why bother posting here at all?

I realise you've added a smily wink to your comment, so your post may well have been in jest, so apologies if I seem a little harsh. But you did just quote George Michael on us, so I'm perfectly entitled to get a little ratty!!  ;)
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 18:59

At the risk of sounding anal, I'll just go and check the number round my spindle-hole...  :O

CR

:p

--------------
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 01 2010, 17:29

Anal bleachers r us has just left a gift card at reception.
Depravity in the wrong cavity indeed ;)
Profile PM 
captainknut Offline

Posted: July 06 2010, 17:01

I note no comparison has yet been made of the hub codes. So - what's the verdict?

It is a fact that Amazon have pulled it from their lists. This must mean *something*, surely? The question is - what?
Profile PM 
neilwilkes Offline

Posted: July 07 2010, 07:14

mine is IFPI LV27.
I have no problems at all with mine - what everyone who thinks this is faulty needs to remember are the following:
1 - This is a REMIX. That means that levels will not be the same as the stereo.
2 - This is surround, not stereo, so balance will be different.
3 - This is Dolby Digital, so you MUST watch out for certain player settings, specifically DRC in the player firmware. If this is set to anything except OFF then results will vary dramatically.

Also, Amazon certainly are still listing this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ommadaw....&sr=1-1

and on the US
http://www.amazon.com/Ommadaw....&sr=1-1
Profile PM WEB 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 07 2010, 07:34

It is very weird. Its clear tho that some people do not think that something is right - certainly with regard to Part One.

Its not as if people have flagged any concerns with Hergest Ridge or any other surround release - so why has this one caused such a reaction?

If it was just to do with sound levels or the way it was mixed we would just be dealing with posts like the ones about the strumming banjo in Hergest Ridge Part One. Everyone says thats a mistake - but not in the sense that it is a technical fault but an artistic one.

With Ommadawn Part One for some people it sounds technically wrong. Maybe its their set up but why are they not complaining about any other release or even about Part Two? Remember people seem to agree that Part Two sounds fine. Hergest Ridge sounds fine as does Tubular Bells 2009 and 2003...plus any other surround release they may have.

Amazon UK have stopped selling the product themselves. It is only available through 3rd party suppliers.
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 07 2010, 07:38

Jesus (and Michael of Oldfield,probably) wept... :zzz:

CR

--------------
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
captainknut Offline

Posted: July 08 2010, 10:14

Quote (neilwilkes @ July 07 2010, 07:14)
Also, Amazon certainly are still listing this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ommadaw....&sr=1-1

Listing, yes. Selling, no.

You cannot buy it new from Amazon anymore, only as second-hand from third-party dealers.
Profile PM 
40 replies since June 08 2010, 15:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net