Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn 2003 Excerpt, ...with guitar< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 11 2003, 23:37

I came up with a VERY accurate Ommadawn distortion sound on my GT-6 and I wanted to show you all and what better way then to play Ommadawn itself? But I'm tired of making all the rest of the music....so I took Booster's Ommadawn 2003 track and cut an excerpt out and played along with it (hope you don't mind, Booster lol)!

Enjoy. (NOTE: many mistakes ;) and the guitar might be a tad too loud)

http://smc.sq7.org/brandon/ommadawn_quick.ogg

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 12 2003, 00:02

Very nice sound...

Mistakes, yes, but damn, you can play  :cool:

Khoa

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: June 12 2003, 06:28

Hey, this goes well together! Maybe you two should make an "Ommadawn Guitars". Beautiful guitar sound, Brandon, very nice!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER
Unregistered

Posted: June 12 2003, 06:39

Hey Brandon,

I don't mind indeed though right now I can't listen...I am at school will listen soon ;)
don't worry

but hmm what about to team up and make another version of Ommadawn 2003? ;)

I think your live guitar playing would spice it many times more up ;)

so just tell me...anyways I am sure what you have done is excellent as usuall ;)

Posted: June 12 2003, 07:30

Thank you, people. I'd be delighted to do a team-cover with you, Booster. Ommadawn being a good choice! But I've got a lot on my plate as of now and don't want to overflow it (it's already going overboard now! lol). Making music for a game, managing a website (though I've been slacking off....proves how much I'm doing), making a small tune for another person's game, that Finale multi-fan cover we're all doing. Maybe once I finish all my parts for the Finale cover, we can work something out.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 12 2003, 09:00

Ok...sounds good to me... (I need to re-do my Bells Part too :-S since of that mistaken note) and I need to finally get my CD of Reason :(

Mate you have really good hands to play the guitar...seems you love it ;) I can feel that ;)

I think a kind of a collaboration between us would sound wonderfull ;)
and Ommadawn with your guitars and me on other instruments would be really good ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 13 2003, 14:00

just wondering...why no more people comment this one?

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: June 13 2003, 23:07

Well...what more is to be said that's already been said? lol :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 08:19

As always I'm willing to reply but I hadn't noticed this subject before (life's too short ;) )

Nice guitar sound. I'd like to hear a version in which you've spent some more time in getting the notes right. But that's the only thing negative I'm gonna say about it. I like the overall result. The two of you should do something together when you can.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: June 14 2003, 11:18

As I said, there are many mistakes :).......had I taken more time I would have ironed them out.
But I'm curious, what parts are the wrong notes?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 11:45

BOOsTER has taken the liberty to use different chords, as where you play the original solo.
In other words is doesn't match realy well, but you already knew that.....

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: June 14 2003, 13:23

Actually I have a sneaky feeling he took one of the MIDIs off this site and changed all the instruments. It sounds remarkably similar to one MIDI on this site. Mostly because the harmony notes at 10:19 and 10:55 on his original tune. The same wrong notes used on a MIDI on this site....yeah

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 13:35

well I played it as it's in the midi ;) so it's based on it...

I think there is nothing bad on it huh? ;)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: June 14 2003, 13:47

Other than those wrong harmony notes, I think it's good....but way too laid-back and in the background. Though the original Ommadawn was laid back, but this one is even more laid back lol. It's not something I would put in my playlist. It's high quality enough, for sure, but everything is just so quiet. Almost like the music is whispering. I'd prefer it to be more up-front. I'd even prefer the original Ommadawn to be more up-front.

All in all, I don't think it's interesting enough to listen to (well maybe for the first couple times listening to the differences etc) but there was a lot of work put into it I can tell and it does it's job. A good one at that.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 14:02

I was really really sad...when I made Ommadawn 2003 :/ so I did not want it to be upfront...I wanted it to be very quiet and calm...I think it came out as I wanted ;)
sorry for that...

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: June 14 2003, 14:13

Oh no problem. As I said you did a good job. Just not what I would do lol. In fact if I was sad I'd probably make something with the up-frontness up Far Above the Clouds and other TB3 tracks but with the feeling of TSODE. Something Hibernaculum and Only Time Will Tell-ish. Maybe even something like Ascension....yes Ascension...what a great piece.

Anyways...back on topic...great job! :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: June 14 2003, 16:12

yes u have done a great job too ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: June 15 2003, 16:23

Yes guys, the both of you have done a great job...

--------------
Profile PM 
Huckleberry_Ovaltine Offline

Posted: June 19 2003, 18:08

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ June 11 2003, 23:37)
I came up with a VERY accurate Ommadawn distortion sound on my GT-6 and I wanted to show you all and what better way then to play Ommadawn itself?

I was wondering if you might be able to share some of how you got this tone.  I know a lot of the sound has to do with playing style, but I would really appreciate it if you could share some amp, eq, and guitar settings.  

I have been trying to come close to this tone on my Pod, but just can't get it to sound right.  I've been able to come up with some other Oldfield tones, but not this one.  Thanks.
Profile PM 

Posted: June 19 2003, 20:56

Well, I sort of stumbled on it by accident. I was actually trying to get a more 90's+ Oldfield sound but I was hitting dead ends. To test what I had so far, I decided to play along with Ommdawn to see if I could make it sound more modern-like with his newer sound. But I ended up fooling around with it until I got it sounding almost exactly like Ommdawn itself. And quite by accident, too. So I decided to keep it.

Anyway, here are the settings (GT-6). I'm not sure if half of these even contribute to the sound, not to mention that your pedal might not even have some of these I'm listing, but I'll list them anyway. I will only list the effects that are actually on. Whatever I don't list, I'm not using (this is bound to be looong):

Overdrive/Distortion=
Type- OD-1
Drive- 100
Bass- 0
Treble- 0
Level- 55

Reverb=
Type- Hall 1
Rev Time- 3.4s
Pre Delay- 30ms
Low Cut- 165Hz
High Cut- 4.00khz
Density- 10
Effect Level- 54

EQ= (Probably the most important)
Low EQ- -20dB
Lo-Mid f- 100Hz
Lo-Mid Q- 1
Lo-Mid EQ- 0dB
Hi-Mid f- 10.0kHz
Hi-Mid Q- 16
Hi-Mid EQ- 0dB
High EQ- 0dB
Level- +15dB

Sub EQ (FX-2 Bank)= (Second most important)
Low EQ- 0dB
Lo Mid f- 10.0kHz
Lo-Mid Q- 0.5
Lo-Mid EQ- 0dB
Hi-Mid f- 10.0kHz
Hi-Mid Q- 16
Hi-Mid EQ- -20dB
High EQ- -20dB
Level- 0dB

Well that seems to be it. I don't think the sound is THAT perfect yet. There are multiple sounds on Ommadawn he uses and the sound I used for the part I played doesn't sound like the sound he used on that part on the original Ommadawn. So you can fool around with it from there. At least you have somewhere to start from. If you succeed better than I, please let me in! Also if you have any more 'patches', please send them to me as well. I'm struggling with a couple myself.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
29 replies since June 11 2003, 23:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net