Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Oldfield vs. Campbell?, Anyone else noticed?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
natertb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 21 2004, 20:30

I am probably the only one who's noticed this, but on Tubular World, there is a vocal sample from Tevin Campbell! The sample is from Prince's Graffiti Bridge, from a track called Round And Round. Check it out!

--------------
Waiting hour by hour...
Profile PM 
mikex Offline

Posted: July 30 2005, 16:15

HI,

Thank god. I thought I was the only one who knew about this!

When I try to explain to people who Tevin Campbell is they look at me with a very confused look.

"It is the little guy from Graffiti Bridge" I say.

"Graffiti what?" They say

Round and Round is a great song. Thanks for mentioning this, I thought I was going mad!

--------------
Anthropolologee, upstairs and inside a revelation is blinking well baffling!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2005, 03:08

I only remember hearing one song from Tevin Campbell years ago, he was only a teenager, and thinking he sounded like a young Stevie Wonder. I'm a little confused as I don't know the track you speak of but are you suggesting it has a similarity to an MO track?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
mikex Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2005, 11:07

Hi TubularBelle,

On Tubular World you can hear a young voice sing (I'll try my best to explain!;) 'ahh yeah a yeah'

This is sampled from Teven Campbell's 'Round and Round' (Graffiti Bridge OST - Prince)

Copy and paste (rather than clicking direct) the link below into your browser and if you have a player capable of supporting 'Windows Media' it should play a sample of the song.

http://www.amazon.com/exec....4543830

Hope this all makes sense!

Regards..Mikex

--------------
Profile PM 
mikex Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2005, 11:10

Sorry TubularBelle,

The link didn't come up too well. So, click the link and it will take you direct to the Amazon page of Graffiti Bridge. Then go further down that page and listen to sample.

Hope it works if not let me know.

Mikex

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2005, 18:26

@ Mikex: unfortunately the part of the song where Tevin K. sings "aah yeah a yeah" [or rather "aah yeah, yeah, yeah"... that's how I hear it!! :D] is not contained in the sample featured in the Amazon page. :( But I know full well what you're talking about, because I've got the Graffiti Bridge disc and I love it :). In the original song, the vocal phrase appears at the very beginning, 0:01-0:03.
I'm also pretty sure that the voice in Tubular World singing "talk, talk" [or something like that... :)], right after the Tevin K. sample, is taken from the Graffiti Bridge soundtrack as well, though right now I cannot remember the exact song that it's taken from. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
mikex Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 06:20

Thanks Ugo,

I put the amazon link to get an idea of the song for TubularBelle.

I used to own the GB album, but it got lost when I moved, I keep meaning to get round to getting it again. I have the movie though.

MO constantly surprises me with his inovative use of music and to use the Tevin Campbell sample was great. Tevin had a great voice then (I haven't heard anything else by him since).

Thanks again Ugo, always good to talk about MO

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2005, 22:59

Well I played the link and then listened to Tubular World, (sorry about my silly question earlier, I thought Tubular World was a site, forgot it was a track on SODE because I found this post in 'new' posts) but I couldn't hear any connection, will keep trying tho, thanks.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 08:05

@ Tracy (TubularBelle): as I said above, the excerpt linked on the amazon.com page does not contain the tiny fragment sampled by Mike, as it is in the very beginning of the song "Round and Round". If you want, I can make an mp3 of it and send it to you. Please PM me if you want me to. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2005, 22:31

Thanks Ugo, but don't bother, I might just download it myself and have a listen.

--------------
Profile PM 
9 replies since April 21 2004, 20:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net