Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Oldfield the immortal< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Archangel Foster Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 22 2000, 13:49

What will it be like in, say, two or three hundred years, when they celebrate Mike as one of the grand masters of European musical history? Because they will, no doubt about that...
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2000, 20:34

There can be only one.
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2000, 23:36

Will there still be these discussions about whether his 'new' (or 'later', as they will be called then) albums are bad, or will those have been sorted out once and for all?
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 05:30

Perhaps, maybe hopefully, albums like Tubular Bells III, Guitars and TMB will not be referred to as "later" albums, but as Mike's "middle period". (Or, alternatively, amongst people who hold them in low regard, his "midlife crisis").
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 06:16

I think people will eventually come to their senses and realise that albums like "Tubular Bells III", "Songs Of Distant Earth" and "Guitars" are just as good as everything he did in the seventies.
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 07:58

Bennyboy, that's just what I was aiming at.
Tim, you're right, not 'later' but 'middle period'... not 'midlife crisis' though (although it would make a nice album title... jokin'!) I hope Mike will continue making music until he can't hold a Guitar anymore. Honestly! biggrin
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2000, 08:33

And then, when he can't hold a guitar anymore, he'll go back over his past material and sample some of it, use a computer to mix it all together and continue to release "new" albums. Perhaps Sonic Virtual Reality will be the dividing line between the first installment of Mike's musical career and the second.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2002, 05:17

In the future, the Tubular Bells Theme will be the national anthem, and Mike's birthday will be a public holiday. And, tribute bands will make a fortune doing public concerts (the Moonlight Shadow's)

We can only hope

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2002, 13:25

Hey folks, perhaps it's up to us to start lobbying parliaments all over the world to ensure MO gets true recognition. I like the idea of a new National Anthem and as for additional public holidays...well, where do I start. Mike's birthday, Mike's children's birthdays, release date of Tubular Bells, plus an additional day in recognition of Mike's unparalleled contribution to music and the arts...

This would be a good time to start too - the Queen should be in a fairly good mood with it being Golden Jubilee year and all that, so I'm sure we can count on her support... eek

Cheers,

T4

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 08 2002, 04:57

Prehaps Time magazine man of the year for starters. Then prehaps we can build statues or monuments (a huge tubular bell would be good, or prehaps build that Crises building in the middle of a lake smile )

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 08 2002, 14:29

ahem, why does he have to be only recognized as a grand master in Europe?? what about the rest of the world? smile

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
10 replies since Dec. 22 2000, 13:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net