Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Oldfield now and then< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
morten Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 03 2001, 09:31

I have recently downloaded the whole viareggio bootleg from 1984, and I must say that both sound and performance is suberb. Especially Simon Phillips' drums. Some would say he plays a bit over the top, but I prefer this to his recent years of boring rhythm sections (just listen to "Shadow on the wall, Then and now tour) Of course there are mistakes, and Barry Palmers singing is often out of tune. I would say that this was his best live period.

I mean that Mike lost focus on interesting music after the mid-80s. After '85, all he did was boring europop frownEarthmoving, Islands, Heavens' open), sentimental new age music(Voyager,Songs..,)or recirculating old stuff (TB3,Mill B) Of course there are good things too (TB2,Amarok). This is maybe a provocative subject here, but I can't accept that everything's brilliant just because MO has made outstanding music before. Many old stars have unfortunately faded away, and I feel that Oldfield is one of them.

Let me know if you agree or disagree.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 04 2001, 05:30

I disagree, especially about TSODE. New Age for me is where there is the same chord held for twenty minutes with whale song played over the top and perhaps some synth arpgeggios floating about in hideously long reverbs.

TSODE takes a theme with a clear narative and developes it throughout the piece. The whole styling could not be mistaken for anyone other than Oldfield. I do not understand why using a Gregorian-style choir with synthesizers immediately merits comparisons with Enigma, which actually is quite a boring variation on a theme (IMHO).

Voyager could have been better, perhaps, but it has it's moments. Mont St Michel is a fine piece of orchestral work, although it reminds me of the Moody Blues' "Days Of Future Passed" album in places. Apparently someone at the record company suggested he do a folk album because it was what everyone seemed to be in to at the time.

As for Mike loosing his focus after the mid 1980s; I felt he lost it a little around Platinum/ QE2 (although his live stuff from this time is superb) as he started to do songs and things commercially. There are a couple of good pieces from this area (the long instrumentals on FMO, Crises, and of course the whole of Amarok which is gorgeous).

Then around the time of Amarok he seemed to like doing his own thing again (Heaven's Open was a joke on Virgin, again IMHO). TB2 was something he'd been wanting to do since 1982, and I'm glad he waited. TB3 was, I think, mis-titled as it would have been a fine seperate piece without the Tubular Bells label. I can't help but wonder if it would have charted as highly if the album had been called Far Above The Clouds or something.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2001, 10:23

I totally disagree too! If anything I see a progressive maturity and purity in Mike's music. Tubular Bells III is certainly not a rehashing of an old theme - it's a refreshing new tubular experience and has become my favorite of the Tubular trilogy. I also love Voyager - i've always loved celtic music and Mike, with his unique style, brings out a wonderful sound on this album. TSODE is a fantastic album too -showing Mike is not stuck in a rut musically, but actually progressing on. I dislike 'New Age' music anyway, and would not class this album as such. It is an accurate replection of Arthur.C.Clarke's novel of the same name - Mike's just using the sound that best fits it!

Well, better not go on too much!

Tim

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2002, 19:02

hi!tell me where i can find viarregio 84!please tell me! i will be waiting you!!!!!!!

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Son of Distant Earth Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2002, 14:27

I prefer Mike's music "now" as opposed to "then." ;) My first MO album was TSODE and I fell in love with it almost immediately. Subsequently I went out and bought a bunch of other MO albums, working my way backward through the catalog, and I think in the last decade or so Mike's settled into a style all his own. TSODE had such an atmosphere to it - the melodies, as well as the production. The guitars (tone) sound absolutely perfect on that one and not sort of "tinny" as they did on previous albums (though the guitar work on such albums was by no means inferior).  I don't think it was "over-produced either - I think it was simply more disciplined. The sounds were all there in the right places.

I also think Tr3s Lunas is Mike's best since TSODE and, unlike many MO fans I know, I love the sax effect. Took me days to replicate it on my brother's BOSS pedal. ;)

Ah, well, my two cents. :cool:
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since Dec. 03 2001, 09:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net