Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Old tin boxes" funny note< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 18 2001, 20:45

Hi. This is aimed especially at Olivier and Korgscrew, who have excellent MO discographies online smile, but of course if someone else replies before, I'm glad about it. smile
Which MO album features a funny note on the (original) sleeve about it not being playable on old tin boxes (no matter what they are fitted with)? I thought it was TB, but there's nothing of that sort on the back cover of the CD booklet, which (I think) reproduces exactly the back of the LP sleeve (I have CDV2001)...I've also checked all the other CD booklets, but since none of 'em reproduces the original LP sleeve frown, I couldn't find that note. Can any of you out there help me? wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 18 2001, 20:58

It's on the back of the sleeve, in the bottom left hand corner, on the sea. I can see it on my 1983 CD. I'm not sure if it is on the remastered CD or not. I can guess it on the 25th anniversary CD, but it's unreadable on this sleeve and it's cut on the left. I don't have any, but I'm pretty sure it's on all LP sleeves.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2001, 08:15

Thanx, Olivier... found it...it's also on my cover...yes, it's unreadable. wink

But in the meantime, while re-reading my question, a deeper one sprung to my mind: when adapting LP covers to the CD format (I'm not talking about MO only, but about LP sleeves in general), do you think it is important to preserve ALL the details on the original sleeve, even if (as with the TB note) they turn out to be unreadable or not understandable on the CD cover? Or should the covers be adapted, omitting the "irrelevant" details? And if so, what kind(s) of details do you consider "irrelevant" ? confused smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 20 2001, 12:11

The format and proportions of a painting is obviously very important. For a very commercial item like a sleeve, it's probably less important, but still. Some sleeves were artistically designed with the LP format in mind, and they don't render well on CD. It could probably be an interesting idea to remove some small details, or, maybe, on the contrary, to zoom on a part of the original LP sleeve. For economic reasons, most of the time, the LP sleeve is reduced, and some details become unoticeable. I remember I read an article about an artist who is specialized in CD sleeves for classical music CDs. This artist takes into account the size, the jewel case, maybe the fact that the image can appear smaller on websites, etc.
Maybe the TB2 sleeve is an intelligent one: like TB, with less details. But it's a brand new album, and brand new sleeve, not a LP transferred to CD.
The remasters sleeves are stupid ones: poor scans of the original sleeve. When the sleeve is a photo with text above, they could at least have changed the fonts of unreadable text, and maybe use more modern fonts for the titles...
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 01 2002, 03:10

it's in the booklet of the 25th anniversary edition. i cant see it on the vinyl i have of it. i have a quadrophonic version.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since Sep. 18 2001, 20:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net