Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: oh my God..., new album, voices, some thoughts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MikeAholic Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 14:21

Quote (Sentinel101 @ Oct. 15 2005, 19:09)
I listened to the mp3-files on oldfield.de where Mike describes how the music of L&S emerged. I think his current approach quite boring. He goes into the studio, turns on the computer, clicks and presses some buttons and waits what is happening then. He doesn't seem to have a goal or anything.

And, and I presume, most of the members of this forum, could go into the same studio and turn on the computer as much as we want, and absolutely nothing would come out.

The fact that Mike can still make melodies, is because he still has got it, he's just using other stuff.

Are you using type writers or a word processor to type your letters ? ;)

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 15:01

I remember Noel Gallegher complaining that band members allways need paying, and they complain a lot. Sometimes they're not on form because of drink and drug issues. You name it, they all have it...
It was an interesting interview.
I wonder how many reasons Mike really has for using synthetic voies instead of real singers. A pity though i believe.
Like Mike, i believe the female voice is a wonderfull sound.....and he used to get the best from all of his vocalists, some nice female vocals and L+S would have more to offer me.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 15:12

And, and I presume, most of the members of this forum, could go into the same studio and turn on the computer as much as we want, and absolutely nothing would come out.

I think you may be wrong there. By the sounds of things there are a fair few memebers of this forum able to work musical technology far more effectively than Mike.
Profile PM 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 15:46

Quote (MikeAholic @ Oct. 16 2005, 14:21)

The fact that Mike can still make melodies, is because he still has got it, he's just using other stuff.

Are you using type writers or a word processor to type your letters ? ;)

I talked about TSODE so I didn't want to make my point about   acoustic against electronic instruments. This doesn't really matter although I think that there is a remarkable distinction. I may be wrong but human beings seem to react in a different way to acoustic instruments. I think this is because the history of the instruments reaches back in time to the very beginning of human kind. Guitars, flutes, strings etc. still have this fuzzyness and small imperfections that oscillates perfectly with the quite "mechanical" process of hearing (think about the small bones in our ears that transport the vibrations).

Mike can still make melodies, this is true, and some of them on L&S are really brilliant (Blackbird). But mostly they are just repeated. Mike was the maestro in introducing a lot of melodies and making variations and combinations that made his works so fascinating and complex. Today the pieces have their melody and ... that's it. The variations are missing, even in the instrumentation.
Profile PM 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 16:38

Quote (Sentinel101 @ Oct. 16 2005, 15:46)
The variations are missing, even in the instrumentation.

Including vocalists
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 08:33

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 16 2005, 15:12)
I think you may be wrong there. By the sounds of things there are a fair few memebers of this forum able to work musical technology far more effectively than Mike.

That comment is very controversial!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 08:46

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 16 2005, 23:44)
In fact there hasn't been much really nice acoustic work from him, on the albums at least, since Mont St Michel, though I suppose Serpents Dream was quite nice but I aways though he over produced that track, the live versions sounded way more alive.

How can you forget Muse? It's my favourite of all his acoustic pieces.

You have a very good point about Mike's guitar being his true voice. I'm just thinking about the tracks from Mike's recent albums (TB3 and onwards) that I really, really love. I can think of Far Above the Clouds (almighty guitar solo), Muse (wonderful acoustic guitar), No Man's Land reprise (acoustic and electric guitar), the Tubular Bells excerpt and the light show music from the Berlin 2000 DVD (perhaps the best soaring guitar I've ever heard),Ambient Guitars (wonderfully sensitive guitar), Tears of an Angel (great guitar all round). I notice a somthing of a guitar-based pattern here.  So yes, I agree he is best when he's behind a guitar. Wearing a guitar? Whatever. I still say he's me favourite guitarist of all time, and I would love him to make more use of that instrument.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 13:02

Quote (Chicular @ Oct. 17 2005, 08:33)
Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 16 2005, 15:12)

That comment is very controversial!

Not necessarily. I personally think that MusicallyInspired (Brandon Blume) did a better job on Snow Cavern Flight from Tr3s Lunas II than Mike did on Ringscape. Brandon knew just how far to push it without it being corny - and whilst there is an element of beauty to Ringscape, to me, it just doesn't hold water. I find myself playing SCF straight after, or even stopping Ringscape and switching to it rather than having to listen to it. It all comes down to how you put it together.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
27 replies since Oct. 14 2005, 15:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net