Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Off to a flying start..., Mike's fanbase increases by 1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gregrobson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 31 2002, 10:45

Just thought I'd say what a fantastic site this is for someone who has just discovered the magic of Mike Oldfield. :)

After downloading TB's 1, 2, 3 and Tr3s Lunas to see whether I like his music as a whole, I can quite happily say that I don't think any of his music disagrees with me yet. A friend of mine gave me a CD with another 9 album's worth and he is now my favourite artist. :D

Now all I have to do is buy his back catalogue so I can encode my own MP3's so that they do more justice than the 128kbps version I have.

I know find myself considering buying a Super Audio CD player just for the fact that Tubular Bells is available in that format!

I saw his interview on the Heaven and Earth show and I have to say he is one of the most intriguing artists out there.

May the 21st century symphonies continue! :)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2002, 12:30

Hi gregrobson,welcome aboard the good train Mike Oldfield,i found it interesting the way you came to know Mike's music,because i started a topic on this forum,asking what album's you would play to someone who does'nt know Mike or his music,and i suppose the albums that you heard would give you a wide idea of Mike's genius,from the begining of his career right upto his last release,now,from here you can go and listen to his wonderful back catalogue.
Out of interest,how did you hear of Mike?.
Profile PM 
gregrobson Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2002, 17:59

As far as I can remember it was Richard Branson's (excellent) autobiography that made me spend the time to find out more about the man that gave Virgin Music it's start.

I tend to download tracks to get a feel for music I like (I like a WIDE variety of music :) ) and then buy CDs if I think the artist is worthwhile, so I started off at the beginning with Tubular Bells, then I did a few searches on Amazon and found out about Tr3s Lunas and Tubular Bells II (which is one of my fave pieces so far ;) ).

Unfortunately the best artists (like Mike) don't have the lesser known music available for download so I ended up getting the more well known music (which is still good).

Now one of my friends has also given me this CD of MP3's of about 9 albums of his I can work out which albums I want to buy first (it's an impressive back catalogue he's built up! ). The only shame is that big sites like Amazon don't have the rarer material in stock and finding the rarer stuff on Amazon could involve a 4-6 week wait! It's like trying to find some of Isaac Asimov's lesser known books!
Profile PM 
2 replies since Aug. 31 2002, 10:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net