Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Of bells and all things tubular, An article which may be of interest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
FIREBIRD Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2009, 16:45

http://www.helium.com/items/768377-memoirs-music-from-the-70s

Hello I'm new here... I've been a fan since I was 16...I'm 50 now! I wrote the above article as I'm a writer and thought it might be of some interest to you all. I always listen to Mike's music when I write.  I went to 6 concerts in a week once back in 1979 - is that a record? Lol.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 05 2009, 21:36

Welcome, Firebird! Nice to have you here! Are you going to the International Day of the Bell?

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 21:51

Great article Firebird,brilliantly honest and highly amusing."Mike Oldfield the group",and "stomping seven miles home in your platform shoes" gave me a couple of big belly laughs.Oh yeah and I used to have Debbie Harry on the inside of my school desk.But you know I didn`t attend an all-girls school more`s the pity so I guess that`s why I got away with that one.It`s kind of strange though some of the weird and wonderful conclusions we would draw about people back then before the internet and media focus etc.For the longest time I can remember thinking that Paul McCartney sang lead vocal on every single Beatles record because he was the only guy doing anything in the charts at the time.(i.e. late 70`s).Yeah there was me this great big Beatles fan,and I had John Lennon down as the harmonica player who possibly strummed a little bit as well.
Profile PM 
FIREBIRD Offline

Posted: June 06 2009, 04:42

I'm pleased you liked my article.

I wrote a poem about Mike too

http://www.helium.com/items/1323960-musical-genius

I also include quite a few references to his music in my writing.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 01:33

:p welcome on board firebird! you have come to the best site for all things bell shaped and informative, enjoy my friend, deb
Profile PM 
FIREBIRD Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 03:44

Many thanks for the welcome everyone.

Did anyone attend any of the bell ringing events? They were all a bit far away from where I live.

I've just included the link to my first article again as it didn't work properly initially.

http://www.helium.com/items/768377-memoirs-music-from-the-70s
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2010, 06:44

Just read the article again, lots of humour and things from the 70s I can relate to. Like flared jeans, peasant tops, fluoro t shirts, bandannas and hooch, Cheech and Chong, Miami Vice (yuk), Magnum PI (now an ice cream) The Dukes of Hazzard, The Love Boat and best of all Tubular Bells! Any one care to have a good old reminesce? Deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2010, 08:13

Lol.Just read it.Mike Oldfield dead in 75?At the tender age of 22!Funny.It's true that we are spoiled in this age of the internet.I've been here 2 years on the 20th (I only remember cos it was my birthday)and i've learnt a vast amount.Before the internet it was really hard to find any info at all as he really did want to stay out of the limelight,hence the move to Kington.
 I also see what you mean about it relating to Devon.My family are all from Exeter so i spent a lot of time there and on Dartmoor as a kid and,being a child of the 70's and growing up (that's open for debate btw)in the 80's i had a walkman permanantly on.On the journey down i would always put QE2 on when we were going past Bristol and it just seemed to fit perfectly!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
7 replies since June 05 2009, 16:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net