Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ode To Joy, a bit off-topic :D< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 06 2003, 09:40

Yea I know it's not MO track...though I think mike's fans might like it...and I desperately need some comments on it :) I tried to keep as high quality as I could so comment comment comment... I have rearranged the original a bit and added some minor changes...

For dumb: Ode To Joy is by Beethoven in original.

LINK: http://www.rebirth.nd4spdworld.com/stuff/OdeToJoy.mp3

I hope you will like it :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 10:46

Sound quality contest round four  :D

though I think mike's fans might like it

The one typing this doesn't. I've got a weak spot for classic, but I don't like this at all. Some notes seem just wrong (I think you know that yourself), but that's nothing compared with the totally miss-catched spirit of it. Very bad choice of instruments. Compared with your previous track I don't think the reverb is that much of a trouble, though. And at 3:00 you use... well... just noice! That's terrible!
I hope that you learned something from making the track, because your last classical experiments (as far as doge's palace is classical) aren't quite entertaining for the audiance.

Other remark: your track stopped at 6:35, while it was indicated as 6:56. Don't know whether it's my player's problem or your's, but I'm mentioning it anyway.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 11:18

First to your problem ...it seems you use an old player that doesn't support VBR encoded mp3s...means variable bitrate...when there is noise or bass it gets bitrate down and when the full high sounds are played it has more bitrate so it saves bandwidth and provides good quality... (sorry my explanation is not great I know that)

to your other words:
heh I did not really like what you said :/ but oh well...beginnings are always hard...I would like to change my direction from electronica to acoustic genres or classical... though I dont think I have too much success in that by now :D

--------------
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 16:05

Just a lil notice...hmm is there anyone with a nice beautifull positive comment? :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 06 2003, 18:05

Since I know almost by heart (and love) Beethoven's original version, I must admit that you did a good job this time. Only adjust the dynamics a bit, and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remove that huge cloak of reverb hangin' over everything. It'll sound MUCH better. :)

P.S. And if you want a good point-of-reference to start from, check out Walter Carlos' version of the same piece on the Clockwork Orange soundtrack. ;)

Edited by Ugo on May 06 2003, 18:06

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 18:16

To Music, the ancient language: in case you didn't understand :), what Booster re-did is (part of) Beethoven's original 'Ode to Joy', as performed at the end of Ludwig's 9th symphony, and, trust me, he didn't get a single wrong note in it. :) And the instruments (except for the electric guitar replacing the vocals) are exactly the same as in the original score of the work. If I did it, I'd have used a Moog-like synth to play the vocal lines... but this is a completely different matter. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 19:33

Allright, I don't know much about English music terms, but I'll try to explain my opinion a bit.

And the instruments (except for the electric guitar replacing the vocals) are exactly the same as in the original score of the work

I don't think I understand you. Did Beethoven use synthetic instruments with an high 'acid'-like feel?
Take by example the instrument that opens the song: it's almost like a chain saw  :D  It seems an intro to a parody track for it. And being a synth it loses lots of subtlety which can be expressed by a real instrument, and thus making it bombastic. You're blaiming the reverb, but I wonder if you would like the track if that issue would be solved. But those are speculations, so let's just keep it on a difference in taste.

As for the wrong notes: it's possible that I'm wrong about that. But there are some notes in there that sound so badly (probably due to the instrument choice) I thought that it had to be a wrong note. Some examples: the 'bass' sound at 00:47. And at 00:55, same instrument playing a damn cursing note. Same at 00:59. Indeed very likely they are the right notes, but the sound is so bad that I wouldn't tell if didn't concentrate on them.

To come back on the reverb, I first thought it wasn't much of a problem compared with the instrument choice, as it isn't as bad as in Booster's 'Doge's Palace' where the harmonics were getting badly mixed up due to the reverb. But now I noticed the reverb being a fairly big cause of irritation, especially further on in the track. I just want to say I don't think the reverb itself is the problem, it's just its constant presence in the track. With some more playing with the reverb throughout the track would allready solve much, I think. I Wouldn't lose it though, just being more modest with it and letting it more 'go with' the track instead of 'go against' it. I can't explain it better in English, I'm afraid. :/

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 21:31

Very nice. Definitly an atmosphere here. Though you seem to have an aweful obsession for reverb, considering your past couple tracks :D. The atmosphere is very nice, though. I like this. But I think the reverb is the source of half the problems.

You're getting there! :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 01:34

Ugo: thx for telling me that there are no wrong notes, I could not be really sure if there aren't any because I had a really poor sheetmusic where some of the parts where not even listed... Yo and I hope I will be able to try to keep my reverbing a little less :D.

Music, the ancient language: Acid feel? where on Violas? or Violins? Or that wonderfully sampled cello you mean? :) uhhh

MusicallyInspired: LOL finally someone revealed my obsession :D haha now seriously Brandon many thx for your comment. Getting there? hmmm maybe ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 07 2003, 06:00

Freude, schöner Gotterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium! :D

I imagine that what Music, the ancient language... is referring to is the rather abrasive string sound which a lot of the parts seem to have. That said, the positive side is that it doesn't sound muddy!

It's good fun to do things like this though, especially as a way of exploring arrangement a little. It seems like you've done a lot of work in putting this one together - the patience is admirable!

I think I'd go along with Ugo's line of thinking and play it with more synthetic analogue sounds, actually (though that relies on having synthetic yet expressive sounds) - some really thick yet cutting sounds would, I think, work great in there.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 07:28

I plan to do an electronic mix...but I wanted to do a "serious" version first :) so that¨s why I got into this :)
anyway thanks for your comment Korgscrew :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 10:31

Sounds good, somethings a bit "busy". But nice anyway!!

The first 30 seconds, the violin reminds me a bit of the midi violins from the early CD-ROM games (you know 7th guest?! ).

I always liked those synthesizer tunes from famous classical music Wendy Carlos made for the movie "A Clockwork Orange" of Stanley Kubrick. She also played Ode to Joy and the last 3 minutes remind me of that. (or was she Walter at that time, than I should call her he... or?)

:)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 17:53

I luv it when the guitar kicks in.
although the end was a bit of a full stop!

tell me r u a SKY fan?? ; )

thanks i liked this..

=Bevy=
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 11 2003, 09:14

bevy: thanks but hmm who is SKY? :)

--------------
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 11 2003, 12:55

http://plum.cream.org/sky/index.htm

very good  uk band from the 80's,
I think most peeps know the name john williams. he played guitar for sky
(but not the film score maker)

http://plum.cream.org/williams/
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 11 2003, 13:51

Never heard of sorry ...

you know I am just a young boy :)

--------------
Profile PM 
15 replies since May 06 2003, 09:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net