Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Not mentioned in 'Changeling'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 26 2009, 01:08

Quote (Silver Negus @ Feb. 25 2009, 00:30)
I think it would have been nice to see a bit more information about how his parents viewed his music.  I think they no doubt would have been very proud all in all.  :)

I think his Mother was completely unaware of Mikes success. I know the book said she died while he was recording his 2nd or 3rd album, but I always heard that she died before TB made it big in the charts. And also the reason that he got into music was because of his Mothers inability to interact with her children over her own illness and the death of her other son. People who suffer from manic depression or mental illness, have very little insight or ability to become involved in the lives or interests of those around them. His whole distancing from his Mother is what kept him locked in his room for years writing music, it is all so very sad. If I recall his relationship with his Father was also strained because of him meeting someone else, I did not know this until I read the book. I must read it again, I have forgotten so much of it already.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2009, 02:53

I know hid Dad liked TMB.I got the impression that his Dad wasn't that into Mike's music.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2009, 03:40

That would be really hurtfull wouldn't it, but as long as he was supportive I suppose.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2009, 07:39

I dunno.My Dad comes to my gigs occasionally but we have very similar tastes.I wouldn't have thought Mike would be all that bothered cos if you look at it the whole point of rock&roll and latterly rock was about pissing off the generation before and rebellion.You'd have to be a really cool Dad to be into the same stuff as your kids back then.
 The book does seem to indicate that hid dad was very supportive financially,buying him guitars and amps etc but Mike does mention that there were rumblings of "you'll have to get a proper job sooner or later"
 Poor Maureen wouldn't really have understood at all though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2009, 11:18

I think his parents would have had an opinion about his music.  I would probably guess, the mother especially, being as maternal as she was, is quite proud of all her children.
Profile PM 
Zappa Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2009, 12:18

I found the book to be a very interesting read and additionally very comforting. I'm a professional musician myself with a long term depressive disorder and found the very childlike nature of some of the writing and the way in which he explains certain aspects of his life, work and illness very easy to relate to.

Its incredible to me that he created such a catalogue of masterpieces despite having a serious illness.  Conversely, it may well be the case that his work was created as a direct result of having the illness.  Would his music have taken a totally different path had he not been a sufferer? Would he even have had the creativity or the need to creatively vent?

I apologise for my slightly long winded rant.  I really find the whole area of mental health and creativity fascinating.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2009, 12:25

Quote (Zappa @ Mar. 01 2009, 12:18)
I found the book to be a very interesting read and additionally very comforting. I'm a professional musician myself with a long term depressive disorder and found the very childlike nature of some of the writing and the way in which he explains certain aspects of his life, work and illness very easy to relate to.

Its incredible to me that he created such a catalogue of masterpieces despite having a serious illness.  Conversely, it may well be the case that his work was created as a direct result of having the illness.  Would his music have taken a totally different path had he not been a sufferer? Would he even have had the creativity or the need to creatively vent?

I apologise for my slightly long winded rant.  I really find the whole area of mental health and creativity fascinating.

Hi zaapa, not at all, I think you seem objective as well as insightful. We raised some similar questions.  Have alook at -'Would you have inherited Mike's musical gifts?' - GENERAL DISCUSSION.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2009, 03:50

To be honest i think mike was very brave in this book, he would have revisited the sadness of family break down, his own struggles with anxiety and depression, and just surviving financially when he started out in folk clubs.  deb
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2009, 18:39

I think Mike writing the book in his own words and talking about what he wanted to talk about, has probably been his most productive self healing exercise to date, besides settling down with Fanny.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2009, 04:32

It is great that mike found fanny, she is his rock, and with jake and eugene, he has found a secure loving family,he can now be a full time dad. and relax a little, deb
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2009, 08:18

Quote (TubularBelle @ Mar. 02 2009, 21:39)
I think Mike writing the book in his own words and talking about what he wanted to talk about, has probably been his most productive self healing exercise to date, besides settling down with Fanny.

And it's been 10 years they're together...finally he had the chance to settle down in relationship with someone who understands him.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2009, 01:46

:p and long may they have happy days, and have happy trails with the wind at their backs, me, i am following the thin blue line, and a couple of prosecuters, there aint no justice but the sweetest kind, deb
Profile PM 
31 replies since Feb. 04 2009, 04:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net