Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: NOT a "favourite albums" thread..., ...a favourite *bits* of albums thread!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Priabonia Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 27 2016, 13:35

Yes, as the title suggests, a thread to tell us what your favourite bits of albums are (where I am defining a bit as no more than 30 seconds or so). I'll  go first to set the exampple (with timings as per the copies of my CDs on iTunes, and some lame description of the music to help)...

(btw, I am sticking to my top three albums, being Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations of course!):

Hergest Ridge (1974 mix!) - a tricky one to pin down individual bits as it is by its nature mostly a seamless tone poem, however, in order of occurrence

Part 1 - 4'09" - the trumpets coming in
Part 1 - 8'44 - the oboe tune over the classical guitar
Part 1 - 9'39" - trumpet ditto
Part 1 - 18'17" - the choir

Part 2 - 5'35" - acoustic guitar and mandolin
Part 2 - 17'15" - the vocals

Ommadawn - again, sustained brilliance, so hard to pull bits out

Part 1 - 0'52" - when the bass synth lends an air of menace to the opening theme
Part 1 - 1'20" - where the key of the main theme changes but the tape loop vocal "ah" stays the same

Part 2 - around 5'00 (possibly my favourite bit of all three albums!) - where the mass overdubbed guitars fade and the acoustic guitar comes in, and leads to the Uilleann  pipe drone
Part 2 - the Uilleann pipes!

Hmm, Incantations will have to wait for later, as I will have to think *very* hard to pull bits out...

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2016, 17:22

Ommadawn Part 1, the guitar solo that begins at approx. 9'18". Pure joy in music form!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2016, 13:50

Tubular Bells:
Part 1 - 10:53 Silent bit with distant bell and organ drone. Much relief in this part after a busy first eleven minutes. I always found the bell sound here very mysterious. A great mood piece.

Hergest Ridge:
Part 2 - From beginning to "thunderstorm". This is perfect pastoral music. Much beauty, much pain, much sorrow but also hope. Like a mournful vision of paradise.

Ommadawn:
Part 2 - 10:09 The flute passage right after the urillean pipes part. The melancholy there is just immense.

Incantations:
Frankly - part one from start to finish. The best part is probably 8:56, the repetetive part with handclap and octave bass. Besides being very hypnotic and suggestive, the beat and the rhythm evoces both four-on-the-floor disco music and Kraftwerk's "Trans Europe Express" while still being a very organic piece of music.

Platinum:
Actually, my favorite is not a part from the title track but from "Into Wonderland". The keyboard solo. It's just to cheerily melodic and full of sunshine. Love this track overall and I don't care much for the original "Sally".

QE2:
Taurus 1. When the drums come in. This part is super heavy and based on a mandolin riff (so unlikely!;). The detail that does it for me is the little "frills" on heavily distorted guitar. This little figure is featured sparsely over several minutes of music, just like the "stabs" in the original TB theme. Part of Mike's genius!

Five Miles Out:
The "Fugue" bit from Orabidoo. It's written by Tim Cross, but it's still the album's highlight. I think it works so well because there is a long, rather uneventful it preceeding it and out of nowhere it slips into this dramatic, super-orchestrated part. It's keeps the drum beat from the previous section, which contributes to the slightly confusing effect (actually, the drummer keeps playing like nothing's happened and that suggests that the drums where not recorded specifically for this piece of music).

Crises:
When the drums first come in on the title track. I play this in a car at high volume and and it's simply majestic, triumphant.

Discovery:
I don't care much for "The Lake", but there are many beautiful passages throughout the songs. I don't like "Crystal Gazing" much, but the coda to that song is the coolest thing on this album IMO. The little synth chords and melody line. Soothing and tranquil.

Islands:
The highlights are few and far between by now, but the two "fast" bits with Björn J:son Lindh on flute are effective and dramatic.

Earth Moving:
The "Innocent" chorus. "Speak to me, like the very first speak". This song has gotten a lot of flake for being too "pop", but it's really well crafted. The verses are icy and cold but the chorus starts on a warm, major chord. It just works so well, and frankly it stands out because this album has some generic songs on it.

Amarok:
It's so difficult to pick a single section here because the whole album is just a lot of tiny, vaguely related sections. I like the album a lot and the "flamenco" part is probably the bit I enjoy the most. Especially the little bass line. I love muted bass guitar. And I love melodies played on bass guitar.

Heaven's Open:
I don't there's much to admire about this album actually. "Music from the Balcony" gets a honorary mention for its weirdness, but "Make Make" is the piece I found most inspired. It's least generic and actually quite energetic". My favorite part of that song is the opening before Mike starts singing. It's actually a powerful album opener. God knows I despise the eurovision-esque title track. Not my bag at all.

Regarding that albums from TBII and on I don't have much to say because I don't like them very much. I could probably comment on "Music of the Spheres", but I haven't listened to that album enough.

BTW - it's fun to write here. Everyone's on facebook these days, and none of my FB friends could give a toss about what my favorite parts of each Mike Oldfield album is!
:laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2016, 16:46

Here's another one... TB part 2, at approximately 7'25" there's a 3-second clip of Sally singing three notes in the background. I love the way this announces the chant that kicks in 20 seconds later, leading into the Bagpipe Guitars section. Too bad the clip is less audible in the 2009 remix than in the original 1973 version.
There are so many of these magical *bits*... Could hardly get to sleep the other night, playing them all back inside my head!  :D
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2016, 02:23

Quote (larstangmark @ Dec. 28 2016, 13:50)
Tubular Bells:
Part 1 - 10:53 Silent bit with distant bell and organ drone. Much relief in this part after a busy first eleven minutes.

Nodding.

Nice idea, Priabonia, I am afraid some of my favourite bits are way longer than 30 seconds.

Tubular Bells:
The post caveman bit before Sailor's Hornpipe. Bass and guitars weaving in and out of each other.

Hergest Ridge:
All of the first 13 minutes of side 1. Particularly the Boxed mix. All of side 2 except for the thunderstorm thing.

Ommadawn:
The finale with the "whole load of African drummers from a group called ja... jabula". To narrow it down to 30 seconds, probably the bit where the voices and drums start out of the recorders.

Incantations:
Part 1: 2:54 - 4:12 kinda hard to explain, it makes the previous bit sound like it's laboring up a hill and here it's crested the summit and really forging ahead. Unusual time signature. This is my favourite bit of Incantations.

Part 3: Starting a couple of minutes in... the bit with about 6 minutes of Marimbas and lead guitar.

Part 4: I love the relief when the punishing "Canon for Two Vibraphones" ends. The rest is my favourite bit.  

Platinum:
The live version on "the Complete..." is my favourite bit of Platinum, especially the North Star bit. I do really like Into Wonderland too. Wendy is great on that.

QE2:
The guitar parts on Conflict and Celt. The heavy guitar and drums after the mandolin intro of Taurus I.

Five Miles Out:
The subtle nuances in the bass and drums on the Deep Deep Sound and leading into the frenzied Taurus I reprise with possibly Mike's heaviest ever crescendo.

The drums and percussion on this album are my favourite in the history of Mike Oldfield by a country interplanetary distance.

Crises:
Foreign Affair, it's just so tranquil, like the calm, rippling water on the album cover. The relentless repetition after the first minute and half kind of makes the tone darker, more serious and to my ears is just fantastic. Maggie really suited Mike's 80's sound.

In High Places, I love the bass, especially the way it doesn't start until well after the drums. I think that's my favourite few seconds... "This starlight night yeah..." I also really like it how the rhythm skips a beat here and there.

Discovery:
Barry Palmer on fire despite a sore throat... "coming in closer... CLOSER!" Discovery guitar solo. In the Pool.

Islands:
There's a TB Pt1 finale style riff near the end of the Wind Chimes. I like that bit.

Amarok:
The two "Lion" bits are my favourite, also 11:13 - 12:45, it doesn't seem to have a proper name. Mike doing something he used to do very well indeed: blending bass and guitars. Same kind of thing at 41:04 with the clockish chimes and lead bass/guitar.

I made an edited version of Amarok with all the bits I don't really like taken out. It only goes for 32 minutes and about 16 of those are the entire finale. Guess that makes me at least 50% cloth-eared nincompoop.

Heaven's open:
I made an edited version of Music from the Balcony. It goes for less than 3 minutes. My favourite bits are the peaceful guitar figure that starts soon after the crunchy intro, and those couple of South American rainforest/jungle sounding bits with the marimba noise.

Earth moving:
The title track. I really like that girl's big voice "and it MOOOOVES MEEEE". The Far Country guitar solo is probably my favourite bit. Can't stand the rest of the song though.

...and on that cheery note, I don't have much nice to say about TBII onwards either.  :laugh:
Profile PM 
TubularRidgeDawn Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2016, 08:19

What a great idea for a post!
Hergest Ridge has to be one of my very favourite albums of Mike's, but there are different aspects of the original 1974 recording and the 'Mike Oldfield' boxed I prefer, not to mention the 2010 remix. Anyhow, here we go for my favourite extracts.
Start of part one 2010 mix the organ and flageolets set the pastoral mood.
Still 2010 mix at 2:40 such a beautiful piece of guitar echoing the flageolet tune.
Original 1974 remix mind blowing crescendo at 4:00 leading to trumpet and snare drum.
Wonderful elec guitar playing main tune on 1974 mix at 4:55.
Boxed mix at 8:43 the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard, acoustic guitar and oboe leading to the ethereal trumpet solo evoking images of  green vales stretching to the far horizon.
Sleigh bell ride 14.57 on either '74 mix or boxed (definately not 2010 mix). Fabulous and rousing distorted guitar piece followed by that heavenly choir.
Onto Part Two 5:44 all mixes (although 2010 may have the edge) bass guitar and organ playing original theme from Part 1. Just so lost in the zone here.
After head banging section 1974 mix 14:33 just blows the top of my head off!
And then we come down to calm and serenity on Boxed mix at 15:36, leading to such sweet bliss at 16:03 with the highlighted vocoder voices and sublimed guitar and orchestration. Especially at 17:14. One of the most emotional pieces of music I have ever listened to. 17:52 the tear ducts always go to work.

--------------
En yab na log a toc na awd
taw may on ommadawn egg kyowl
ommadawn egg kyowl
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2017, 20:07

Quote (qcfoetus @ Dec. 30 2016, 16:46)
Here's another one... TB part 2, at approximately 7'25" there's a 3-second clip of Sally singing three notes in the background. I love the way this announces the chant that kicks in 20 seconds later, leading into the Bagpipe Guitars section. Too bad the clip is less audible in the 2009 remix than in the original 1973 version.
There are so many of these magical *bits*... Could hardly get to sleep the other night, playing them all back inside my head!  :D

You took the words right out of my mouth!  The "Peace" part is my favorite part of Tubular Bells and one of my favourite Oldfield bits ever!  

Other honorable mentions go to the following:-
-the panpipe like Farfisa at the start and end of Hergest Ridge Part 1.  This lush sound is very untypical of 60s combo organs and is more associated with the powerful post 70s polysynths
-the Thunderstorm from Hergest Ridge part 2
-the booming "Vocoder" (aka Solina) solo after the first climax from Ommadawn Part 1.  (Interestingly Tim Cross used a similar arrangement with his Roland VP330 for "Peace" in this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQsFpL4VCM)
-the angelic Prophet 5 choir contrasting with the metal like guitars in Incantations Part 4, just before the final "Ode To Cynthia" part.
-also in Incantations Part 4, the Saucer Full Of Secrets Mellotron-like Polymoog reeds in the into to "Ode To Cynthia".
-the section of Amarok immediately preceding the Africa finales contains the rare sound of slide bass guitar!  I love this to bits!

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2017, 07:44

Quote (First_Excursion @ Dec. 31 2016, 02:23)
Part 4: I love the relief when the punishing "Canon for Two Vibraphones" ends.

Am I the only one to find the "canon for two vibraphones" literally punishing? It's the only part of Incantations I don't like very much.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2017, 07:04

Much as I love Incantations (and I really really love it...) I have to agree...the "Canon" would best have been reduced to 3 or 4 iterations, rather than the (?) 8 or 9 (haven't counted)

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2017, 00:34

Another magical bit: side 2 of RTO, as the final climax begins (19m56s), a heavily reverbed guitar or synth sound appears in the background, supporting the main guitar (or mandolin?) theme being played in the forefront. This adds great depth to the ensemble... and simply gets to me every time!
Profile PM 
9 replies since Dec. 27 2016, 13:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net