Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: North Star, listen to the original< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 18:06

http://www.philipglass.com/sounds/recordings/northstar.mp3
Well, adding guitar, drums, bass etc. really makes it better I think. Philip Glass.com has many compositions to listen to. I find most of them a bit too minimalistic. :zzz:
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 18:33

I agree, it all soudned a bit too mellow, no offence. Mike really makes it sound a bit more groovy.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 19:17

Ooh I would love to get into a discussion about Philip Glass, I know he has been mentioned on here before. Can you tell me what album you got this from? I've been wanting to hear that. I actually like the old fashioned church choir singing style in this but it definitely lacks the pizazz of Mikes version.

Heres the story: I got into Mike when I was 12 and my brother was just 7. I moved out of home at 16 (he was 11) and left my TB record behind because I didn't have my own stereo. I got sidetracked with having debts and babies and it wasn't until 1984, when I was 24 and bro was 19 and we went on a 3 week car trip along the coast of Australia, that I discovered that my brother had grown to love my TB album and had bought every album Mike had done up to 84. I still owned only TB. So on this trip I got stoned for the first time and heard all of these albums for the first time, but thats another story :D. I suppose I could fairly say that my brother was as big or a bigger fan of Mikes than I was at the time and he remained a fan for many years. As he has gotten older though, he has started listening to more quiet music like Enya and ambient stuff, and then just very recently, he discovered Philip Glass. I can't recall the name of the track, I'm sure any Glass fans would know it, but he heard a piano peice on ABC radio and just had to have it and he went out and bought the album, something he had not been inspired to do for many years, on his very low income and with his declining interest in music. He gave me the cd and asked me to copy it onto cassette tape for him so he could play it his car, and I said, 'Sure, Philip Glass, I know him, they talk about him on tubularnet, he wrote North Star you know that is on the Platinum album' (I can't believe I just had to go and look that up, how embarrassing) and he looked at me with great surprise. He could not believe that little old me, common old Mike fan could know who Philip Glass was! I scoffed at him, 'Are you kidding, are you trying to say that Glass is a better musician than Mike?' He said, 'of course he is'. I said, 'he is boring and repetitious'. He said, 'you think Mikes not repetitious?' I said, 'sure, but in an exciting keep you interested kind of way, not in a monotonous way'. I was quite shocked that someone who knew Mikes music as well as he did could say this. I said to him, 'you're just getting old John, you can't handle the excitement anymore'. He said, 'yeh I suppose thats true, I don't like the way it goes from soft to loud so suddenly, it hurts my ears!'. I wondered if that was because they were made of cloth but I didn't dare ask.

I know this is just me being very lazy but do you think you could put Mikes version next to the link for this one so I can play them one after the other.

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2006, 04:58

North Star was done during one of Glass's attempts at a commercial venture anyway.  Alot of his stuff from the same era is much more minimalistic hardcore - try the "Dances" for example.   You can't compare Oldfield and Glass together, although the Tubular Bells opening theme was probably influenced somewhat by Glass.  Glass's current output is far far more easier to listen to, but sometimes (for me at any rate) verges towards easy listening.
Profile PM 
dM Flimp Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2006, 10:37

Why no one talk about Music in 12 Parts or Changing parts ?
I guess its to minimal for everyone.
I think it's his composition he's ever done.

--------------
Kraftwerk

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn.
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal,
Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2006, 12:56

Quote (captainjjb @ Oct. 07 2006, 04:58)
You can't compare Oldfield and Glass together, although the Tubular Bells opening theme was probably influenced somewhat by Glass.

Glass's first album "("Music in Similar Motion/Music In 5ths Chatham Square ") was from the same year as "Tubular Bells", so how could Glass have influenced this theme? Did Oldfield know Glass's work as a composer from prior to Glass's first recording?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2006, 18:32

I just read a joke.

-knock knock
-who's there?
-knock knock
-who's there?
-knock knock
-who's there?
-Philip Glass.

Tracy your story is cool, keep it up :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2006, 18:40

I must speak up for the original "North Star". The whole album is good, but it takes time getting used to. Once you stop waiting for the "other instruments" it starts growing on you. Every track just starts and stops with a few variations in between.

In some ways I think Incantations is influenced by Philip Glass. There's a few passages in Glass' "Einstein on the Beach" (part 2 - "train") that reminds me of the "rippling" synths used in Incantations. Also, Mike's use of an odd time signature is closer to Glass than to other prog-rockers at the time. In "Einstein.." there's a choir singing the numbers of the beats ("One, two, three, four, five-six.." etc..), and that really close to Mike's metronomic use of 11/8 throughout Incantations.

Incantations is much more melodic of course, but anyway there's a similiarity. And the next year (1979) Mike went to New York to record a Glass-cover using Glass own house engineer (Kurt Muncaksi). So I think Philip Glass was an influence at the time...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2006, 21:14

Oh yes I don't doubt that Glass was an influence on Mike. Mike has a penchant for borrowing other peoples music and making it better, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just think Mike is more exciting.

I have 3 Glass cds in front of me I haven't listened to yet, 'Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3', 'Solo Piano' this one is part of a series of cds all with the same cover, can't imagine this is how they were originally released, and the 'Essential Philip Glass', obviously a compilation album, with the same photo of him on the cover and 'Dark Side of the Moon' effect. My brother has just ordered 'Glassworks', another one from the series. He has done several albums it seems and there are some good videos of him on You Tube as well, haven't checked out the 'Philip Glass buys a loaf of bread' vid yet.

Thanks Harmono. :p

P.S.- Still wanting to know the name of the album that features North Star please.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2006, 10:34

The name of the album that includes North Star is... North Star, I believe :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2006, 19:50

Oh OK, thanks, didn't see that in the listings i have on these cds but will look into it further, thankyou.

Played the cds yesterday, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

--------------
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: April 25 2007, 09:35

Thanks for the mp3. I like Mike's version better though.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 19 2007, 02:37

Other than his soundtrack to "La Belle et la BetĂȘ" and the "Anima Mundi" DVD, I don't have much Glass, so I'm not knowledgeable about his work.

Judging from the file provided, Glass' original "North Star" is rather lovely, isn't it? It seems to me, however, that crediting "Platinum Part 4" to Glass is like crediting a gateau to the chicken who laid the eggs.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: July 03 2007, 11:37

I just managed to get a copy of the full song, and I'm going to say I'm not surprised that Mike decided to make Part 4 based on the song. The mixture of voices just make it sound so elegant to my ears.

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 18:16

Oops. Wrong thread!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2008, 01:49

I hadn't noticed this on my previous listen, but... are those some "Pacha Mama"-esque "eeyah, eeyah, eeyah"s I hear?

--------------
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2008, 07:28

I remember when Platinum came out , I think it was Mike who said he wanted to honur Glass as a musician in a paralel field of endeavour.
I would think Mike would be influenced by him but mostly people talk of A Rainbow in Curved by Terry Reilly as the major influence for TB.
If you've never heard A Rainbow in curved air try to get a copy, if you last more than 5 mins you have beaten me, it adds a new dimension to the word repetative !
But as Mike once said there's nothing wrong with repitition as lang as what your repeating is worth being repeated !
Profile PM 
16 replies since Oct. 06 2006, 18:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net