Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: North Point< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 13 2010, 10:37

I suffer from my usual problem here of taking lyrics literally and not bothering too much with grammar...

The line "way beyond the searchlight, comes alive" follows "somewhere far above has a new day risen". So I imagine someone in the dark prison cell thinking a positive thought that if you float high enough (vertically, maybe even to space) "somewhere far above" you get a sunrise and can see somewhere far away where the sun is rising, "has a new day risen". Then the next line talks about that far away place, "way beyond the searchlight" as it "comes alive" with a new day.

OK, just me.....

p.s. I quite like the video but for me, the best imagery for this song is to close my eyes and imagine...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 13 2010, 11:38

Quote (Matt @ April 13 2010, 10:37)
p.s. I quite like the video but for me, the best imagery for this song is to close my eyes and imagine...

...Anita?

;)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 13:06

One of my fav. MO songs. No problem here......I play it often. It's kind of like "To France". But more dark....I like dark music. This song was an arrid dry wasteland of desert depression. I love it. This from a MO admirer of 36 years.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 14 2010, 21:04

Quote (Scatterplot @ April 14 2010, 13:06)
It's kind of like "To France".

No it isn't! - as Elaine from Seinfeld might say, No it isn't.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 15 2010, 04:38

Quote (nightspore @ April 15 2010, 12:04)

I can see what you mean i like dark stuff too
Nightspore  No soup for you :)
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: April 15 2010, 06:35

Quote (nightspore @ April 12 2010, 16:12)
I don't think they're too bad, actually, but Ugo and I debated the point some time ago and agreed to disagree, so there's probably not much more to be said!

As with anything regarding music, it's a very subjective thing. I do find, however, that the lyrics match extremely well the melancholic nature of the music itself. Just saying this because not until very recently was I able to understand any lyrics in English, and now that I can I'm discovering a new side to all these songs I've listened for the past 18 years.

Love it :)

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 15 2010, 07:14

Quote (milamber @ April 15 2010, 04:38)
Quote (nightspore @ April 15 2010, 12:04)

I can see what you mean i like dark stuff too
Nightspore  No soup for you :)

I can see you're Master of your domain, Milamber!  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 15 2010, 07:16

Quote (^NabLa^ @ April 15 2010, 06:35)
As with anything regarding music, it's a very subjective thing. I do find, however, that the lyrics match extremely well the melancholic nature of the music itself. Just saying this because not until very recently was I able to understand any lyrics in English, and now that I can I'm discovering a new side to all these songs I've listened for the past 18 years.

Love it :)

It's that use of the word "beyond" that puzzles Ugo, I think. It can be used the way Mike does, but maybe it sounds nonsensical if English isn't your first language. Ugo - I hope that doesn't sound patronizing. You after all could run rings around me with Italian!  :(
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 15 2010, 07:35

Quote (nightspore @ April 15 2010, 22:16)
You after all could run rings around me with Italian!  :(

That includes Ministrone Nightspore  :)  :p  :laugh:
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: April 15 2010, 07:56

Quote (nightspore @ April 15 2010, 12:16)
It's that use of the word "beyond" that puzzles Ugo, I think. It can be used the way Mike does, but maybe it sounds nonsensical if English isn't your first language. Ugo - I hope that doesn't sound patronizing. You after all could run rings around me with Italian!  :(

Hmmm not nonsensical to me, I interpret the song as a first person account of a prisoner in a fucked up underground dungeon, somewhere depressing like the isle of Lewis, or Slough.

The searchlight being well, the light some dude with a gun on top of a tower aims about around the prison perimeter, the light everyone that tries a prison break in films have to dodge somehow by learning the exact-to-the-second-robot-like search pattern (even though it's driven by some geezer that's been there bored to tears for the past 7 hours doing exactly the same thing) and by using conveniently placed rubbish containers, mountains of wheel rubbers etc. Metaphor of the prison boundaries and as such, the prison itself.

Somewhere far above has a new day risen?
Way beyond the searchlight,
Comes alive, comes alive.

So the chick is all depressed because she's in mordor or something and it sucks and sunrise's going on outside her prison.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 15 2010, 13:35

I did not mean it sounded like "To France". But it had the same intensity. In a darker way. And pristinely recorded as with "To France". However I love the tune.......It's more about pain. Although "To France" seemed like it was about loss too. Prison? Not getting to go to France? Personally I'd take not getting to go to France over the other. Prison is not fun, so.......well you get the jist. Bad things happen in prison. I don't need to list them. Better off dead. But the "Cold" feeling of the song comes through very well....

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 15 2010, 21:17

Quote (Scatterplot @ April 15 2010, 13:35)
Although "To France" seemed like it was about loss too.

Yes, she loses her head!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 16 2010, 11:05

Loses her head how? I detected no 1001 nights references in there.....Is there? Maybe I missed something.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 16 2010, 23:03

Quote (Scatterplot @ April 16 2010, 11:05)
Loses her head how? I detected no 1001 nights references in there.....Is there? Maybe I missed something.

Mary Queen of Scots, mon - och, ah've lost mah heed!  :D
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 17 2010, 02:29

I get it now........

At Fotheringhay Castle, Northamptonshire, on 7 February 1587, Mary was told that she was to be executed the next day. She spent the last hours of her life in prayer and also writing letters and her will. She asked that her servants be released and that she be buried in France. The scaffold that was erected in the great hall was three feet tall and draped in black. It was reached by five steps and the only things on it were a disrobing stool, the block, a cushion for her to kneel on, and a bloody butcher's axe that had been previously used on animals. At her execution, on the 8th of February 1587, the executioners (one of whom was named Bull) knelt before her and asked forgiveness. According to a contemporaneous account by Robert Wynkfield, she replied "I forgive you with all my heart"[33] The executioners and her two servants helped remove a black outer gown, two petticoats, and her corset to reveal a deep red chemise—the liturgical colour of martyrdom in the Catholic Church. As she disrobed she smiled faintly to the executioner and said, "Never have I had such assistants to disrobe me, and never have I put off my clothes before such a company."[33] She was then blindfolded and knelt down on the cushion in front of the block. She positioned her head on the block and stretched her arms out behind her.

In Lady Antonia Fraser's biography, Mary Queen of Scots, the author writes that it took two strikes to decapitate Mary: The first blow missed her neck and struck the back of her head, at which point the Queen's lips moved. (Her servants reported they thought she had whispered the words "Sweet Jesus.") The second blow severed the neck, except for a small bit of sinew that the executioner severed by using the axe as a saw. Robert Wynkfield recorded a detailed account of the moments leading up to Mary's execution, also describing that it took two strikes to behead the Queen. Afterward, the executioner held her head aloft and declared, "God save the Queen." At that moment, the auburn tresses in his hand came apart and the head fell to the ground, revealing that Mary had had very short, grey hair.[33] The chemise that Mary wore at her execution is displayed at Coughton Court near Alcester in Warwickshire, which was a Catholic household at that time.
Beheadingofmaryqueenofscots recreation.ogg
Play video
A 1895 reproduction of the execution, produced by Edison Manufacturing Co.

It has been suggested that it took three strikes to decapitate Mary instead of two. If so, then Mary would have been executed with the same number of axe strikes as Essex. It has been postulated that said number was part of a ritual devised to protract the suffering of the victim.[34]

There are several (possibly apocryphal) stories told about the execution. One already mentioned and thought to be true is that, when the executioner picked up the severed head to show it to those present, it was discovered that Mary was wearing a wig. The headsman was left holding the wig, while the late queen's head rolled on the floor.[33] It was thought that she had tried to disguise the greying of her hair by wearing an auburn wig, the natural colour of her hair before her years of imprisonment began. She was 24 when first imprisoned by Protestants in Scotland, and she was only 44 years of age at the time of her execution. Another well-known execution story related in Robert Wynkfield's first-hand account concerns a small dog owned by the queen, which is said to have been hiding among her skirts, unseen by the spectators. Her dress and layers of clothing were so immensely regal, it would have been easy for the tiny pet to have hidden there as she slowly made her way to the scaffold. Following the beheading, the dog refused to be parted from its owner and was covered in blood. It was finally taken away by her ladies-in-waiting and washed.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
34 replies since Mar. 06 2008, 03:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net