Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nice album but....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 19:57

I never saw any connection between Punkadiddle and punk at all; I always just thought of it as a fun short instrumental with a rocky beat and a strange name. I'll have to listen to the album again, I haven't got around to putting it on for quite a while now. Perhaps I could post one of those track-by-track reviews like we did on Guitars. I quite enjoyed that, and it's a good opportunity to listen again to albums that I often overlook.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 20:30

I have always interpreted the name Punkadiddle as describing the heavy guitars (Punk) and the twee melody (Diddle).

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 03:11

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 31 2005, 03:40)
Quote (familyjules @ Mar. 31 2005, 16:23)
I think the real crime on Platinum is I Got Rhythm.  Horrible!

I love I Got Rhythm!!

I listened to Platinum last night and I'd like to take back everything negative that I wrote.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!  In truth I hadn't listened to I Got Rhythm since I was a teenager.  It didn't speak to me then, last night I thought it was beautiful.  I should listen before I shoot my mouth off!

Platinum itself sounded great and the climax of North Star sounded wonderful.  I even got into Woodhenge at last.  The whole album shot up in my estimation last night I tell ya.

It's no Incantations, but it's not the lightweight I'd always thought it to be either.  Consider my opinion drastically revised!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 03:53

Quote (familyjules @ April 01 2005, 16:11)
I listened to Platinum last night and I'd like to take back everything negative that I wrote.

That sort of thing has happened to me quite frequently with Mike's albums: I leave it for while and then when I go back my opinion has drastically changed. That happened most spectacularly with TSODE, which went from being 'boring' to one of my favourites with one listen. Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, QE2 and most recently Voyager have also grew on me over a short space of time. I wonder why Mike's music keeps on doing that to me?

Now, of course, you'll be really embarrassed whenever you find one of your old posts on the album and go "what was I thinking?".   :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 04:01

Quote (raven4x4x @ April 01 2005, 03:53)
Now, of course, you'll be really embarrassed whenever you find one of your old posts on the album and go "what was I thinking?".   :)

Exactly!  There's a post from me in the archives somewhere in which I declare Incantations to be 'static' and 'dull' or similar.  Gaaaah!!

:/

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 01 2005, 06:38

And there's another aspect to this, too. I never liked Punkadiddle - always found it irritating. But recently I heard a recording of the live version from Preston 1980, closing the show, in which it's transformed into one of the most astounding pieces of music I've ever heard.

But I was there at Preston in 1980 and have no memory of anything special about the ending of the show at all.

Egg on my face, or what?
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 02 2005, 04:38

I'd be interested in hearing that. The only live version I've heard was a B side (to Arrival I think). Personally, I prefer the live version that I have heard.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
26 replies since Mar. 30 2005, 11:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net