Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nice album but....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 11:23

What was Mike thinking of with Woodhenge and Sally?  :O

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 12:23

Woodhenge: probably inspired by Ambient music and Brian Eno - compare with the tracks in Another Green World.

Sally: Are you talking about "Into Wonderland" or the original "Sally"?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 13:00

I don't think mike would have been influenced by eno, more likely the other way around, mike was structuring and layering long before eno.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 13:45

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Mar. 30 2005, 13:00)
I don't think mike would have been influenced by eno, more likely the other way around

I highly doubt that. Eno was being influenced by musicians that were working long before Mike, e.g. Erik Satie. He had always been experimenting with sound, played a major role in the two first Roxy Music LP's, and practically invented Ambient music when he was in hospital after an accident. His LPs 'Another Green World' and 'Discreet Music' were released in 1975 (if I remember correctly). 'Woodhenge' is from 1979.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 14:24

i must confess that i like woodhenge.. this intro is special.. it gives the album a mood..

Maybe it sounds noisy but the rest of the album is a kind of noises so that why i think its a good start at the album.
Woodhenge is a contrast to the big kaos of songs and tunes that becomes out in the album. (Just like before the storms gives in, its quiet..)
;)  well thats just me...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 15:33

...I'm not a fan of it,although you've got tracks like Woodhenge,Platinum Part 4(Phillip Glass's North Star covered),and Punkadiddle.Another CD that's always on my shelf,not with me all the time.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 15:45

layered and stuctured as in tb1, at this time eno was synth man and novelty cross-dresser with roxy music.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 15:48

ps by the way roxy's first two albums were all Ferry, word's, music and arrangement.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 16:29

Nothing at all wrong with Woodhenge if you regard it as a kind of tone poem (I may be misusing a technical term there). When I first heard it back in 79/80, it was the nearest I'd ever come to experiencing a musical equivalent to the feeling I often encountered at prehistoric monuments.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 18:53

I don't really know what I feel about Woodhenge, I haven't listened to it for a while. I certainly don't dislike it.

I do, however, dislike both Into Wonderland and the original Sally. Into Wonderland sounds to me like it belongs in the 1930's or 40's, and Sally is just too silly for me.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 03:23

I prefer the original Sally to Into Wonderland, but maybe that's because I had the original vinyl and heard the song first.  The words are silly I guess, but the tune is strong and the vocal effects work for me.  I especially like the way it refers back to Platinum (side one) before moving into Punkadiddle, it gave the album a unity which Into Wonderland isn't as successful in doing.

Woodhenge - it's weird but it never lodges in my brain, it just drifts by and then I forget how it goes.

Platinum was the first Mike Oldfield album to underwhelm me - I thought he was bunging out product to recoup the cost of his world tour.  It was the last album I bought the first time I was a fan.  I lost track after that (apart from hearing Moonlight Shadow on the radio and TV).

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 03:40

Quote (familyjules @ Mar. 31 2005, 16:23)
I think the real crime on Platinum is I Got Rhythm.  Horrible!

I love I Got Rhythm!! Wendy Roberts does a nice, job, and that buildup with the guitar and the bells really finishes off the album in a great fashion for me. It's my favourite track off the album, in fact.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 05:09

i got Rhythm is very good yes  :)
first time i heard i got rhythm i thought; well this was great!!
it makes me happy and glad...

and its funny too..... beacuse i though for a long time that she sung omen problem i dont mind it....

but she sings old man ect.... not omen ha ha

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 05:50

Quote (familyjules @ Mar. 31 2005, 08:23)
Platinum was the first Mike Oldfield album to underwhelm me

Yes, I felt much the same. At the time, I tried soooo hard to like it. I'd seen him on the Platinum tour, I wanted to believe that Platinum itself was a new and exciting direction.... but  only the (North Star) ending ever really moved me. Woodhenge was an interesting atmospheric experiment, but I never grew to love the album as a whole. But then, I never never grew very fond of all those other 'long piece on one side and pop songs on the other' albums, either.

Funnily enough though, I do find Platinum (the long piece, not the whole CD) very easy and approachable these days, and play it quite often. It just doesn't elevate me in any way.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 11:43

Re: Brian Eno (sorry to return to this topic like this) - of course he was a synth man, he has always been one. And if you ask me, Brian Eno never tried to do anything even remotely similar to Tubular Bells, so there's no reason to compare his work with Mike's. Also, of course Ferry always wanted to dominate Roxy Music, but Brian Eno's work in the first two LP's were also a major one, making all those sound treatments and all. His work with them is always remembered, and would be an important element in his growth as a solo artist.

About Platinum, well, if I were back in the 70's following Mike's carreer closely, Platinum would be a sure blast. But at this very moment, I'm absolutely sure Platinum would be very close to my heart. No other Mike album was so insanely FUN, at least not in that loose, lightweight and good-humoured way. The three initial parts of Platinum are real gold, and North Star is one of the most impressive combinations of hard, pumping rhythm and soul-crushing emotional impact. Side two is inferior, but great nonetheless. I enjoyed the album more when I replaced "Into Wonderland" with the original "Sally".

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 12:10

you mentioned eno first saying mike had been influenced by the benylin overdose that is another green world, like I said before highly unlikely, ferry did 'nt try to dominate roxy, he was then and is now their main artery of input, and finally eno may be apparent on the first album but not on the second.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 12:29

Well, I did mention Mike probably being influenced by the Ambient movement. Eno may or may not have had something to do with it, I dunno, but I mentioned "Another Green World" because of the similarity, not saying that Mike was influenced by it. Thinking again, I think 'Woodhenge' has something more to do with the tracks from 'Before And After Science', with the gradual inclusion of instruments and the looping patterns. Maybe Mike never heard 'Through Hollow Lands' in his life, but if he didn't, then he did listen to something similar.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 16:29

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 30 2005, 12:23)
Woodhenge: probably inspired by Ambient music and Brian Eno - compare with the tracks in Another Green World.

Sally: Are you talking about "Into Wonderland" or the original "Sally"?

Sir M, I have an original vinyl copy of 'Platinum' bought on the day of release so it is the original 'Sally'. Believe it or not, I don't think I have ever heard 'Into Wonderland' as I have yet to get hold of a CD copy.

Am I missing much?

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 16:35

I'm afraid that when it comes to Woodhenge, I no longer bother listening and simply skip the track, moving the stylus carefully along to the start of Sally (for a laugh :/) but more often on to Punkadiddle.

Come to think of it, Side 2 of Platinum more often gets skipped in it's entirity. I don't even find Punkadiddle as endearing as many obviously do. The title sums up the music and I wished he'd stuck to more Punk and less Diddle. Punk and Diddle when done seperately can be great but done together as in this experiment, I find it quite embarrassing and cringeworthy to listen to. It's like Morris Dancers headbanging.   :/

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2005, 16:45

A ha, I gotcha. I just asked that because both "Sally" and "Into Wonderland" are quite silly, but in different ways - the latter in a sort of Disney movie sountrack or something. I don't really think you're missing much, since the tune isn't even too catchy. The sense of humour isn't too different from "Sally", and there's no even any segué into "Punkadiddle".

To be honest, I never thought "Punkadiddle" was a particularly hilarious as a sneering mockery of Punk, but the melody is entertaining. Somehow, the cheering crowd sounds, the guitar, the shouts and everything kind of meld together into something... neat.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
26 replies since Mar. 30 2005, 11:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net