Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New tube world picture..., Hang on... I don't remember a wind farm!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gregrobson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2003, 16:55

Just looking at the site to see if anything was new, and it appears some of the pictures of the 'tube world' have changed.

http://www.mikeoldfield.com/tube-world-pics.htm
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 17:18

It has to be said that these graphics, from what we can see of them, don't look that much better than the orignal MVR stuff, perhaps a bit more detail in the rendering. Considering what people are used to these day's these day's with X Boxes and PS2's these pictures really do look like they were done a few years ago and not today. I hope it play's well to make up for it.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 22:23

I just hope his helicopter turns out better than these graphics.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 24 2003, 00:33

I think the problem is that what we're seeing with Music VR is a product that's still very much in its early stages.

Games certainly are being developed which have higher quality graphics than are to be seen in Music VR, but it also has to be remembered that they'll have cost a lot more to develop and are being put together by a large team of software writers and graphic designers.
The decision which Mike made was not to follow in their footsteps. As a result, the product is less commercial, but perhaps closer to what Mike wants (in that you don't have to kill all the dolphins just because that's what the big companies think would make it sell to the usual teenage games market, and that sort of thing). Its development, with there being just one software writer, is going to be slower than with when there are five or more of them - even just a look at the editing software gives an idea of the huge number of parameters which have to be dealt with in order to make the Music VR world act as it does, and that's just what the front end shows...creating it in this way means, however, that Mike can do it more as a hobby than as a business, not having to coordinate a huge team. Of course, deciding not to undertake things in a commercial manner means that the uptake is unlikely to be like that of a commercial product (as has been reflected by the fact that, to my knowledge at least, Music VR hasn't been at the top of any games charts anywhere...). That is, however, the decision which Mike made.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 04 2003, 16:20

I'd quite like Mike to release a bit more info about the Tube World. I'm about to buy a new graphics card and I'd like to know what to get to make it work properly. I'm upgrading from a 32MB to probably a 64MB so hopefully this should handle it.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: May 04 2003, 18:14

The graphics look pre-90's & pathetic, not much better than sega's 'Sonic the hedgehog', remember him!

I for one will be spending my money on the PS2 game:-

Tomb Raider 6 - Angel of darkness.

If it ever decides to come out, been delayed since Christmas!

Lara Croft, made with thousands of pixels, now thats what I call as good use of graphics  ;)

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 04 2003, 18:59

Yup there's a lot of truth in that ;)  But there's also a lot of truth in what Korgscrew says above in MVR's defence. The problem is that people outside the small circle MVR followers won't really concern themselves with the apreciation of Mike's efforts unless it really catches their eye in some way. The only reason this bothers me really is that I was and still am highly impressed with how MVR works, ok the graphics are pretty crap but there's a lot of scope to do something really creative with it and I think there's real potential for it to be discovered by people outside the fan base, but it would need to be improved, we'll see what the Tube World is like. It's another one of those situations in Mike's career where he would do so much better collaborating with other people creatively. It was quite noticable on MVR that Mike, conceptualy speaking, was stretching himself to far.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 06 2003, 11:43

Another thing to remember when comparing any graphics on a PC with those on a games console is that the television you're likely to be viewing the output of the console on isn't nearly as sharp as a computer monitor. This blurs out a lot of the jagged edges - a kind of low-tech anti-aliasing effect.

Sonic the Hedgehog had the advantage of being 2 dimensional - some highly realistic effects can be done in 2D using mostly pre-rendered (or photographic) elements which take much less processing power than anything in 3D.

With all that said, Mike himself would like it to look more realistic, so it'll get there sometime...

Hang on...is that a wind farm or a set of giant fans for...uhm...something to hit? ;)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 06 2003, 12:46

Nice one  :D  We'll soon see.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 01:45

I agree that the graphics are pretty naff compared to waht you get on PS2 etc.. However, what I think is unique about MVR is the manoueverability. You are not slotted into a very limited realm with fantastic graphics. You are free to roam in a not-so-graphically-beautiful world.

This freedom to roam in millions of permutations is what gives MVR the re-play power. I have bought games with better graphics since getting MVR, played them until I exhausted all thee was then left them behind. But, with MVR, I keep coming back to it again and again for the relaxing experience.

I guess it's this freedom to roam that makes the graphics harder to render and the memory taken up for enhanced graphics would be quite a lot.

For me, however, I can see the artistic beauty of MVR. I love going through different sequences and viewing things from different angles. My brother came over, had a fly on MVR and fell in love with it too. He got a copy immediately (we're both in the near 40s age bracket so maybe that is the difference - we've tolerated much worsegraphics before!!!;).

Just some thoughts,

Tim :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 10:47

Hang on... I just know Mike was at AERO, I just didn't see him! How else could he have made those in the game? ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
10 replies since April 22 2003, 16:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net