Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Releases, Hergest Ridge & Omadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 09:08

Well, Caveman, we can dream! Maybe a 3 cd set - original / present / remix? Plus, dare I say, the legendry 'Spanish Tune' mix..... which, some say (no, not the Stig) does actually exist!
Have a good lunch! I'm already back at work (in between posting on TNet!!;)

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 09:49

I totally agree with Tom and Caveman on this topic. My ideal "Deluxe Hergest Ridge" would include:

CD1 - The "Original Mix"
CD2 - The "Boxed" remix
CD3 - The "Orchestral" Hergest Ridge
CD4 - "Hergest Ridge 2009"

All packaged in a standard-sized 4-CD jewel case box set with a deluxe booklet. The front cover would simply be the original LP cover of HR without any words or hype.

Where do I sign up?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 10:14

Forgot OHR.Yeah we'll have that as well. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 12:07

All I need is my Porky cut HR, which is backed up on many data DVD's. As long as I have that, I'm ecstatic with HR is it was meant to be. It's already been destroyed once on "boxed". Please don't destroy it again!
James

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 12:59

Absolutely Jim but the point is that the new rerelease is supposed to include the original mix.As i said i never bother with the Boxed version or any subsequent editions (which are all the Boxed version anyway)cos as you say it frankly buggered it up and i prefer my vinyl versions (one USA and one English-the English one sounds better quality and cost the princely sum of £3)with all their scratchiness.The original came out during the oil crisis so the quality of vinyl was varied BUT the new one should mean we can have a good clean quality copy without having to go to such legnths to obtain it.
 Provided Mike resists the temptation to mess with it then job done.My one concern is that,as much as i love what the man does,he has a tendency or even a compulsion to play around with stuff (see Mike Oldfields Single 2009)and 'update' it as if he never heard the term "if it ain't broke don't f**k with it" with the results not really being what we want.
 As Ugo said this is his right of course but for once i hope he listens. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 13:33

The problem with HR is the original multitrack tape(s) age. As the timeline goes on.....these tapes become more unusable. Edges curl up, reel tapes or some tracks therof are unretrievable, especially the tracks on the edges. With software, a good LP(and I hit the jackpot) can be made into a CD. That UK LP could still be improved on. The original tapes, I bet not. I don't care about 5 CD box sets with 5 versions of the same GD thing. Software is the answer. We got it, it works. Buy it, it's fun! This is the way HR should be re-released: one CD carefully remastered from an English Porky cut, meticulously filtered thru software, even manually by hand cutting any noise spikes. Aphex it. Run it thru a compander. The kids won't know. Just find the best source LP or tape and do the magic. Then give/sell me the CD with no audio flaws. That Bartosic fellow failed at it, I failed but fared better IMO. If the Pro's do ONLY that......I'm happy. Screw the hype, the signature, the box, the booklet. It's the music.........that matters.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 18:23

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 27 2009, 19:33)
Aphex it.

Does that mean getting Richard D. James to do the remaster? :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 18:35

I don't mean to disagree with Scatterplot but to me, the entire "Hergest Ridge" chapter in both Mike's and my own life is a bit more than just the music. The haunting LP cover, both front and back, kept me staring and analyzing it for hours upon hours when it was released, and I still find myself studying it to this day.

I could absolutely kick myself for tossing the beautifully printed CD Longbox the first release on CD came in, (here in the U.S.)!!!

I also feel certain that back-ups of the master tape were probably created at the time of HR's release, as most record companies tend to do. If so, a little bit of remastering, (not remixing!;) would greatly enhance the dynamic range and clarity, as LP dynamic range had to be compressed to around 55db in order to be properly pressed at the time. It would be grand to hear the choir at the end of part one without the vinyl congestion!

I suppose we'll all see what unfolds, and thank goodness we can share our reactions and feelings about such an important matter with others here who feel so strongly...
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 06:36

I feel so at home in this particular Tubular Net kneck of the woods! My HR buddies!! I love you guys! I could sit and discuss HR for hours. For me, it's the best MO composition and the merits of each version could fuel pages of debate! Especially if we were all sat round with a pint or two!  :D

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 09:15

In the words of another MO track "I like beer and i like cheese". :laugh:

It's not my favourite MO album but it's up there in the top 5.

--------------
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 10:20

Quote (Fine_old_Tom @ Sep. 01 2009, 06:36)
I feel so at home in this particular Tubular Net kneck of the woods! My HR buddies!! I love you guys! I could sit and discuss HR for hours. For me, it's the best MO composition and the merits of each version could fuel pages of debate! Especially if we were all sat round with a pint or two!  :D

Hi Fine Old Tom - I couldn't agree with you more about discussing HR! I've listened to it so many hundreds of times, constantly analyzing it, analyzing the instruments, the melody (which is absolutely amazing IMHO) and analyzing why it means so much to me, or perhaps why it continues to deeply touch my soul. To me, Hergest Ridge is Mike Oldfield, plain and simple, and if it weren't for this incredible album I would probably have stopped following MO years ago...

When are we all getting together?
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 11:59

I would give anything to attend a keg party with the premise of HR. Fans of that album gather in a park, we have a big PA system and play HR original mix! Better not make it in Austin tho, we would get drowned out by rap and tejano very fast. Then a rumble would break out. Of course us HRidgers would prevail, but we don't want that. Let's do it in Myrtle Beach South Carolina this October. At least Mike can boat a little bit north of Florida and be there. We'll even make fajitas(thats beef skirt steak grilled, cut up, and served in flour tortillas with salsa, cheese, veggies, sour cream, and condiments of choice). Think he'd show up? For Fajitas, I bet he would!
Jimbro
PS: HRfanUSA.....dissagree? Uh uh. I'm haunted by it as well, for many reasons all posted on this site. I came to tube-net because of it, not TB or Discovery. We are on the same frequency, 102.344 MHz(designated by the FCC for HR). The English LP copy was what made me happy. USA copies all sucked.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 12:24

Could we do a veggie option please?And the beer would have to be ale (yes the 'warm' stuff).
 Have to agree about the UK version being better quality than the USA.As i've said i have 2 copies and the UK is way better! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 12:33

Sure! There's chicken fajitas. Or....just put veggies, rice, beans in the tortilla. The brew? Yeah, we can heat it up on the grill. Give it that charco-broiled taste. Or just bring warm bottles.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 12:54

Do well.Or Guinness.Problem with that stuff is that i kije it but it hates me in the morning! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 13:26

Odd, since Guiness has a low alcohol content, around 4.0% alcohol. Bring nitro-cans. I admit I kinda like Guiness, a little too bitter and does not give me a buzz(low alc.) But I like the chocolaty roasted malt taste. Guiness Stout.......better! Flavor+ and just a lttle more alkeehol, say 4.5%, "budwieser normal" content. You want a real hangover? Spaten Optimator. This is a double or "doppel" bock dark beer from Germany. 7 or 8% alkeehol. Either way, we will all book several rooms at the same place in Myrtle Beach. Mike will be the "neediest or whiniest" re: hangovers(he's always been that way, ask Branson), so I'll bring aspirin, Tylenol and Gatorade. Fanny can nurse his head. Then we will all have "huevos rancheros" for breakfast. Eggs(scrambled) with lots of HOT salsa added(kills hangovers-hot stuff as in spice kills hangovers). Not to worry.......

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2009, 10:23

OK - I'm packed and ready to go the the first annual HRigers BBQ and Beer Convention!! Being here in Belgium I've gotten use to the local beer here. No not that Stella rubbish! BUT put me down for Guinness. The sound system must be epic, who has the best original version...?

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2009, 11:13

As far as I know, I do.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2009, 17:34

Guys, I'm with you on this! I don't know about Belgium but Myrtle Beach would work, lol. Fajitas sound good too! I also want the "epic" sound system. I'll even print up some HR T-shirts and buttons for all attending. We'll just have us a Hergest Ridge Woodstock!!!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 04:43

I meant Guiness stout.The real brewed in Ireland stuff.I think i got a taste for it cos one of my Irish Grandad.So thick it's more a meal in itself!And orginally an accident.History lesson:Way back when only monks brewed and everyone drank beer (even the kids had weak 'small' beer)cos it was safer than drinking water.One day the monks burnt the barley but rather than waste valuable barley they carried on with the process and when it was done they found that what they had brewed was actually good.Hey presto stout!
  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
154 replies since Aug. 07 2009, 05:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net