Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Releases, Hergest Ridge & Omadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 07:47

Quote (The Caveman @ Sep. 03 2009, 10:43)
One day the monks burnt the barley but rather than waste valuable barley they carried on with the process and when it was done they found that what they had brewed was actually good.

Hey The Caveman, what do you really mean?? I mean I didn't really undestand it at all. Was it they worked on the barley more than usual, or they used another product??? Thnx. :)

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 08:05

I guess he means that Irish Stout was born by using burnt barley in the beer-brewing process, rather than the fresh one as used for 'normal' beer. :)

P.S.: I don't drink wine, I don't drink beer, I don't drink whiskey... I can't drink any alcohol at all (even a drop) because it hurts my head.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 08:22

Right, now I undestand.

Ugo!!!! Long time no see, my friend, how you're doin' around???? Io sono molto felize di verte, amico mio!!!!!!! Il tuo spagnolo amico sta felice di verte!!!

I haven't been writing for I while, I'm (hopefully) accessing to a more stable time in my life so hope to be a regular again around here...

By the way, i don't drink alcohol as well, no beer, no spirits... only GUINNESS every now and again!!!! I used to drink it in Málaga where I lived before, with my English friends, but now here in Madrid I don't anymore  :/

Anyway, it's nice to speak to you again, and well, I'll go back to the 'Discovery' subject, as this topic is getting as alcoholic as Viv Stanshalls' words in 'The Sailor's Hornpipe'!!!!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 09:24

Lol.You're right.And yes Ugo that's what i meant about the burnt barley. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 12:05

Now you got me listening to the file I made 2 years ago. HR-no remix Porky Cut. Screw remixes, this one is it. I put it away(how many times can you do HR in one month) for a while. Jeez my Acoustica software worked good. I am hearing the oboe in pt. 1 with such clarity! Bartosick: You screwed up! This here........this is the goods! Oh jeez Eddy is gettin' excited by it, we need to play! Bye.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 12:18

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 27 2009, 18:23)
Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 27 2009, 19:33)
Aphex it.

Does that mean getting Richard D. James to do the remaster? :laugh:

Damn you! Now I can't stop imagining what an Aphex Twin version of Hergest Ridge would sound like. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 12:28

Well Eddy was excited until the choir portion, still overdriven, but that Mike's fault.....no not really.....1974 tech problems. Oh God Here comes Pt. 2 intro.....so pristine. So perfect. Now the "lost guitar part" when "boxed" buried it. So perfect. Who decided to F up this Christ-like recording anyway? I'm not religous in any way.....but this recording is pure religion. Remember the story of my mother's death? HR was there that night. Now I'm in the thunder jam. Gotta go. Need to focus.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 13:32

To clarify: the "Aphex" technology was introduced in the '80's to take musical information, analyze it, and generate high frequency "harmonics" to make the music sonically crisp. As the Rap generation infested music(yeah, look at where I live), some kind of Aphex product was introduced to anayze music and generate -bass- harmonics. Hence, I hear cars passing by with the intent of tearing themselves apart. From this time forward when I refer to "Aphex", I mean a device to synthesize high freek harmonics to a mix. Not a reference to any band. A product that worked well. In my happy time, before bass took over in the rap world.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 14:19

@ Sir M.: He'd probably fill it up with breakbeats & snare rushes, but I also guess he'd play lots of piano in it...  drukqs showed that he's a perfectly good piano player. :)

@ Jim: I know what Aphex is, I was just joking. I guess I'm bad at making jokes. :D By the way, your HR mix was excellent the first time I heard it, and it's still excellent now. Why don't you filter it just a little bit through your software (just as you did with the Moody Blues Future Past album) to remove those very occasional crackles and pops? If you did this, IMHO it would really be a disaster... ahem, a masterpiece. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 20:17

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 03 2009, 08:05)
P.S.: I don't drink wine, I don't drink beer, I don't drink whiskey... I can't drink any alcohol at all (even a drop) because it hurts my head.

Ugo, I've noticed this before... but your tastes in things are uncannily similar to mine. I don't touch alcohol either!  :)
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 05:29

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 03 2009, 14:22)
Anyway, it's nice to speak to you again, and well, I'll go back to the 'Discovery' subject, as this topic is getting as alcoholic as Viv Stanshalls' words in 'The Sailor's Hornpipe'!!!!!!

Mmm?? The 'Discovery subject??? I was kindo lost. I thought this was the 'Discovery - the Deluxe Edition' topic. I must be in low form  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 15:18

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 03 2009, 12:28)
Well Eddy was excited until the choir portion, still overdriven, but that Mike's fault.....no not really.....1974 tech problems.

Which reminds me; that last unison choir note (which is particularly distorted) is one of the highlights of the album. Was it really a low quality multi-track tape that caused the distortions?
The use of choir reminds me of Floyd's Atom Heart Mother BTW.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 02:59

Probably not. Something like that "grab your ass wall of sound" was not easy to do in '74. I can see them thar needles in the red.......

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 15:41

@ Lars: when I listen to the CD I burned from Jim's mix on my usual hi-fi speakers, the last choir note doesn't sound distorted at all - in fact it sounds very powerful. I guess it only sounds distorted on PC speakers, which certainly don't have all of the bass-frequencies responses of (older) hi-fi speakers.

@ Jim: the "wall of sound" was there well before 1974 - Phil Spector obtained wonderful results (IMHO) with that technique. Maybe it doesn't sound as good on HR because of the fact that the recording, as far as I remember, was rather rushed.

--------------
Profile PM 
Opus 1 Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 15:34

Hmm from what I heard these new releases were due for September release...we're now on the tenth and there has been no news...can anybody shed some light on this? Is it still happening? Has it been cancelled, or delayed due to the whole fiasco with the UE Tb?

Cheers

--------------
The mark of a skilled musician is to be able to play one note and mean it, not play zillions of notes and not mean it.

(www.myspace.com/markmonaghan)
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2009, 02:59

I was wondering that myself.Someone must know something!No details of what exactly is going to be on the HR one particuarly.That one is,for me,the most highly anticipated of all the re-issues.More so than the TB one.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Opus 1 Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2009, 11:43

Well tbh I'm the same, whilst I love Tb, Hergest Ridge has to be one of my all time favourites, so it would be a shame to find out that it's not happening any more  :/

--------------
The mark of a skilled musician is to be able to play one note and mean it, not play zillions of notes and not mean it.

Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2009, 16:23

They`ll be waiting for Captain Oldfield to come back ashore so he can start dicking about with it...Again! Although to be fair I actualy prefer the version that`s available now to the original,but I`d still like for people to be able to have a choice in the matter.

I think it`s a shame that some of Mike`s more "casual" fans if you like,who may have just recently re-bought the re-release of TB.Did`nt then have the immediate opportunity to go out and buy another remaster while the guy was still fresh in their minds I suppose.The sales of MOTS increased afterwards so I`m pretty sure some of his other albums would have as well if they`d been "timed" and marketed a lot better.We could have even had a whole box-set of remasters in the same way that EMI have done with The Beatles stuff,with all sorts of bonus material,extra tracks etc.And then they could have put out an alternative box set at the same time featuring re-mixes from Mike for about 50 quid less or something.. ;) And if you think that sounds a little far fetched just look how quickly those 500 limited editions sold out,at almost half the price of the entire Bealtes back catalogue.Value for money indeed.

Hopefully we`ll see the next instalment sooner rather than later.Although I can`t help but feel that the more casual fan will have already moved on/forgotton about him....Again!
Profile PM 
Opus 1 Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2009, 19:27

Yeah you have a good point there regarding the casual fans...I'm just a sucker for anything Oldfield  :laugh:
Hopefully we'll hear something soon...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 14 2009, 04:16

Last I heard they were now hoping for February for HR and Ommadawn so no Xmas stocking fillers unfortunately......

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
154 replies since Aug. 07 2009, 05:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net