Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Releases, Hergest Ridge & Omadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tarquincat Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 05:44

Sorry if everyone already knows this, but according to Wikipedia, The re-releases of Hergest Ridge & Omadawn are due for September. Can't see that news anywhere else.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 05:51

Two in the same month?Cool although i don't really trust Wikipedia.Be good if it's true.
 Korgscrew do you know anything about it?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 06:46

Good news if true!?..Will the people who are still waiting for their editions of Tubular Bells finaly recieve them before these two albums hit the shops?.Will there be signed & limited boxed versions EXCLUSIVELY available from bandstores?..Will there be more free plectrums?

"Hey!I thought you said good news yer negative bugger"..Put back until October at the very least.My money`s on Christmas.Although given that they`re still trying to sort out/sweep under the carpet the whole big balls up with the first release...I would`nt like to guess at which Christmas.

On the other hand though if they do both come out in September and you order them online..  "Yes Yes we get the picture..And for God`s sakes shut the hell up about Christmas will ya,it`s the middle of summer man"

If it is true I wonder why they never thought of informing somebody at tubular.net?..Maybe the relevant person was on holiday?

Thanks for the "info" tarquincat.Despite everything,I hope it is sooner rather than later.With any luck maybe all the "problems" will be sorted beforehand as well.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 07:26

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 07 2009, 10:46)
If it is true I wonder why they never thought of informing somebody at tubular.net?

They did - that's where the Wikipedia information came from ;)

I think putting it up there is a tiny bit premature, to be honest - September is what they were aiming for, but I've heard nothing more specific than that. The same goes for Incantations and Platinum, which are roughly scheduled for early next year (along with the possibility of something special for Exposed, drawing on all the unreleased recordings from that tour).

There won't be any boxed sets of either Hergest Ridge or Ommadawn (what's done with all that Exposed material remains to be seen, perhaps that'll find its way into a tour box of some kind, though I'd not be surprised if they give up on the idea of doing that sort of thing), but it's likely they'll do deluxe editions.
Both will feature remixes by Mike (including, I believe, 5.1 remixes) and Hergest Ridge will include the original mix (or at least I was told that was a definite when I said how that was one of the most requested items - we'll see what actually gets released).

It'll find its way into a news post here once we've got some more firm details.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 08:16

I may be being a bit stupid (Wiltshire born Wiltshire bred.Strong in the arm thick in the head etc)but do you mean the real original mix or the current mix plus Mike's new remix?Sorry to sound a bit dubious but i don't want to start jumping round the room in anticipation until i know.And how the hell is he going to improve upon the mix for Ommamdawn?I've listened to it a million times and can't find a single thing wrong with it.
 And more from the Exposed tour?That would be interesting.According to Changeling they did bits from Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge as well as TB,Incantations and Guilty.Presumably an extended vesion of these would include some of this and therefore would need to be a triple cd.
 This is what Virgin should have done on the last re-issue.A proper re-issue program with tons of goodies.
(adopt French accent)Mercury with these re-issues you are really spoiling us!
 Here's hoping they live up to the promises. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 16:02

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 07 2009, 06:46)
Will the people who are still waiting for their editions of Tubular Bells finaly recieve them before these two albums hit the shops?.

Well I won't be buying until the RELEVENT person, whom is on their holiday right now, gets the Tubular Bells goods out to these people who have been waiting an awfully long time.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2009, 19:41

@ Richard, re. HR's original mix: should I burst out into a very loud "Hooray" or is it a little too early for it? :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2009, 08:13

Anyone heard an update on these with regards to release date and content?

--------------
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2009, 09:54

Oh Lordy. September?! Will that be before or after they've got the TB UE release problems sorted?  :p  ;)

Daft mug that I am, I suppose I shall be buying them. I only hope we haven't got to have any 'exclusive' limited edition stuff, silly plectrums or crap vinyls this time around.

(Ah, I see Korgscrew doesn't seem to think so - it'll be a relief to buy 'normal' versions from Amazon in that case  :cool: )

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2009, 19:04

Well, I would love a 5.1 remix, not so bothered if they are only a new stereo mix, the current CDs are pretty good.

Kind of hoping Mike will do something new and not spend all his time remixing his back catalogue - of course if that is how he wants to spend his time not my business to tell him otherwise :)
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 05:40

Hergest Ridge - original mix - it's kind of now or never isn't it? Fingers crossed.....

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 19:04

Quote (Fine_old_Tom @ Aug. 25 2009, 05:40)
Hergest Ridge - original mix - it's kind of now or never isn't it? Fingers crossed.....

So, this 'original mix' everyone is looking for - is this something that was projected but never released, or??  How different is it from the versions on CD now (the Virgin HDCD and the Boxed one)?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 19:25

@ Tony: it was originally released on the vinyl album. Then Mike decided he didn't like it (he thought it was too repetitious), he remixed it for Boxed and that's the mix that was used for all of the other subsequent CD releases. The original mix, which some of us here like more than the "new mix" and some don't :), essentially differs from the "new mix" in parts that have been mixed out completely (like a trumpet + snare drum section around 4:15 in Part 1) or lowered in volume (some of the melody guitars in the "Thunderstorm" section in Part 2) or, on the contrary, greatly enhanced (the female vocals singing fake lyrics in Part 2, which were very low in the original mix). I don't remember all of the other differences right now, maybe there's a comparison table somewhere...

On a side note, Mike has often stated that he's not particularily fond of HR. So I think that if the new release of HR is made with his involvement, we cannot expect anything really "special" from it - apart, of course, from the elusive original mix... which Mike doesn't like. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 08:37

Quote (trcanberra @ Aug. 27 2009, 01:04)
So, this 'original mix' everyone is looking for - is this something that was projected but never released, or??  How different is it from the versions on CD now (the Virgin HDCD and the Boxed one)?

Well - you basically have the 1974 - 1976 mix, the original mix. Then the Boxed mix, which has been used ever since. If you hear the original mix you'll find yourself hearing lots more instruments in the background. Also the first 5 minutes of Part 2 is superior - a more atmospheric sound. BUT, I'm a 'original mix' fan - no doubt 'new mix' fans will be writing after me..! It has never been available on CD - that is the big issue here. I'm just hoping that they include it in the box set. It's an ideal opportunity. Mike said at the time of Boxed, that after hearing Philip Glass minimalist compositions (at that time it would have been the Music in 12 Parts style Glass) he realised he could have repetative themes without having to have subtle changes - so it was stripped bare of things like snare drums, trumpets and some guitars. For those of us around at the time we could still buy the original mix on vinyl. Blimey - I've gone on a bit.....[/I][I]

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 08:47

There's a load of different guitar parts.On side one the general feel of the remix is much more stripped down.As i understood it Mike took out things like the trumpet cos he added it (and some of the extra guitar parts)because he thought people may  think it was to repetative if he didn't and not because the orignal was too repetative.After the remix he stated that "i've since realised that there's nothing wrong with repetition of you regard what being repeated as worth repeating"(see the Boxed booklet).The remix is actually far more repetative than the orginal one as,having taken out some parts,it removes a couple of climaxs (ooh er missus etc).
 On side two the voices are more prominant at the start and the organ theme,which on the orginal morphs from one sound to another, is paired down to one organ.The Thunderstorm part loses some guitar parts and is generally clearer as from the initial chord the sound quality becomes very boxy and somewhat muffled and the nutcracker (surely the most tragic part of the remix)has been lost totally :laugh:

As you may have guessed i much prefer the original!

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 08:49

And Fine Old Tom sent his post just as i was typing mine so sorry if i repeat some of the things he said :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 08:49

Well said Caveman!!! Hey, I'm going to play it right now (any excuse!;)....

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 08:54

Good plan that man.Fumbles in pocket for ipod.Orignal mix vinyl transfer to cd and then to ipod.Crap quality but better than nowt till we get a decent re-issue.
 Please Mr Oldfield don't dick around with this one even if you don't like it. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 08:56

Yes - if I had just one Oldfield wish that would be the one! I've got my 'lp to cd to mp3' up and running.... chillin'   :cool:

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 09:04

Same as but i'm on my lunch.10 minutes into side one.We can live in hope.The thing that intrigues me most is the Deluxe version.Will it have the orginal,the 76 remix and Mike 2009 remix?Korg can you give any clarification.I'm not too fussed about the 76 mix as,having found the original way after i became totally familiar with the 76 (from the age of about 7),i rarely listen to it now.And what will he do with the new mix.I'm actually quite excited by all this stuff.Does it show? :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
154 replies since Aug. 07 2009, 05:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net