Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Releases, Hergest Ridge & Omadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Mix Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 05 2009, 14:00

Sure I get what you mean, I was just joking about the OT subject...  :)

And yes, definitely, I would welcome new mix of Hergest Ridge, and I hope the February deadline turns out to be true. BUT, most of all I would of course like to see completely new material come out of the oven, as I believe would everyone else. Maybe these revisits to the old works like HR and Ommadawn can boost Mike's motivation in that respect. Here's hoping...
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2009, 05:44

Seasons greetings from all of us at Tubular.net Mike and family. May the Christmas cheer flow and find joy in Jake and Eugene's visit from Santa, wherever you celebrate it. Come back re energised and eager to finish remixing HR and Ommadawn!
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2009, 11:44

If you are reading this, Mike - we love your music and want you to make some more soon.  Have a wonderful Xmas!

Simon.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2010, 18:03

I am so looking forward to seeing Hergest Ridge given a dusting down and a re-release worthy of its brilliance. Although always knocked out by its predecessor, there is something quite unique about HR and I am also one of those that infinitely prefered the original mix. Hopefully, a decent deluxe package will include both main mixes - to satisy both factions but also for comparison's sake. This should have happened five or six years ago IMHO but it's never too late ...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: May 27 2010, 05:41

I'm really looking forward to hearing the Hergest Ridge remix.  Historically I'm one of the few who prefers the Boxed remix - I particularly like the stripped down sound on Part One which highlights the 'walking' motif's guitar and bass, and also the more prominent vocals in Part Two.

I'm hoping that the new remix will surpass both previous mixes and manage to please all of us.  Well, you can hope!  ;)

Nice to be back.

Love to all,

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: June 06 2010, 11:42

Out now on iTunes, and at least on the Dutch one they are 3.49 apiece!!! That's practically FREE. (I am still buying CDs though, as I want booklets.)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Incantations Offline

Posted: June 06 2010, 14:25

I'm just glad they finally threw that 'Boxed' remix out the window...

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 06 2010, 16:31

Quote (Incantations @ June 06 2010, 19:25)

< Frantically runs out the front door to catch the boxed mix as it falls out of the window >

I *love* the boxed mix!  :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 07:03

Does the 2010 Storm sequence sound more Awesome or what! it always sounds good but i think mike has cranked it up a notch or 2...  which cannt be a bad thing... :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 07 2010, 07:17

both albums are now on spotify :D
Hergest Rigde
http://open.spotify.com/album/50jELfmSWF8a8zzzs4bsUC

Ommadawn
http://open.spotify.com/album/1R0QTiBFr5zSNEgpf13A8D

:D enjoy

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
zinc Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 07:36

Thanks for the heads up on Spotify- not come across it b4- is it legal?

Z
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 07:41

Yes, Spotify is fully legal.

I have both reissues now (15 euro each, Fame store, Amsterdam). Ommadawn booklet is GORGEOUS. Haven't gotten to HR yet. The 2010 mix of Ommadawn sounds equally gorgeous. CAN NOT WAIT FOR INCANTATIONS.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Jimmy Nimbus Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 08:40

Quote (3Wheeler @ June 07 2010, 07:03)
Does the 2010 Storm sequence sound more Awesome or what! it always sounds good but i think mike has cranked it up a notch or 2...  which cannt be a bad thing... :cool:

It really does.

Actually considering Mike's problems with the original mix of HR, it's amazing how much of it has been reinstated for the 2010 mix (although 1000 Guitars is more like the Boxed version, just really beefed up).

In further curiosity news, I'm listening to the demo version on disc 2 and in structure it seems much more like the Boxed mix which lends credibility to the idea that this was really the album Mike wanted to make but felt he had to add a lot of stuff for commercial acceptance.

All this means is that I won't be able to bequeath my CD of the boxed mix to anyone as I like having that one too and the sound of it is not really represented on the new release. Nice to have multiple versions of the same album to fit with what mood you're in.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is my first post. If so: hello!
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 08:57

Just listening to Lost Ommadawn- amazing and better than the final version. BEAUTIFUL
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 16:14

Quote (Matt @ June 06 2010, 16:31)
Quote (Incantations @ June 06 2010, 19:25)

< Frantically runs out the front door to catch the boxed mix as it falls out of the window >

I *love* the boxed mix!  :p

Of Hergest Ridge?  Yes, me too.  Prefer it to the '74 mix.  I'm hoping the new mix contains elements of both.

My Ommadawn has arrived.  Hergest Ridge still on its way.....

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 16:18

Quote (zinc @ June 07 2010, 08:57)
Just listening to Lost Ommadawn- amazing and better than the final version. BEAUTIFUL

I have to say that I couldn't agree less.  It's an interesting curiosity but nothing much more than that.

I'm also unsure about the 2010 Ommadawn remix.  Most of it is little changed, but none of the more obvious differences are improvements in my book.  Except for perhaps the girls' vocals being more prominent.  The trumpet almost drowns out the lead guitar at the end of part one, which is just not right!

Still, that's the beauty of the deluxe edition - you get old, new, 'lost' and bonuses.  You can't lose!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 17:06

Quote (familyjules @ June 07 2010, 21:18)
Still, that's the beauty of the deluxe edition - you get old, new, 'lost' and bonuses.  You can't lose!

Jules

Deluxe editions? Lost Ommadawns? I've been out of the loop for ages - is this something I should know about? Has he finally released Hergular Dawn?

Just fancy being able to reply to a post by Jules, after all this time. Brilliant. (I said more about the brilliance of it in the 'autistic' thread.)
Profile PM 
whetstone Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 17:35

Got my new deluxe editions today - only had time to listen to Hergest Ridge but I am just loving it.  Mike has found new textures in the 2010 remix and there are some instruments taking prominence which were barely audible or mixed out of both the 74 and Boxed versions.  I really like the ending section of Part 1.  HR and Ommadawn are woven into the texture of my soul and I was worried these releases may have detracted from the 'preciousness' but on the evidence of HR 2010 it has been like meeting up with an old friend and finding the magic still there.  Can't wait to get my ears around the Ommadawn discs now!
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 01:50

Well I'm not really sure what to make of this... Part One starts great but then seems to become rather badly mixed! well to my ears at any rate.

I think he has over-emphasised some bits to the detriment of the whole balance of the piece.
In fact it sounds damn right amateurish!

Part Two is better but it seems to lack the overall pastoral quality it had in both the '74 and '76 mixes...until the Martian Thunderstorm which does sound amazing on this new remix.

I think we all hoped he would take the best bits of both the '74 mix and the '76 mix to create one great masterpiece but instead he seems to have decided to give us yet another interpretation which to my ears still isn't right.

I've yet to hear the surround mix but I'm not holding my breath - Mike doesn't do subtle when it comes to surround :-/

Wonderful to hear Maureen's In Dulci Jubilo in full hi-fi at last...tho its odd that they keep mentioning it in the book as the "B-side to a single" without telling us that it was Don Alfonso!

"Spanish Tune" is a complete waste of space it really is just simply an edit from part 2.

The demo's are a fabulous curates egg!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 03:55

Quote (Alan D @ June 07 2010, 17:06)
Deluxe editions? Lost Ommadawns? I've been out of the loop for ages - is this something I should know about?

Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn deluxe editions, Alan.  Get 'em!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
154 replies since Aug. 07 2009, 05:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net