Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New MO biography coming soon!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 30 2011, 18:50

Just read on Taurus IV spanish mailing list that a new MO biography is coming,from the hands of Chris Dewey of Dark Star (MO Official Fanzine), which will be called "Mike Oldfield. A life dedicated to music". More info:

http://www.mikeoldfield.org/magazine/issue28.htm

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
HR lover Offline

Posted: May 31 2011, 02:34

Cool, maybe now we get to hear more of Mike's personal life. Not that I'm such a gossip but most of the rest we'll probably know already.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 31 2011, 07:24

[img]http://nsa20.casimages.com/img....mg]

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 

Posted: May 31 2011, 14:02

From its title,seems that the focus will be on the music and hope that it fills the gap that was rushed on Changeling (90s and 2000s).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 31 2011, 17:25

I am very sure that Chris and his crew will shed some light on things we always wanted to know about Mike and his life, especially since the mid nineties.

:D
Profile PM 

Posted: June 01 2011, 07:56

More info,found it on the comments' section at Mike Oldfield Blog:

How Mike Oldfield came to be who he is, his drive to become a musician and his personal motivations about his distinguished career are covered in detail in his own autobiography, Changeling, published by Virgin books in 2007.

A life dedicated to music purposefully takes a different approach, documenting notable events, press, media and public reactions to Mike Oldfield’s work, resulting in the first comprehensive analysis of his 43 year career to 2011.

Although just a bit too young to have been aware of the seminal release of Tubular Bells in 1973, I have been following Mike Oldfield since 1979, but deeply involved since 1986, when I launched a small fan magazine in place of the official fan club run by Janet Jeal (which sadly closed in 1985). A late dear friend, Paul Beard, was heavily involved in the early days, and helped develop Shoes & Strings to a respectable magazine which exploded in size and switched to colour after handing out free promotional postcards to fans queuing for the Edinburgh premiere in 1992. Courtesy issues sent to Mike’s manager Clive Banks caught his attention and led to official accreditation in 1994.

The economies of scale from the jump in membership allowed
us to grow further, gain support and join forces with Peter Evans’ much-loved View from the Beacon and David Porter’s informative Airborne. Many fans also know Paul Harris well, who joined us to significantly develop the service from 1998. It is a testament to Mike’s long-lasting appeal that most of our early subscribers are still heavily involved with Dark Star today, including Michael Kuleczko who has been key to our
success throughout.

Research for the book has uncovered previously untold stories from childhood friends, collaborators (some from well before Tubular Bells) and early photos such as this of brother Terry (holding the eel) and sister Sally (to his left) during a fishing trip with Doreen and Eric Cooper in 1955. If you have interesting or amusing anecdotes about meeting or working
with Mike or possibly even exceptional experiences of his music, there is still time to submit them for consideration for publication in the book. Please contact me directly by email at chris@mikeoldfield.org with details as soon as possible.

The book is expected to be published later this year to help continue to fund Dark Star (a not for profit service), so please register your interest at http://www.mikeoldfield.org/biography to receive further information as soon as it is available, including access to an advanced preview of a
section of the book prior to release."

What a really interesting approach (IMHO) - can't wait to read it!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
HR lover Offline

Posted: June 01 2011, 11:00

I hope it will be objective and not too much praise, because that will destroy the integrity of the biography.

--------------
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: June 24 2011, 17:57

I'm looking forward to it.

--------------
Profile PM 
chrisdewey Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2013, 10:28

For those of you who have now read this book (see http://bit.ly/14p6WX7), did it live up to your expectations?
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since May 30 2011, 18:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net