Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Biography (By Chris Dewey)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 18 2013, 16:12

A new Mike Oldfield biography is being released by Chris Dewey, the editor of Dark Star, to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of TB. Check out a sample and pre-order it from the Dark Star website
Profile PM 
chrisdewey Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2013, 02:48

Many of the Dark Star back issues have gone out of print, so I began work just over two years ago on a compilation of the best bits from the many years of fanzines, but quickly realised that it could be so much more, weaving the stories told in interviews into a chronological history of Mike's career, adding my personal thoughts, some new interviews and photos whilst trying to make the whole thing flow as an engaging story. The book was completed in January but is now in its fifth draft revision following fantastic feedback on content and style from a small but dedicated circle of Mike Oldfield experts and friends, including Tom Newman, David Porter, Michael Kuleczko and Paul Harris. I desperately hope I won't disappoint, as there is only one chance to get this right!
Profile PM WEB 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: May 15 2013, 09:22

Received my copy today.
Superb read.ats!

(could that be Tati of this parish on the DS review list for the tome?)

:D

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: May 15 2013, 11:59

Can I just say the colour postcard that came with my pre-ordered biography sits very nicely alongside the TB Ultimate Boxset Memorabilia b+w postcard :) :)

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: May 15 2013, 12:35

Chris, you need not have worried, the book is amazing, something any fan would be proud to own...to carefully compile all the information over so many years and produce such a thoughtful tribute in this book is no mean feat, a real achievement. Well done! I can't wait to start reading it.  Love the postcards!

And the key ring is beautiful too, I forgot to say, the tubular bells logo is so subtle - something I will keep very safe! Forever :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: May 15 2013, 12:43

bee.Whatever you do, do not go to Florence and come back to England with that key-ring! ;)

(why do I have this image of milamber strolling down Bondai Beach in questionably-tight Speedo's, jauntily swinging a TB 40th anniversary 'medallion' from his torso..? )
:O

--------------
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 15 2013, 12:59

Quote (Cooper Roy @ May 15 2013, 13:22)
Received my copy today.
Superb read.ats!

(could that be Tati of this parish on the DS review list for the tome?)

:D

Yep,it's me using my real surname  :)

I've been reading the e-version on my mobile,so far so good...but I'm very old school and I can't wait to read the paperback and check the pics!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 15 2013, 15:07

Quote (Cooper Roy @ May 15 2013, 14:22)
Received my copy today.
Superb read.ats!

Yes, indeed!
It's a beautiful book and it looks to be very interesting and informative. I'm absolutely delighted by the whole package: a signed and dedicated copy, and the two lovely collector's cards. My hat's off to Chris Dewey!  :)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
chrisdewey Offline

Posted: June 25 2013, 01:26

29 years ago today, Discovery was first released. Barry Palmer recently shared his story of working with Mike Oldfield in the new biography, including this excerpt from page 70: "Barry’s favourite track was Poison Arrows, ‘because the one song contains all the elements I like to show as a singer. It has quiet verses and big choruses. Someone at Virgin Records sent an early version just as it was to Yorkshire Television, with no guitar solos, very little in the way of drums, just some light percussion, which I wish I'd kept a copy of. There had been a television series called Harry's Game, a thriller about the Irish Republican Army with theme music by Clannad. They were working on the follow up series and the director loved the sparse Poison Arrows and wanted it to be the new theme tune. When Mike finished recording Poison Arrows, they didn't like it any more, because they said it was overproduced. They couldn't come to an agreement, which was a real blow, because both versions were good in their own right." This new 220 page hardback and eBook has been reviewed as "magnificent", "superb", "invaluable" and "definitive" by various readers, and includes many untold stories and unpublished photographs.
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: July 18 2013, 04:43

Would love to read this but at £29 it's a bit too pricey  :/
Profile PM WEB 
chrisdewey Offline

Posted: July 19 2013, 11:54

Hi Ian,

As a self-published project with a smaller circulation than a commercial book, is has cost more per copy than I would have hoped. As I'm working to break even on my own expense, discounting it isn't going to be an option, I'm afraid.

I'm really sorry that this has put it out of your reach.

Very best wishes

Chris
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 19 2013, 14:56

I just realized how much better Poison Arrows (propably) could have been without the "loud" bits.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: July 26 2013, 09:03

Quote (chrisdewey @ July 19 2013, 11:54)
Hi Ian,

As a self-published project with a smaller circulation than a commercial book, is has cost more per copy than I would have hoped. As I'm working to break even on my own expense, discounting it isn't going to be an option, I'm afraid.

I'm really sorry that this has put it out of your reach.

Very best wishes

Chris

I understand where you are coming from Chris and know it's not in your control. Look forward to reading it one day though perhaps when I get few pennies come my way. I would be interested if it had info I haven't heard before, pics, insights into his life from other people who know/knew him.
Profile PM WEB 
12 replies since Feb. 18 2013, 16:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net