Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Age artists< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 06 2001, 10:38

On the 80's, a new music style, inspired by some dareful and innovative instrumental composers from the 70's as can be Mike Oldfield, was created.

In a time of commertial opportunism, this interesting new way of conceiving music, and of creating it, commonly called 'New Age' had a lot of members that weren´t so creative and often sounded boring and insipid, but I think there is a group of musicians that have made a new way in music history, giving it new meanings and expressing forms. Some of those wonderful artists can be related in style to Mike's works.

Nightnoise, a beautiful Celtic group makes things that look so close to HR, Voyager and others.

Some parts of 'The Millennium Bell' remind me to some David Arkenstone records, he is a superb composer with so much success in the States, that makes instrumental albums, some of them with a film soundtrack feel, just like Vangelis but for me much better.

'Incantations' has so much influence from minimalistic style,as do Philip Glass, Michael Nyman, or for me the best, Wim Mertens.

Stephen Caudel is a talented guitarist from the 70's that in 1986 made a record called 'Wine Dark Sea' with the same structure as 'Tubular Bells', two long instrumental parts, he played all instruments and the producer of the record was no other but Tom Newman. It´s not so similar but if you like Mike's 80's instrumentals you should look for this record.

There are two new age musicians, called Giles Reaves & Jon Goin, that made a record together called 'Letting Go'. Goin is a guitarist and has a Mike-looking style ,and if you like 'Five Miles Out' and specially 'Taurus II' you should listen to it, mostly one theme called 'Journey to the Highlands'.

There are other names as Anthony Phillips, Enigma (hate it), Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Yanni, Andreas Vollenweider, Lito Vitale, Jean-Michel Jarre, whose music could be compared with Mike´s in some moments of his career. I think that although Mike denies to say he likes new age, he has demonstrated in many records that he likes that kind of music. What do you think about it?

Delfín.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2001, 15:34

I personally don't consider him to be a "new age" artist. A lot of his albums are so different though, that it's hard to "classify" all of them into one genre. . For example TB3 is a lot different than Heaven's Open, which is different from TSODE.

What i thought was kind of interesting was that when i visited a music store in London, MO had his own section. Here in Chicago, if you see any of his records at all they're put in New Age. But when i see his name in a newspaper or on the news they refer his music to be Rock.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2001, 18:34

O.K., Mike's not new age (still, anyone could say he is on any records from TB2 on), but I mean mostly about the influence he actually has created on the "New Age" called music.

Of course, I wouldn't cathegorise Mike's music as a whole thing (Though I think you can possibly do it on each one album) but I know many different composers from different styles that have anything to do with Mike's style. It´s maybe because of the richness of that style, and of the numerous different good composers you can find, but... it´s O.K.! Points of view!

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
2 replies since Jan. 06 2001, 10:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net