Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Need to cover both sides of the coin., English words you do not like...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2008, 04:13

Regurgitate.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 31 2008, 05:22

gorgeous. For some reason this word leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. I tend to use beautiful in its place

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 31 2008, 07:47

Work. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 31 2008, 08:09

lol  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 14:34

Not sure about English, but two really ugly German words are Wurst (sausage) and Knorpel (gristle).
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2008, 14:49

Ugh.The sausage one's not too bad but the one for gristle......

Actually gristle is a pretty disgusting word!You know the way that some sounds put your teeth on edge?When i hear the word gristle my nose kind of tingles making me very aware that my nose has gristle in it.Or maybe the tingling nose means i'm related to the woman in Bewitched. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2008, 17:21

"Spinster", it's a horrible word I think of sad lonely old woman , never been married/or in a long term relationship

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2008, 18:34

In the 21st century "spinster" is now called "urban cougar".

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2008, 18:41

I hate all those words derived from Latin or Greek which are related to illnesses - such as asthma, phlegm, astigmatism, sterile, sclerosis, syndrome, pneumonia, miopia [which I do suffer from, i.e. short-sightedness], staphilococcus, etc. etc. etc. It's the sort of language used only by doctors, which to me sounds really awful, and I hate it both for its sheer 'technicality' and for its meaning, which is obviously not pleasant. However, I hate technical language in general, I hate using it. When I have to talk about something technical and there's a simpler English word to name it, I prefer using the simpler word. If I realize that I need to use technical words to talk about something, I just don't talk about it. :)

Oh, and there's one more word I really hate. Meteorism. In everyday speech, that's called farting. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 07 2008, 21:59

I love words derived from Latin and Greek. For some reason. One thing I hate about the English language, though, it how it openly steals words from different languages, without even adapting them. Thus, you end up with words like influenza, cliché, façade and naïve, which not only don't quite "fit" in, but introduce those graphic signs that, otherwise, would be absolutely unnecessary.

Naïve; man, that word sounds completely wrong in the English language.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 01:52

Naive sounds like a color. Pass me the royal naive Joey.....

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 03:07

[quote=Sir Mustapha,Aug. 08 2008, 02:59][/quote]
One thing I hate about the English language, though, it how it openly steals words from different languages, without even adapting them.

Yeah but in fairness we had a lot of those words kind of thrust upon us by all those French and Italian dudes that kept coming over here and messing about with our delicate dark age infra-structure.Not to mention all those horn blowing long boat sailing Scandanavian chaps.My second name is French for instance(Charters) So it`s probably a fair bet that one of my long distant ancestors first came over here to give poor old King Harold one in the eye.Not the smartest of moves though.Sticking your King up on a hill in plain view of all those hotshot Norman archers.Pretty darn naive when you think about it..See that was the problem we needed educating.We probably had absolutely no idea what the hell naive was until that exact moment.You know we probably held conversations at that time that would maybe go a little bit like this...

"You know I`ve got the strangest feeling that I`ve been here before at some point".
"Yeah I`ve had that feeling before kind of weird isn`t it?"
"Yeah it is weird,because I`m absolutely certain that I hav`nt been here before."
"Man that is odd,..If only there was some kind of word or phrase to describe that exact feeling you`re talking about there".
"Oh yeah that`d be pretty cool I must admit".
"Anyway forget about that for now looks like those Norman geezers are planning some kind of attack here".
"Certainly looks that way mate.Better send The King up to the top of that hill there where he`ll be completely safe and no mistake".
"Good thinking dude".
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 04:35

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 07 2008, 22:34)
In the 21st century "spinster" is now called "urban cougar".

I must admit being an "Urban Cougar" sounds much better than spinster  :cool: , What about those "Cougars" who live in the country, are they "Countryside "Cougars" ????  

I know when I applied to get married to my now ex husband, my status was "spinster", I think "Urban Cougar" or "Batchelorette" sounds much nicer.  Not that I'm in danger of becoming an old spinster as I've been in relationships, with my now ex husband for 16 years, and then I had a 1year 6month break, following our separation,  I was looking , I think love creeps up on you when you least expect it, as was the case with me , and I've been wonderful boyfriend 1year 4months      :)  :D , and things are very serious. The only problem is were not close enough , but this is due to geography, in that we live 60 miles apart. I know this won't always be the case though, as soon as I can move up to Warwickshire I'm going.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 06:18

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 08 2008, 08:07)
[quote=Sir Mustapha,Aug. 08 2008, 02:59][/quote]
One thing I hate about the English language, though, it how it openly steals words from different languages, without even adapting them.

Yeah but in fairness we had a lot of those words kind of thrust upon us by all those French and Italian dudes that kept coming over here and messing about with our delicate dark age infra-structure.Not to mention all those horn blowing long boat sailing Scandanavian chaps.My second name is French for instance(Charters) So it`s probably a fair bet that one of my long distant ancestors first came over here to give poor old King Harold one in the eye.Not the smartest of moves though.Sticking your King up on a hill in plain view of all those hotshot Norman archers.Pretty darn naive when you think about it..See that was the problem we needed educating.We probably had absolutely no idea what the hell naive was until that exact moment.You know we probably held conversations at that time that would maybe go a little bit like this...

"You know I`ve got the strangest feeling that I`ve been here before at some point".
"Yeah I`ve had that feeling before kind of weird isn`t it?"
"Yeah it is weird,because I`m absolutely certain that I hav`nt been here before."
"Man that is odd,..If only there was some kind of word or phrase to describe that exact feeling you`re talking about there".
"Oh yeah that`d be pretty cool I must admit".
"Anyway forget about that for now looks like those Norman geezers are planning some kind of attack here".
"Certainly looks that way mate.Better send The King up to the top of that hill there where he`ll be completely safe and no mistake".
"Good thinking dude".

LOL you do write an entertaining post my friend  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 09:32

I agree with you to a point,Sir M,but if you look at the origins of the English language it is a totally mongrel language which has evolved,and stolen,from loads of different places.Primarily it's a germanic language with Norse/Scandinavian,but,like it's inhabitants,it's a huge mix.The closest you can get to the 'original' language of the celtic Britains is Welsh or Cornish.

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 12:11

See? The more variety there is, the more homogeneity there is within it lol  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 17:26

I particularly dislike the word Hate, more-so when it follow's I.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 19:17

I love the word "hate" when it's in italics.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 21:42

Touche  ;)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2008, 18:25

Two of my most hated words in combination are "Nanny State" , it seems as if you can't go anywhere without someone being able to watch your every move or in some way track you.  Yes I agree there's a minority of people who spoil it for the vast majority of citizens.  In my opinion crime figures seem to have gone up with all this constant surveilance.

Another word I hate is "vitcim":O   so negative I much prefer the term "Survivor"  :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
24 replies since July 31 2008, 04:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net