Poll choices Votes Statistics
Incredible experience listening to this! 1  [33.33%]
Nice, relaxing piece of music. 2  [66.67%]
About average... 0  [0.00%]
You quite screwed this up. 0  [0.00%]
Stop posting this crap! 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Naamloos (Nameless), You know what the green symbol means...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 02 2004, 12:20

Yes, an old piano piece. This was the first one which I dared to participate with in a youth composition contest. It ain't complex, just soft 'n' dreamy.

Naamloos (Nameless)

It's an mp3 this time, little downpart to the hosting of soundclick.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2004, 18:26

Quite nice. It's more the kind of thing to listen to in the background as it doesn't have much variety or change at all, but it develops well and is overall very nice. Good job.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 02 2004, 23:36

Well... lookie lookie... see who's flirting with minimalism??

Actually, for you, something minimal is still quite busy, especially with the right hand playing. I think I hear ninth and suspended second chords in there, which gives it a further "dreamy" quality (but I've had a few drinks tonight, so my ears might not be as sharp as they could be :-)

Since you're recording with a mic with a REAL acoustic piano, maybe some EQ to give it a bit more bottom end might be a good idea, as well as a bit of noise reduction/gating to alleviate some of the background noise picked up by the microphone.

Sounds good, though. Silly complex musicians trying to pass their stuff off as "simple and minimal..." :-)

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2004, 09:49

Brandon: thx. :-)

Khoa: You mean the left hand, right? That's the one that provides the more chaotic parts at the beginning and end.
And about the equalising and noise reduction: I actually did both. :) (thanks for that Audacity program, btw!;).  I diminished the lower frequencies, trying to get more attention on the melody (is that what you mean with 'bottom end' ?). I'll try to focus more on the noise, though.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2004, 12:58

sigh... right, left, what's the difference??  :/

Actually, the problem sometimes is that the piano sound might be a bit too thin, and may need a bit of boosting from a low-frequency perspective. Also with the compressor you put on the file, try "normalising" it to 95% or so, to get that nice high volume that'll be closer to other mp3 files.

have fun!

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2004, 18:21

You create a good atmosphere once again, especially during the more turbulent sections at the beginning and end. The heavy use of pedal gives it a dreamy quality that you described it as

How did you do in the competition? What were the other entries like?
Profile PM 
5 replies since Mar. 02 2004, 12:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net