Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mysterious guitar string exciting device...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 07:04

Anyone knows what this might be? It's nothing I've seen Mike using (yet), but on a live show with David Bowie that I recorded recently from TV.
Especially noticable during 'Heroes', the guitar player wasn't picking or strumming, but holding some small device (size of a cigarette box apporox.) against the strings to get these endlessly sustained notes so prominent in this song out of his instrument.  Some kind of feedback-generator, or a small, motor-driven wheel inside, kind of bowing the strings?
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 08:46

Oh yes, I've noticed that a couple of times during the Reality Tour DVD (which I love, by the way). The guitarist Gerry Leonard (I assume it's the same one) gets some very interesting sounds in a few places, particularly New Killer Star and Hallo Spaceboy for anyone who has the DVD. (He also uses some very nice echo and effects in the intros to Sunday and Heathen, nothing to do with the box thingy but I love them anyway). My guess is something to do with magnets.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
verhfrank Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 10:08

The device that is being used is an EBow, which uses a magnetic field to vibrate the strings infinitely. It's the same device used by The Edge on 'With Or Without You' and is heard on many other recordings.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 05:51

Thanks a lot - thought of something like that - it's just much easier to google for something if you know what it's called:
http://www.ebow.com - for the manufaturer's site. Looks cute - maybe I'll get one for my kids (two guitar- and one bass-player...).
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2005, 06:28

Thanks for the info verhfrank. The more I read and hear about it, the more I want to get one.

And I don't even play the guitar!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 03:17

Now having spotted it once, I've just seen it again used by Steve Hacket in a German TV gig from 1979 I 'disked' last night, and one of our local music stores sells one for 139 Euros..
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since Aug. 22 2005, 07:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net