Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My review of the album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Elf Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 09 2014, 17:01

I wrote a review of Man on the Rocks for a Norwegian magazine. Here's the English translation for your entertainment.

Mike Oldfield postponed his retirement after getting the taste of success again during the London Olympics in 2012. But is it worth it?

27th of July 2012:A little bit more than half of the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in London has been performed. And then it happens: The tribute to the National Health Service is about to start, and Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells announced. The composition is being performed by Oldfield and a band, which includes his son. Halfway through Tubular Bells goes into a 1920s swing session, and dancers dressed as nurses gives us one hell of a show. And Oldfield himself looks like one of the happiest people on Earth, and is visibly very moved by it all.

The director of the opening ceremony, film maker Danny Boyle, has understood what the rest of the British meda and cultural elite haven't: The sound of Tubular Bells is the sound of the 70s and it had a huge effect in the world of music.

The record was written by a then 17 year old boy, with huge psychological problems, and was released when he was only 19. It created the foundation for Richard Branson's Virgin empire, it created a template for the soundtracks of horror films by being used in the Exorcist, and the list of songs that has sampled Tubular Bells is long.

Having been met with snorts of derision for several decades back home in England (even shifting 17 millions copies of your debut album isn't enough to get any respect), the opening of the Olympics was a wonderful moment of redemption. Even a sports hater like me is in front of the TV, all smiles, and I find the whole thing very touching. It's well deserved for my old musical hero.

Predictably a compilation album is released shortly after the Olympics, and the sales of his back catalogue rises considerably (not that he needs the money after having been very wise with his finances). But most importantly: He decides to postpone his retirement. The result is now a brand new album, Man on the Rocks.

A lot of Oldfield fans were hoping for a new hour long opus, like in his heyday, but what we get is 11 very personal pop and rock songs. Even if Oldfield is living the life on the Bahamas he still has enough demons to sing and write about. Not least after his latest divorce, which has also separated him from his youngest son.

Unfortunately for us Oldfield fans, the album consists of complete middle of the road music that you expect to hear on bland radio stations. The record starts with cheerfully with the single Sailing, a song which got him A-listed on BBC2. It has a chorus that just gets stuck inside your head, even if you really don't want it to.

This is followed by songs that you forget immediately after hearing them. Moonshine is a bit U2-like (yes, you know that guitar sounds everyone thinks Edge invented) and also has strong elements of Irish music. The title track is an attempt at a power ballad. Problem is that is lacks power, even if Luke Spiller from the Struts (who?) does his best Freddie Mercury impression. Spiller is also the singer on all the songs.

The problem is that most of the album just flows in one ear, and out the other. It doesn't resonate or stay with you. However, halfway through it, things are really picking up. First you have the absolutely beautiful Dreaming in the Wind. Part Moonlight Shadow, part Crowded House. This is followed by Nucelar, a power ballad that actually does have power.

And then the highlight hits you: Chariots! Oldfield do know how to write catchy and engaging songs when he puts his mind to it. This is a good old fashioned rock tune, with a sing along chorus and several possibilities for headbanging. It's catchy as hell, and if this isn't the second single from the album, someone should resign!

After this we take a huge nosedive again. The utterly dull, and way too long, Following the Angels does the album no favours. But then things pick up for a moment, via the blues rock piece called Irene, named after the famous hurricane. This is a mix of Free, AC/DC and Rolling Stones. Raw, unpretentious and straight forward. I didn't know Oldfield had it in him.

Unfortunately the album ends with a dull song called I Give Myself Away, originally written by William McDowell.

Don't get me wrong: It's very nice to see Oldfield back in business again, and I really hope the album becomes a success for him. Maybe that will encourage Oldfield to give us a more challenging album next time around. But this is way too middle of the road.

Grade: 5 out of 10
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 08:08

"Unfortunately for us Oldfield fans, the album consists of complete middle of the road music that you expect to hear on bland radio stations. The record starts with cheerfully with the single Sailing, a song which got him A-listed on BBC2."

So Mike Oldfield should feel bad for making music that the wider audience actually want to listen to ?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 09:05

It may be not everybody's cup of tea,but I don't think he was up to write an opera-rock piece with personal songs (using the MOTR format) filled up with long instrumental pieces in between on this album.

I've been talking to other fans,if he'd returned with a new instrumental album and forced to call it TB IV (or any Tubular Bells' related name) just for the sake of selling.People would be complaining about it (again,another TB album). It's hard where to put MOTR on my favourite list - still The Millennium Bell is his worst album,followed by Tres Lunas/L+S (which back then I used to enjoy a lot)/Voyager/The Killing Fields.I barely listen to these ones...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 09:22

:) It's funny how many of us have different ideas about the worst Mike albums... Neglecting the "common" ones (Millennium Bell, Light+Shade, Tres Lunas), sometimes there are albums that I consider marvellous that end in the "worst section", like Voyager, which in my opinion is a little pearl of acoustic and poetic visions, so inspired.

Anyway, there are (imho) some "objective" things we can hear in Mike's album. As an example, take the Earth Movings songs: ok, some are silly or very very "easy listeining", but the arrangements and the instrumental ideas are far superior to the simplistic strumming guitars+bass+pads of MOTR.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 10:45

Quote (knife edge @ Mar. 10 2014, 09:22)
:) It's funny how many of us have different ideas about the worst Mike albums... Neglecting the "common" ones (Millennium Bell, Light+Shade, Tres Lunas), sometimes there are albums that I consider marvellous that end in the "worst section", like Voyager, which in my opinion is a little pearl of acoustic and poetic visions, so inspired.

Anyway, there are (imho) some "objective" things we can hear in Mike's album. As an example, take the Earth Movings songs: ok, some are silly or very very "easy listeining", but the arrangements and the instrumental ideas are far superior to the simplistic strumming guitars+bass+pads of MOTR.

yeah but the good voyager tracks aren't MO-compositions ;)

I kinda like that album too, just like TSODE
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 11:14

Quote (Jesse @ Mar. 10 2014, 10:45)
Quote (knife edge @ Mar. 10 2014, 09:22)

yeah but the good voyager tracks aren't MO-compositions ;)

I kinda like that album too, just like TSODE

Mont St.Michel... I find this track beautiful  :) And the traditionals, Flowers of the Forest is a medley of two traditionals made by Mike, and is so powerful and "mike".
Anyway, the aim of Voyager is a tribute to celtic music, so... it's ok in all its tracks.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 11:27

Yeah, we have the same taste ;) but Voyager and TSODE are quite unpopular albums by most mo-fans
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 12:31

Quote (Jesse @ Mar. 10 2014, 16:27)
Yeah, we have the same taste ;) but Voyager and TSODE are quite unpopular albums by most mo-fans

I find that an ASTOUNDING claim.

True, a lot of people don't quite get Voyager (which I blame on a bad mix - the 'penny whistle' being over-used and way too sharp in the mix) and, frankly, a lack of appreciation for actual celtic-style music (for an entire album).

But I have never, until this week, seen anyone decribe TSoDE as anything other than the masterpiece that it is! (And I would say the amount of people saying similar to what I have just said would testify to that!;)
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 12:38

...dull...predictable...way too long...

Heresy! Next you'll be saying that Mike's next album (rumoured to be a triple CD of him farting in the bath) is not the finest set of sounds ever committed to polycarbonate plastic??!

He is clearly a witch - burn him!!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 12:44

Quote (Covenant @ Mar. 10 2014, 12:31)
But I have never, until this week, seen anyone decribe TSoDE as anything other than the masterpiece that it is! (And I would say the amount of people saying similar to what I have just said would testify to that!;)

The same here: I've looked around in the forum and most people really appreciate TSODE for the masterpiece it is!  :)
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 13:52

Quote (Priabonia @ Mar. 10 2014, 17:38)
...dull...predictable...way too long...

Heresy! Next you'll be saying that Mike's next album (rumoured to be a triple CD of him farting in the bath) is not the finest set of sounds ever committed to polycarbonate plastic??!

He is clearly a witch - burn him!!

I was actually lucky enough to sit in on the demo-ing process for this album - At first I thought the remaking of what we deem to be 'classics' in this style did raise a few eyebrows (as well as curl a few nostrils).

But to see, hear and smell the renditions of; "Mike Oldfield's Farting", "Hergest Rift", "Oh My Fart" and the well beloved songs, "Poo France", "Window's Open", "Holey (undies)" and a very ambitious reworking of his new single entitled simply "Farting"... well, frankly, I wish him luck!

Despite everyone else in the room at the time saying "This is stinking!" I think it was great!! But during the pressing stage, the vinyl kept melting!

(This post void where prohibited by law - Love Ya Mike!;)   :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 14:27

Quote (Covenant @ Mar. 10 2014, 17:52)
But during the pressing stage, the vinyl kept melting!

Clearly they made the mistake of cutting an acetate when the appropriate thing would have been cutting cheese.

I'll get my coat (and my gas mask).
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2014, 16:09

True, a lot of people don't quite get Voyager (which I blame on a bad mix - the 'penny whistle' being over-used and way too sharp in the mix) and, frankly, a lack of appreciation for actual celtic-style music (for an entire album).

Really? I base it on what I have read here over the years :p
Maybe it depends on the time when I read a lot of topics here.
But check:

http://tubular.net/forums/whats-your-order--?act=ST;f=9;t=9074;st=0

See how often it is not scoring high?
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2014, 05:54

Quote (Jesse @ Mar. 10 2014, 16:09)

Really? I base it on what I have read here over the years
But check:

Jesse,

I have to agree with Covenant and Knife Edge. TSODE is nothing less than a masterpiece.

And unfortunately by posting that link you have only succeeded in rubbishing your own argument, in that statistically 70% of the people who have posted a list containing TSODE consider it to be within the TOP 50% (i.e. within the top 13) of Mike's (27) albums. :)

Hence your statement that TSODE is quite unpopular by most mo-fans is wholly factually incorrect. Sorry!  ;)

That said, of course you are perfectly entitled to your own opinion regards TSODE and to position it towards the bottom of your own list, if you so choose; but as of today you would be within the 30% minority  :)
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2014, 08:01

Quote (scienceguy @ Mar. 11 2014, 05:54)
Quote (Jesse @ Mar. 10 2014, 16:09)

Really? I base it on what I have read here over the years
But check:

Jesse,

I have to agree with Covenant and Knife Edge. TSODE is nothing less than a masterpiece.

And unfortunately by posting that link you have only succeeded in rubbishing your own argument, in that statistically 70% of the people who have posted a list containing TSODE consider it to be within the TOP 50% (i.e. within the top 13) of Mike's (27) albums. :)

Hence your statement that TSODE is quite unpopular by most mo-fans is wholly factually incorrect. Sorry!  

That said, of course you are perfectly entitled to your own opinion regards TSODE and to position it towards the bottom of your own list, if you so choose; but as of today you would be within the 30% minority  

I do find it a masterpiece. I didn't say I don't think it is a masterpiece. But my experience of browsing this forum has led me to believe I am in the minority of that opinion.

And it's nice you summarized those threads: thanks :)

But you are not right when you say "Hence your statement that TSODE is quite unpopular by most mo-fans is wholly factually incorrect. Sorry! "

It's a matter of interpreting those numbers. Top 50% xD are you serious? How does that make it a 'standout' album?
How many have put it in their top5?

To be fair: you said it was one of his best albums in the past 20 years right? You may be right when we take that thread and only look at the albums of the last 20 years. I'll give you that ;)

But the matter aside: it's pretty cool to see more people loving TSODE
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2014, 09:21

Quote (Jesse @ Mar. 11 2014, 08:01)

I do find it a masterpiece. I didn't say I don't think it is a masterpiece. But my experience of browsing this forum has led me to believe I am in the minority of that opinion.

But you are not right when you say "Hence your statement that TSODE is quite unpopular by most mo-fans is wholly factually incorrect. Sorry! "

It's a matter of interpreting those numbers. Top 50% xD are you serious? How does that make it a 'standout' album?

To be fair: you said it was one of his best albums in the past 20 years right? You may be right when we take that thread and only look at the albums of the last 20 years. I'll give you that ;)

That depends on how you interpret "quite unpopular", which I inferred as meaning 'bottom 50%' ;)

Now "stand out album" is a different matter entirely, wherein I agree with you it is surprising how TSODE is not in everyone's TOP 10  :)
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2014, 14:10

Quote (scienceguy @ Mar. 11 2014, 09:21)
Quote (Jesse @ Mar. 11 2014, 08:01)

That depends on how you interpret "quite unpopular", which I inferred as meaning 'bottom 50%' ;)

Now "stand out album" is a different matter entirely, wherein I agree with you it is surprising how TSODE is not in everyone's TOP 10  :)

Ah, right. I see what you mean.

I remember a lot of talk about that album being new age boring.
Lots of haters and lovers of that album.

But I love it, no idea how high i would rate it though :)
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2014, 16:41

Quote (Covenant @ Mar. 10 2014, 20:52)
[...] But to see, hear and smell the renditions of; "Mike Oldfield's Farting", "Hergest Rift", "Oh My Fart" and the well beloved songs, "Poo France", "Window's Open", "Holey (undies)" and a very ambitious reworking of his new single entitled simply "Farting"... well, frankly, I wish him luck!

Ah, memories...

A link to a silly thread at alt.music.mike-oldfield

:D

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2014, 05:38

Quote (Markus K. @ Mar. 11 2014, 21:41)
Quote (Covenant @ Mar. 10 2014, 20:52)
[...] But to see, hear and smell the renditions of; "Mike Oldfield's Farting", "Hergest Rift", "Oh My Fart" and the well beloved songs, "Poo France", "Window's Open", "Holey (undies)" and a very ambitious reworking of his new single entitled simply "Farting"... well, frankly, I wish him luck!

Ah, memories...

A link to a silly thread at alt.music.mike-oldfield

:D

:D  :D  

Ahhh them were the days!!!

:D  :D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2014, 05:40

Songs of Distant Earth is a great album, with some of Mike's best musical moments, and the guitar playing is also wonderful. Don't forget it was inspired by a book, so it does hold a unique place in Mike's lists of albums.
Profile PM 
21 replies since Mar. 09 2014, 17:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net