Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My review of Light + Shade< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AlexS Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 14:26

My first impression on hearing Light + Shade was that it very much felt like a continuation of Tr3s Lunas. Considering I really like Tr3s Lunas, it's not a bad thing, though I was expecting something a bit more experimental.

The first disc, "Light", deals with the more melodic and floaty guitar and piano-led tracks. Sadly with "Light" there's a feeling of 'heard it all before', and it's not particularly adventurous. Despite that, it's a melodic and pleasant listen, with the best tracks being "Angelique", and "Our Father" - which is so atmospheric and uplifting.

However the "Shade" disc, is something much more interesting. Since Mike's first experiments with a more electronic dance-based music with Tubular Bells III, there has been a darker, heavier, more electronic side to Mike's music trying to get out - and he has finally unleashed it here.

"Quicksilver", "Resolution" and  "Slipstream" are all fantastic, driving tracks. I can't get enough of them. Towards the end of the disc there's the absolutely beautiful "Ringscape", and the haunting closing number "Nightshade", – one of the many tracks to stick in your head along with the various tubular riffs that spring up now and again.

If anything Light + Shade is Oldfield's 'technology' album, made almost entirely with a brand new studio - and most significantly the use of the vocal software packages - which replace his usual 'real' female guest vocalists. The electronic vocals that crop up here and there are quite effective despite an obviously synthesised sound.

Overall, the 'chill out' aspect is a tried and tested formulae - which is in danger of becoming stale and maybe a bit dated. While I like this album very much, I would hope for something more experimental and adventurous in the future.

The technological aspect of the album often overshadows the music, and the end result is cold and synthetic in places, which left me yearning for the warm and rustic tones of Mike's earlier work.

Like it or not, given the diversity of what's gone before, from the adventurous and experimental early albums, the bizarre all-song albums of the 1980s to his vast and varied work of the 1990s, the music on offer here is simply another aspect of Mike's versatility and an example of his staying power.

But, despite the 'computer software' feel, I really like the Shade CD, and for me, the album is worth it for that disc alone – I have to admit, I haven't been this completely hooked on a Mike Oldfield album since 1995's The Songs of Distant Earth.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 22:51

I agree with everything you say except for two small points, the vocaloids bug me, can't help it, they are just too hard to understand and I don't like the way they sound at all, and I wouldn't say I am completely hooked. I like the album though, esp Shade, and find all your other comments very succinct and apt.

Cheers.
Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 05:38

The Light disc is yet to grow on me, other than Angelique, Our Father and First Steps, which I instantly loved. I guess I've been playing Shade so much I've not given myself the chance to get into Light.

I don't mind the vocaloid vocals, though I would prefer no lyrics/vocals at all. I think the synthesised vocals work okay on Resolution where it's purely vocal.

I guess my version doesn't have the bonus tracks on, so I'm yet to hear those.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 10:14

I think you're about right with your review, only I'm not as positive. I like Shade much more and Light is for me really not what I expected it to be.

On shade there are some great songs tho.

PS. Resolution is just fing awesome.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 10:38

Just for completeness' sake, here's my review.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 11:25

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 08 2005, 15:38)

Just been reading it, and found myself agreeing with a surprising number of your comments - and like yours, my 'filtered' version would be only about half of what's there -not the same as yours; but there's a fair bit of overlap.

But what I can't understand, and what I find painful - and you won't be surprised because we've been here before - is the tone of what you write. Things like this:

This is definitely a song that could be made into a real masterpiece by someone more skillful, and is so good that not even Mike himself can ruin it

or this:

And if that's not enough, you've got the slow, "menacing" 'Resolution', a melody-less pile of synthesizer and guitar loops, useless synth vocals and an amazingly terrible synth vocalist wailing and shrieking and yelling like she was a cross between Clare Torry, a constipated chicken and a very, very bad Japanese animé character being raped by tentacles. There are no words to describe this.

I suppose it depends on what you want from a review, but this tells me nothing about the music. Instead, it draws attention away from the music, and onto the reviewer, and what an uncharitable bad temper he's in, and how he will crush beneath a weight of insults this insignificant weed who had the temerity to make this track.

I just think it's a real shame. You have so many interesting things to say about Mike Oldfield's music, and your views about Amarok have given me food for thought for months - and I'm really grateful for that. But this hectoring, slap-him-down sarcastic tone just ruins this review for me.

A bad piece of music (if it is a bad one) doesn't need trampling on with such violence. It will eventually just fade away and be ignored.
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 12:11

He's probably on the wrong forum, listening to the wrong album by somebody who isn't Mike Olfdield.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 14:04

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 08 2005, 10:38)

Most probably the best and most truthfull review I have read so far.
Profile PM 
Redvers Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 06:41

Sitting, waiting for Exposed DVD to arrive (Melbourne - decided to wait for Red Dwarf 7 as well) I've been listening to L and S every day and night. And I'm really enjoying it!  I don't think it sounds like any other album - and I have them all. Interestingly, both I feel, dip towards the end, Light with "Our Father" and "Rocky"  Shade with "Romance" and "Ringscape" but only marginally, and both finish strongly. Lakme I adore - and I do know the original - the guitar at the end is pure Oldfield!

Yes, it's different from the rest, even though Tres Lunas has a reprise, but a life of Oldfield is worth living! (approaching 54 rapidly.)

I haven't played Incantations for a week or so - such expectation!

--------------
Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
Profile PM 
Redvers Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2005, 07:15

PS. Sunset is still my favourite track - perhaps it's an age thing!

--------------
Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 06:15

Quote (The Man who is He.. @ Nov. 08 2005, 19:04)
Most probably the best and most truthfull review I have read so far.

I'm interested in your use of the word 'truthful' here. It's not clear what you mean, but I narrowed it down to two possibilities:

1. By 'most truthful', do you mean 'most accurate'?
If you do, then read again that intensely subjective, harsh assessment of 'Resolution', and the insulting comment about Mike's supposed incompetence that I quoted in my post above. How can they be described as accurate?

2. Or perhaps by 'most truthful' you mean 'most honest'?
Well, it's never occurred to me for a moment that Sir M's views were not sincerely held. But then, it's never occurred to me that the expressed views of others were not sincere either. So if by 'truthful' you mean 'honest', then which reviews have you read that were less honest than this one?

Or perhaps there's some third meaning of 'truthful' that I haven't covered here?
Profile PM 
MyCoalField Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 18:51

Regardless of whether Sir M is being truthful or not, this has to be one of the funniest reviews I have read in a while. I am a huge MO fan but it doesn't offend me when someone dares to slam our hero or his musical offerings. Simply his point of view INIT.

Come on guys, don't take life / music so seriously, Alan , take a chill pill. Even Mike has hinted that he cannot believe how wound up his fans get at times when discussing his music.

On balance I think Sir M has summarised this album very skillfully, and yes, the wailing vocals do sound like the entire chicken population of Thailand has met a fate worse than bird flu.

Ho hum.
Profile PM 
Wanderer Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 19:43

I read all of Sir Mustapha's reviews on that page... I agree with some of his sentiments, what I don't like is the arrogant and patronising tone of many of his reviews - he seems to be putting himself in a position of intellectual superiority to those who disagree with him, with his constant refrains of "Go to hell" and "Who cares?" directed at people who like certain tracks.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 20:23

Quote (MyCoalField @ Nov. 14 2005, 23:51)
Come on guys, don't take life / music so seriously, Alan , take a chill pill. Even Mike has hinted that he cannot believe how wound up his fans get at times when discussing his music.

Ho hum.

Alan D   Posted on Nov. 08 2005, 16:25
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 08 2005, 15:38)

Just been reading it, and found myself agreeing with a surprising number of your comments - and like yours, my 'filtered' version would be only about half of what's there -not the same as yours; but there's a fair bit of overlap.

But what I can't understand, and what I find painful - and you won't be surprised because we've been here before - is the tone of what you write. Things like this:

This is definitely a song that could be made into a real masterpiece by someone more skillful, and is so good that not even Mike himself can ruin it

or this:

And if that's not enough, you've got the slow, "menacing" 'Resolution', a melody-less pile of synthesizer and guitar loops, useless synth vocals and an amazingly terrible synth vocalist wailing and shrieking and yelling like she was a cross between Clare Torry, a constipated chicken and a very, very bad Japanese animé character being raped by tentacles.

I suppose it depends on what you want from a review, but this tells me nothing about the music. Instead, it draws attention away from the music, and onto the reviewer, and what an uncharitable bad temper he's in, and how he will crush beneath a weight of insults this insignificant weed who had the temerity to make this track.

I just think it's a real shame. You have so many interesting things to say about Mike Oldfield's music, and your views about Amarok have given me food for thought for months - and I'm really grateful for that. But this hectoring, slap-him-down sarcastic tone just ruins this review for me.

A bad piece of music (if it is a bad one) doesn't need trampling on with such violence. It will eventually just fade away and be ignored.

If Alan needs to take a chill pill then Sir M could also do with taking one too.

The thing I do take a strong dislike to in Sir M's post is the way he  
describes the wailing vocals on Resolution as
a very, very bad Japanese animé character being raped by tentacles.

Sorry Sir M , how you can compare Resolution  to being raped, even if you do put it in the context of a bad Japanese cartoon animated character is beyond me.  I also help to run a website for female survivors of rape and sexual abuse,  I'm sure amongst the members on TubularBoard there must be some survivors among us.  I am concerned that these comments could be taken wrongly , as so to trivialise rape/abuse(I'm sure that isn't your intention Sir M).  I'm sure even the most hard as nails blokes here would cry if they could read some of these women's posts, but I have to maintain their confidentiality, that I've been entrusted with.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
tamas Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 23:41

I myself like Resolution, but I think there is nothing wrong with Sir M.'s review. As we all know, the 'art' of anime is concentrated partly on sexual abuse, so if you criticize Sir M's post, you shoud criticize first the style of japanise cartoons. I think it is important for a critice to use irony, even sometimes such a strong way. If Mike has a sense of humour (and he definetely has) I am sure, he would laugh on that sentence.
If somebody says "this trumpet sounds like a fart of an eliphant" would you say he trivialize animal rights? Or if somebody writes similarly "she sings a screaming victim of a serial killer"  would you say he trivilaze murder? I dont think so.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 04:40

Quote (MyCoalField @ Nov. 14 2005, 23:51)
it doesn't offend me when someone dares to slam our hero or his musical offerings. Simply his point of view INIT. ...
Even Mike has hinted that he cannot believe how wound up his fans get at times when discussing his music.

If you'd be so good as to read my original post properly, you'll see that this is not a discussion about the music. What I find painful is not the opinion expressed, but the insulting, cruel tone of it. It's uncharitable to write with such contempt about anyone's honest work - let alone Mike Oldfield's. That's hardly an extreme view to take: it's just a simple matter of basic respect for one's fellow human beings - and that doesn't seem unimportant or trivial. Or perhaps it does, to you?

Before you make such patronising comments as 'take a chill pill', please take the trouble to try to understand what I'm saying, first.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 07:14

Quote (tamas @ Nov. 15 2005, 04:41)
, the 'art' of anime is concentrated partly on sexual abuse, so if you criticize Sir M's post, you shoud criticize first the style of japanise cartoons. I think it is important for a critice to use irony, even sometimes such a strong way. If Mike has a sense of humour (and he definetely has) I am sure, he would laugh on that sentence.
If somebody says "this trumpet sounds like a fart of an eliphant" would you say he trivialize animal rights? Or if somebody writes similarly "she sings a screaming victim of a serial killer"  would you say he trivilaze murder? I dont think so.

I hate the style of these Japanese cartoons, to me they seem to promote mindeless violence.

I feel as if Sir M's post seems to trivialise rape,  that was the impression I got from reading his review, I'm sure that wasn't his intentions.    
Fair enough Sir M hates Resolution with  a vengance, that's his right, but to compare Resolution to being raped, even if it's decsribed in the context of a bad Japanese cartoon, I do not find humourous at all.

No matter how bad a MO listener finds Resolution, it CANNOT be anywhere as near as horriffic as having suffered a rape or sexual abuse.  Through my website work with female survivours of rape /abuse, such an attack can take many years to "heal", if indeed healing is ever complete. Many survivours learn to live with the enormity of what has happened to them,  after years of self doubt, lack of confidence, feeling a "wimp", feeling unable to say "No", possibly as a result of threats, plus many more ,  this list is by no means fully exhaustive.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 12:09

At a moment like this, I could be defensive, and tell you to go read Mark Prindle's album reviews (in particular his Miles Davis page) and try to compare the things he writes with my reviews. On the other hand, I could be offensive, and say that I didn't force anyone to read what I wrote, and that I shouldn't be bothered with what the readers think. But no; let's go by parts.

First: I have a style of writing, and irony is part of my style, no matter what I'm writing. Sometimes I control that - like in this forum - but, in other times, I let it loose - like in my website. And if I were to make a personal website and try to control and soften my style of writing, I'd rather not do it. When I write my reviews, I don't really use the brakes when it comes to speaking my mind about the music, and I don't really worry about insulting the artist's feelings - if I did, I wouldn't write reviews at all, and I always separate the human being from the artist. The moment that the artist exposes himself, he must be ready to face "insults" like those. It's part of the game.

Second: I suppose the negative comments always jump out at the readers more than the positive comments. At the very same page, I throw heaps of praise over Amarok and dare to put it above the Beatles. I'm pretty sure that would get a bad reaction from Beatles fans... And I have to face that bad reaction, just like the artist has to face the negative reviews. And what I say is similar to what I said in the first point: I won't fight to change my style of writing. It works for me, and it works for some people. When someone tells me he finds my reviews funny, I feel very, very happy, because those reviews are there primarily for entertainment. Writing solid reviews, giving good summaries, making good recommendations and sharing opinions with strength are my goals too, but being entertaining is essential. So it all depends - I won't try to be "balanced" and judge music "objectively", especially when it's a negative approach. I'll go full throttle and bash the music I don't like, because that way, people will know it's my feelings, and not "objective analysis". I don't think music can be objectively bad. It can be bad in my mind, and that's what I make clear.

Third: well, the rape thing is a delicate point. I never intended to evoke actual rape in the reviews, and I only mentioned that because, seriously, the "vocals" on the song reminded me a lot of those "screams" from oriental cartoons, which really make my skin crawl. I used "bad animé character being raped by tentacles" exactly because it's so absurd and removed from reality, and like you said, my intention wasn't to make humour out of actual rape. "Tentacle rape" is an awfully disgusting thing, but I laugh at it to avoid crying, and I really won't condemn other cultures based on my beliefs - whatever floats them Japanese fellas' boats, good for them. They fancy little girls with huge eyes, and it won't be me who will yell. I've never been to Japan - I don't know what it's like. All I know is that I hate those screaming Japanese cartoons, and "Resolution" makes me think of them.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 13:23

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 16 2005, 17:09)
I always separate the human being from the artist.

But isn't that a rather contrived and over-convenient separation? The thief who snatches the old lady's handbag in the street probably separates the human being from the handbag-carrier in the same way. (Not that I'm suggesting they're the same kind of thing, I hasten to add - I'm just illustrating why I don't accept the justification.)

And don't we all, whether artists or not, feel pretty dreadful whenever we are not treated like human beings? Why should artists be singled out for abuse (particularly in this case an artist who has done so much to deserve respect)?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 14:24

But isn't that a rather contrived and over-convenient separation? The thief who snatches the old lady's handbag in the street probably separates the human being from the handbag-carrier in the same way.

Well, he probably does. There's nothing absurd with that. The moment that he harms the human being, though, the separation is invalid. Am I harming Mike as a human being? Am I destroying his feelings? If he comes up and personally tells me so or, more likely, send one of his lawyers out to get me, or go on an interview saying that only 10% of my reviews understand his music, I'll have something to think about.

But really, I don't think it's a case of me not treating Mike as a human being. I don't know what kind of human being he is, so I won't talk about that. The music, on the other hand, I know well. Would it be fair if I hated Mike Oldfield's entire catalog just (an hypotesis!! ) because he's a bastard in real life?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
29 replies since Nov. 06 2005, 14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net