Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "My partner doesn't understand Mike", Victim Support Group< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 15 2009, 03:23

Sounds like quite a few MO fans here run into a similar problem - your partner has no interest in Mikes music, or worse, hates it with a vengence. Don't worry, you are not alone! Vent your anguish in this thread and all the other sufferers will stand up beside you with "my name is Bert and it has been ten years since my wife let me listen to Amarok without headphones" stories...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2009, 03:47

I have always wanted to make love to the music of Mike Oldfield and so far, my other 'alf won't indulge me. I have been a fan for 36 years and with my partner for 9 years.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 04:04

May i suggest the Sailors Hornpipe (not the Viv Stanshall version). :p

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 15 2009, 04:43

If your life partner doesn't like Mike Oldfield, then you should try a hard surprise slap across her/his face
When she has stopped sobbing and if she still don't like MO, then get rid of her, put her on a bus or leave her at the post office with a address label to Mount Everest - it would be a waste of time trying to educate the person to a better level..

There MAY be some humor intended in the above written
and then again - there might not be..
 :cool:
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 15 2009, 05:56

I'm yet to introduce my lady to my music collection; and I think I should be less worried about Oldfield and more about the likes of Venetian Snares!...

But if it happens that she doesn't enjoy Mike Oldfield or can't stand him, I'll sympathise, and I'll hope her sanity won't get damaged...

But then again, those things can change with time and patience. It may be just a matter of starting off slowly.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 06:15

Ha ha.

I think it is destiny to cop a little objection from partners re obsessing over Mike, and it has little to do with the music, it's all about jealousy. I'm sure if you acted like you didn't care all that much and then you just slapped TB on the stereo one day, they would go, Oh Wow, what's this, this is cool.

However, continual playing, dancing to or air guitaring to Mikes music is probably still best left to when you are alone.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 07:32

Quote (The Caveman @ June 15 2009, 09:04)
May i suggest the Sailors Hornpipe (not the Viv Stanshall version). :p

Viv might work - "and the positions are reversed!"   :O

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 08:03

My wife kind of likes a lot of his shorter instrumental compositions.Things like the Voyager album,Guitars and stuff from QE2 etc.I remember though when we first started to live together it was`nt long later that TSODE came out and I completely drove her round the bend with that one.."Oh God not this again,surley you must know this thing off by heart by now"..

Also whenever Mike releases something "new" she`ll say "Which version of Tubular Bells is he bringing out now then"?..Or something to that effect.Which yeah unfortunatly is`nt far from the truth a lot of the time.All that said when we go away on holiday I often play quite a lot of Mike Oldfield in the car,which she does`nt really complain about.She adores the track Argiers.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 08:23

My ex wife used to like Ommadawn and bits of The Complete,if only because our oldest daughter used to dance to Waldberg (The Peak)when she was a toddler which was unbelievably cute.Before that we both used to love TSODE for reasons i'm not going to discuss here but relate to Tubularbelle's first post on this thread.
 Regarding the Sailors Hornpipe,i honestly hadn't thought of that MAtt. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 12:51

Wow. All the years and the spouses vs. Mike Oldfield! Well 2 I legally married(and divorced), possibly 4 more morally and ethically cohabitating for significant amounts of time with a commitment "for life". None really liked MO. One, Diane circa 1990 liked him ok, just because she liked Mozart and MO reminded her of it somewhat. The last, Sylvia, I still see(the one who gave me Eddy out of guilt for abandoning our lease)....only liked the poppy stuff. Family Man, Moonlight Shadow, Northpoint(more arty and one of my favs too). A couple of funny stories, I have many but your time is limited and so is my finger. That didn't come out right. I'm a poor typist, I use one finger and yes its that one!  So it's like 1998 and Sylvia asks me "give me some names of CD's you would like for gifts?" MO Ommadawn was one of my answers. Some time goes by, and I get it as a gift. Keep in mind this is a woman who only listens to disco, Madonna and top 40 pop. So we are in my car waiting for her son to do -something- in a building, were in the parking lot in my car. I'm playing her Ommadawn CD. She says "is that Indian or Chinese music?"....I looked at her like a doberman ready to tear her throat out. But of course I expressed my gratitude for the gift and explained it's origin and roots. She replied that she "just didn't get it"......sound familiar? "Amarok-you get it or you don't"! So, Amarok dude now you see my frustration.....and apologies for my strange irritation to "you get it or you don't"! all this time......Looking back it was one of those "cute" moments though.
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 06:02

:D Yeah ! Same for me , my wife doesn't like Mike's music ...funny when you know her name is Fanny  ! ... well , in fact to be honest , she doesn't like all his music but there's some tracks she likes all the same ! :D But for sure she doesn't like to listen to me trying to imitate Mike with my guit ... i can understand her :D !
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 06:19

Guess i am lucky, my partner does like some of mikes work, songs from distant earth  and ommadan, deb
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 06:25

My family all quite like Mikes more poppy tunes like Moonlight Shadow, some Discovery songs, Man in the Rain but the instrumental works they don't like so much (though some of my kids are ok with some of them, one even quite likes Amarok! ). They only like these in moderation mind you, not the amount I would want to play them :)

So I don't really have a problem except with there being little understanding by the rest of the family of just how much Mikes music means to me - which I suppose is fair enough as I don't really understand that myself!

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 08:07

Since I've become a MO fan in 2001...2 boyfriends on the list here(former and current),and both have to deal with the fact I do love Mike's music and also my great admiration regarding Mike's other "talents",ha ha!

My previous boyfriend(2001-2006) has been a big Pink Floyd fan for many years,and it was hard for him to enjoy new progressive sounds.I remember one day that he came to visit me at home and I was listening to Amarok,and he asked me which album was playing on my stereo,and I said,"It's Amarok by Mike Oldfield!",and he said."Wow,this is quite impressive and it is it so good!". He later has become a big MO fan(but not as big like myself) and even saw him at NNOTP.He was a bit jealous regarding my admiration of Mike's other talents,since I like mature men,what a silly thought!

Current one,we've been together since Aug'06,hasn't heard anything about MO before we met.So I lent him my albums for him to listen without my influence,to see what would happen,if he will like it or not.The final result,he likes some of MO music,he shared with me by phone the great joy I had when I finally saw Mike live @ NNOTP.Sometimes he complains that when I talk about Mike,I become a little bit different...hahahahaha.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 18:27

My wife has excellent taste in MO stuff - her favourites are Evacuation and The Trap.  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 05:57

Interesting. I'd have thought that a similar taste in music might be a factor when chosing a partner, but that doesn't seem to be the case. My ex. only liked Platinum.   :/

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 12:13

Quote (wiga @ June 18 2009, 05:57)
I'd have thought that a similar taste in music might be a factor when chosing a partner, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

"Woof?"

"Woof."

"Woof-a-woof!"

"Woof woof."

"Woof Jean Michel Jarre woof?"

"Woof woof!"

*crash*

*boom*

*bang*

"A-wooooooooof!"

*kablam*

"*pant pant*"

"*pant* *cigarette*"

"Woof woof?"

"Meow!"

"W-- ?!?"

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 16:14

:laugh:

What?? - are you alright Sir Mustapha??

Hey - Venetian Snares rock! :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 16:42

@ Sir M.: I've got a female white cat, she loves M.O.'s music - indeed, she loves music in general. My mom finds M.O. a little boring, but she bears with him. And with me. :D

By the way, Venetian Snares is one guy. IMHO he's great, apart from the weird time sigs he uses. So: Venetian Snares rocks. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 19:19

My listening of Venetian Snares is pretty small, compared to the insane amount of material he put out in such little time. But I'm a big fan of the music, pretty much everything I've listened impressed me, and I even like the crazier stuff like the absolutely sick Making Orange Things (best cover of Stairway to Heaven ever?).

Anyway, I have to say that, in fact, musical taste was a factor that set off the relationship that I want to spend my whole life in, but thankfully that wasn't the deciding factor -- there are many, many better, more enjoyable and more fulfilling things* than sharing taste for music. I mean, that kind of conflict can be easily solved with earphones. :)

* (as much as the more existential and philosophical aspects of love are more important, the mundane things can't be ignored either. One of them can be illustrated in the hypothetical situation of me sitting before the computer, fuming with frustration and puzzlement, and explaining my problem as "the network won't work! I've tried fiddling with every configuration and it just doesn't connect". A regular person would say "well, I have no idea what that is". She would say "have you tried flushing the DNS table?")

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
37 replies since June 15 2009, 03:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net