Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "My partner doesn't understand Mike", Victim Support Group< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 18 2009, 19:35

I really wasn't going to reply to this topic, but oh well....what the bell....although we both started out liking Mike's music, my ex would say that it contributed to our breakup. (Tabloid Headline:  Mike Oldfield Breaks up Fan's Marriage)  :/  There were many factors, though, and it's all much more complicated than that. We had an amicable divorce and I got all the MO albums. :)  One lesson to be learned is that while commonalities are helpful, having them isn't any guarantee that a relationship will work. Both parties have to work really, really hard, unrelentingly and proactively, and sometimes even then..... But yeah....at least there are headphones.  Unless I am dancing or working out, I tend to listen to my music through headphones, actually.

Since the big D, I've not dated anyone who really knows much about MO. In fact, in general it seems like I knew more people in the Mid-West who were familiar with his music than around here--though yesterday I was in the doctor's office, when my cell phone went off as I was leaving the room. The doctor said, "Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells?"  I replied, "Yes," and he asked, "Is he still alive?"  :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2009, 19:54

Quote (TubularBelle @ June 15 2009, 03:47)
I have always wanted to make love to the music of Mike Oldfield and so far, my other 'alf won't indulge me. I have been a fan for 36 years and with my partner for 9 years.

Let's see... Presumably you'd start with "First Steps" and then "Return to the Origin"?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2009, 17:47

my brother made this comment on facebook. Lets say he was a bit opinionated-

David F-  'has to appreciate the musical awesomeness of Mike Oldfield. Such a shame he's quite so socially retarded..'

So I told him 'retarded' isnt the right word but maybe communication problems would be. then I told him to read 'changeling'.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 04:27

Hey Matt and Inkanta it is an issue for many of us with partners who cannot understand Mike's music. However to understand the music is to attempt to understand the man. Changeling gave Mike the chance to discuss frankly and honestly how factors in his life shaped him to become the person he is today. Despite the obvious problem with social communication, he has helped others feeling alienated or not belonging through his work with SANE. I doff my hat, Deb
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 06:39

Would "liking Mike Oldfield" be enough? Wouldn't you have to like not only the same albums but also the same tracks on the albums? Just imagine if one partner hated liked only the early stuff and the other only the latter... Imagine the raised eyebrows - and voices!

And who is this Venetian Snares character? It sounds like a leaky gondola.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 06:42

My wife doesn't "get" Peter Brötzman. How are we moving on from here? :/
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 07:16

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 21 2009, 06:39)
Would "liking Mike Oldfield" be enough? Wouldn't you have to like not only the same albums but also the same tracks on the albums?

Personally I think it would get quite boring if the couple ends up having the exact same tastes. I think it's the difference in the way of seeing and hearing things that expands tastes and only does good to both people -- of course, provided that both are open-minded and ready to face disagreement. But I think many times people mistake marriage for the ultimate opportunity to get together and make love to a mirror.

And, honestly, I don't think all people think the same thing when it comes to "my partner doesn't understand Mike". If it's a matter of music and tastes, then no "liking Mike" wouldn't be neither necessary nor sufficient, because we would assume both people are mature, self-confident and respectful. But if it's a matter of "nobody understands me and my quirky tastes!", then... well, I don't have much to say about that. :)

And who is this Venetian Snares character? It sounds like a leaky gondola.

Probably one of the most subversive and confrontational electronic music composers of our time.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 07:46

Sir M, I agree with you about lovers and musical tastes - I always think it's more interesting to have wildly different tastes, as long as both partners can communicate on the same level intellectually.

As for Venetian Snares - if he's that good, you should post a link to his music!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 18:51

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 21 2009, 13:46)
As for Venetian Snares - if he's that good, you should post a link to his music!

This is one of his less weird things - I have no idea of what the title means. :D Most of Venetian Snares' (Aaron Funk's) output moves along the lines traced by Aphex Twin in his most experimental guises, but I generally don't like what he (Funk) does, because he uses extremely weird time signatures - such as 7/4 (his most frequent one), 10/4 and even 11/4. Those kinds of meters are already hard to follow in conventional music, they get even more complex in that breakbeat stuff. However, he's kind-of cool. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 19:36

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 21 2009, 18:51)
Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 21 2009, 13:46)

This is one of his less weird things - I have no idea of what the title means. :D Most of Venetian Snares' (Aaron Funk's) output moves along the lines traced by Aphex Twin in his most experimental guises, but I generally don't like what he (Funk) does, because he uses extremely weird time signatures - such as 7/4 (his most frequent one), 10/4 and even 11/4. Those kinds of meters are already hard to follow in conventional music, they get even more complex in that breakbeat stuff. However, he's kind-of cool. :cool:

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Ugo. What a depressing piece of music - I think it's about someone trying to fight off suicidal tendencies by going to a video game arcade. He can be as cool as he likes; I'm not going anywhere near him!

I'll resort to this will dispel the horrible feeling of that piece!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eONhto0x_nI
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 20:01

:laugh: Great stuff Nightspore you`ve just made my day.The most marvelous thing about Walking On Sunshine is that it`s just as much fun to sing along to the bassline & the horn section as it is the melody itself.Oh and you have to go "OW!" at some point,but if you`re me it`s usualy in the wrong place.Kimberley Rew the guy behind Katrina & The Waves has made some pretty good solo albums as well.He`s also a former Soft Boy,winner of the Eurovison Song Contest and he`s also responsible for this       Fascinating!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 20:49

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 21 2009, 19:36)
[quote=Ugo,Dec. 21 2009, 18:51]Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Ugo. What a depressing piece of music - I think it's about someone trying to fight off suicidal tendencies by going to a video game arcade. He can be as cool as he likes; I'm not going anywhere near him!

Rossz csillag alatt született is one hell of a depressing album, but the bizarre thing about that guy is that it's impossible to know whether he's being honest with it, or if it's a massive put on. My Downfall and Winder in the Belly of a Snake are similar, but they're about 5% of his whole output. Pwntendo is one track, I think, that sums well his more experimental, playful and interesting side. Those are actual 8-bit Nintendo sounds on there! :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 21:42

Sounds like Sonic The Hedgehog going through an over elaborate and highly mechanised abbatoir.Maybe I looked at the cover too long?..I don`t know,once I stopped laughing at it,it kind of sucks you in I must admit.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 23:22

Quote (Dirk Star @ Dec. 21 2009, 20:01)
:laugh: Great stuff Nightspore you`ve just made my day.The most marvelous thing about Walking On Sunshine is that it`s just as much fun to sing along to the bassline & the horn section as it is the melody itself.Oh and you have to go "OW!" at some point,but if you`re me it`s usualy in the wrong place.Kimberley Rew the guy behind Katrina & The Waves has made some pretty good solo albums as well.He`s also a former Soft Boy,winner of the Eurovison Song Contest and he`s also responsible for this       Fascinating!

Thanks, Dirk. The strange this is that I really did have to dispel that negative feeling somehow. I suppose that shows Snares does know what he's doing,but it's not for me. Is the Katrina and the Waves album with Walking on Sunshine any good? I've also heard "Going Down to Liverpool", which I liked.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 05:52

It`s ok nightspore, Walking On Sunshine is kind of a stand out track I must admit.Going Down To Liverpool is also on there but imo The Bangles version is superior.In fact the first Bangles album All Over The Place is a better bet altogether I would say,even though some of the playing on it is a little bit basic/amateurish.They got a little bit too commercial/over produced for me after that first effort,although there was still the odd good moment here and there.Two of Kimberley Rew`s solo albums Tunnel Into Summer(2000) and Grand Central Revisted(2002) are both very good though,I`d highly recommend those to anybody.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 08:28

Thanks, Dirk - maybe put up another couple of representative tracks at some time?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 08:39

That Venetian Snares piece is pushing me in increasingly extreme contrary directions....  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqj6OXQnnaE
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2009, 12:40

:D The crucial difference between Katrina & The Waves and The Bangles.Was that Katrina & The Waves had a lead guitarist called Kimberley who was a fella.Where as The Bangles had a bass player called Michael who was a girl.The Bay City Rollers on the other hand were of course completely androgynous.
Profile PM 
37 replies since June 15 2009, 03:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net