Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My opinion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Man who is He.. Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 12:19

Hi, allow me to introduce myself, my name is Dave, though I shall keep the stupid log in name as a reminder not to apply for membership of anything if i'm drunk.
In my following post, i shall give a detailed insight into my opinion of L+S, as i have been a Mike O fan since I was 7. A few (decades) years ago.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 12:20

And here is my opinion of L+S,,,,

..........................................................................................
..........................................................................................
.......................!!                                          ?
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 12:43

Yeah, great.

There are IMO to many topics about L+S already, without this nonsense.

I'll leave drunkeness to the irresponsible  :p

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 12:55

Hey, i didn't mean to anger anyone. Mike in my opinion is one of the greatest talents ever. This album goes nowhere near his true capability.What can I say about an album that does nothing for me? It has no soul or feeling. The Fan tracks/covers/mixes in here are mostly better than L+S.
It does provoke me though, everytime I play it, it provokes me into turning it off.
I was sober when i wrote the post, lol, I do spend most of my life sober. I just thought a blank page would go further than any  negative comments. As L+S provokes no possitive emotions, feelings etc, I was stumped, glad you replied though, gives me something to work with if you know what I mean. I haven't heard cooks tune yet, but i read here that Mike O still has it in him, i just wish he could get it out. I know that's not allways possible for an artist, but apart from Islands, this is the poorest Mike album ever. My opinion of course.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 13:54

It didn't anger or offended me, but so many people have been displaying their opinion as if it the THE opinion to look at if you haven't got L+S.

Mike's music is very different, you could say that he's lost it, but he has not lost his talent, he has lost THAT music, the music that people are able to have incredibly deep discussions about, the music with such emotion inspiring it, the music that Mike made because he needed to express himself. Now Mike's music seems to be a hobby rather than a lifestyle, and that is plausible because he has other hobbies, children and doesn't have to lose himself in music to be contented.

What he said in the interview explains it, he sat down and recorded things, with Amarok and his earlier albums, ideas popped into his head and it was a frantic moment when he was trying to get them down.

So in that sense, Mike has lost it, perhaps, but he hasn't lost any of his compositional talent or musicianship, he needs inspiration driven albums rather than things he just did that sound nice. Don't get me wrong, I really like L+S!

Cook's tune does sound like a revisit to such classics as Portsmouth and In Dulci Jubilo etc  :cool:

I knew you were sober when writing that post! I was reffering to the comment you made about being drunk when signing up  :D   ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 17:11

I like Mike's instrumentals that are inspired by the simple/beautiful.

The Lake - Inspired by Lake Geneva, simple, beautiful, powerful.
Orabidoo/Mount Teidi - simple, powerful.
Crises - Powerful, inspired perhaps simply by a painting.
QE2 - Simple, happy, powerful, beautiful imo.

All of these were INSPIRED by something, it's a cliche but artists do tend to do their best works when inspired. Molly was such a short piece, but it's emotionally powerful and beautiful in it's own way.
QE2 (the album), The Lake and Crises (the album) all had strong themes throughout. They are in a way concept albums, but more simple. These albums provided some of the best ever medium/long MO instrumentals  :)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 17:41

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Oct. 23 2005, 17:11)
I like Mike's instrumentals that are inspired by the simple/beautiful.

The Lake - Inspired by Lake Geneva, simple, beautiful, powerful.
Orabidoo/Mount Teidi - simple, powerful.
Crises - Powerful, inspired perhaps simply by a painting.
QE2 - Simple, happy, powerful, beautiful imo.

There are so many tracks like this. This is a true reflection of Mikes insperation. His use of wind instruments on the Hergest Ridge album for instance. If Hergest Ridge truley is inspired by the rolling Welsh Countryside, then these instruments must be the weather!!
On a more personal note, Crises I allways believed to be a side swipe at religion. I find it really Biblical,,,,Lol.
We may look so deeply for the meaning, definition etc etc to Mikes music, but maybe he just goes for a walk, looks around and listens to nature. Who knows, probably something Mike, even could not put into words if he really tried to.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Oct. 20 2005, 12:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net