Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My mix on Indaba Music competition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
lukaszswietek Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2012, 08:23

Hi everyone,
that's my version of the masterpiece by Mike Oldfield!
http://www.indabamusic.com/opportu....5
I'm so excited that I could join that competition. I've never had any occasion to do such a big work. I installed all those plugins and software just because of that project. I'm very glad with the effect, I spent so much time on it - everything was played by myself except for drums on Fast Guitars and Basses.  List of gear  and software used is on the description on Indaba.
I play the guitar since I was 10, now (having just turned to 17) I'm creating what I really like - handmade music, Oldfield style, lot of ideas and my little home studio to use anytime I want. As the biggest fan of Mike in Poland I suppose :)  to get the right techniques of Mike's nail picking and so on took a couple of years but finally I'm very happy about the effects!
PLEASE VOTE for my submission !!! and of course keep your fingers crossed - I'll be in 7th heaven If I win the 1st prize!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 03:03

You just might get your wish. Your version is superb and your in 7th place right now. Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2012, 10:41

I'm listening to it right now (or trying to, over the noise of a thunderstorm) - a fantastic job, and I love your guitar style (nice bit of QE2 sounding guitar just playing...).

However, and sorry for being pedantic, I'd call this a re-recording (or even a reinterpretation), rather than a remix!

N

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2012, 11:06

Well, you are right a bit...but I put some new things I created myself and for sure I did my best in such a short time. As I said everything (software, recording etc)was new for me, excerpt for original Tubular Bells track of course. Remix is something what I connect with DJ's more, who are of course musicians but... let's say that they are not so musically skilled... They do have great ideas sometimes but this is actually the only thing they are good at... I did the remake of that piece of music as a great fan (not a guy who needs money and enter nearly every contest on indaba) and I used my guitar skills to it and It took me a lot of time - I hope Mike will feel that :) Everybody puts his own feel to it, my feel is like Mike's because I'm like Mike and that's it :) I wanted to use more stems, mix them or something but then I realised that that's not my style... I did it hand made and I'm proud of my work. Now I'm waiting for Mike's decision :)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2012, 13:32

You should be proud. A fine job. You're at #2 now.........

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2012, 05:46

One question - be honest, - Did you hear after first listening of a track that guitars on Fast Guitars are out of rhythm a little bit?
I did noticed that right after I uploaded my version on indaba. I hope Mike won't be so strict for that mistake.  I had some problems with playing it to the bit that friend had sent me, but it was also computer's fault - latency was high. :(
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2012, 14:25

Lucasz, one thing about "art", which could include paintings, music, literature or a beautiful woman.........is that "flaws" are neccesary. Without flaws you end up with something so perfect that it is bland and lifeless. Mike O. was guilty(no pun intended) of this in his more computerized and "written out" pieces of the late '80s among others. His most prized ones like Tubular Bells One had many flaws. He knows this and even publicly stated in so many words that his next album will be real people and real rock and no damn samples. That implies he has grown out of that phase. I think you'll be fine. I heard the term "Persian flaw" many times until someone explained it, that persian carpet makers deliberately put a flaw into their carpets because only god can aspire to perfection. Mike O. knows this. Not a religious man myself but I agree with the concept. It's down to you and Ignacio now. While I won't reveal who I voted for till the end game is played out, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya bro. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
6 replies since Aug. 22 2012, 08:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net