Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My cover of Platinum (parts 1-4)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Xavi Martinez Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 09:20

Dear All,

This is Xavier from Barcelona, long time MO fan since approximately 1979 (I'm 43)

Platinum is one of my top 3 "desert island" records and i always fantasized with the idea of rerecording all side A, which I just did.

All done in a PC running Nuendo and several plugins. Guitar is a Parker Southern Nightfly into Guitar Rig 3. Preset is a "Gratifier" -Boogie emulation- into a 1x12" cab . Bass is a loaned Warwick.

All comments (both positive and negative) are welcome  !!. Thanks for listening !

Platinum youtube cover

EDIT: In case you get a "player is too small" message, just click on the small youtube sign inside the video player and watch it straight on youtube. Text link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fC_4B2NQMmU
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 10:56

:O  :)  :) Man be proud of your playing guitar !! You're good !!!

I like covers when they are close to original ! It's a sign of respect to the author of the piece of music ! Playing like this , so close to Mike's playing , is a good and respectful thing !!!

lol yes maybe horns are very  .." cheap" ...if i were you i would have used soundfonts from Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra , it's free !

Very very nice cover !!!  ;)
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 11:01

Hey thanks a lot !!! yes I know about the horns and the choir.........it's very hard to record a horn section from plugins that sounds realistic........

Thanks again ! :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 13:34

I found this really good fun. I was taking a break from working on something when I saw you'd posted the topic, and just meant to take a quick listen to the beginning but...somehow I never made it as far as hitting stop.

I see you said on YouTube that "my playing is far away from Mike's" as if it was a bad thing, but I actually like the bits where it departs from Mikedom (to coin a new word ;)) a bit - like right at the end, from 18:33, I loved how you hit some of those notes there. But more in general, I think the playing's strong and it fits the feel of the piece nicely, so I wouldn't worry!

The horns...if you're not happy with how they're turning out, you could investigate arranging the parts out of individual trumpet, sax and trombone samples, then perhaps layering them with a more generic 'brass' patch if they don't quite cut it on their own. That can take a lot of patience, though!

Similar with the choir, you can always try layering the sampled sound with your own voice (and you'll get an even bigger sound if you record a few tracks' worth of each line). Worth trying if you're not happy with sampled choir sounds, though it obviously comes with its own pitfalls too :D

It's really clear this is a labour of love, I can hear that you enjoyed making it...and I certainly enjoyed listening to it because of that :)
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 17:00

:D ..yeah true ! same here Korgy i didn't want to listen to the entire cover of Xavi but when i saw it was good i didn't stop it !

..as i said , for horns , Sonatina is very good quality/realistic and free/open source .

..you also can use the free player of East West Symphonic orchestra silver , for horns again .

...ohh just saw that there is also choirs in Sonatina !
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 17:21

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely check that Sonatina thingy :)

in fact I arranged the horns like that, in separate tracks, trombone, tenor sax, alto sax and 2 trumpets....but...meh :)

I have Native Instriments Komplete 8 which in theory should cover all my synth and sample needs........but I am a guitarist :)

Thangs for the comments !
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2012, 17:49

;) i'll try to find a midi file about this brass part and will show you how it sounds so you'll see by yourself and then you'll decide what to do ...
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 30 2012, 00:45

Really great! It think it sounds very nicely bright and light. Reminds me the feel of listening to TB2003, if Mike would re-record it, it might sound like yours. :)

I'm deep into sinister dark analog synth sounds these days, so thank you so much for this, a nice break for me, it's wonderful. You can be proud.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2012, 10:30

This is awesome. It's as close to an original as I've heard, and that's a good thing.  

You're obviously a very talented musician as the playing and timing are both spot on.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2012, 10:34

Also, I would imagine that achieving the transitions between each part would be particularly hard to master.  They are seamless here.

Well done!
Profile PM 
9 replies since Nov. 29 2012, 09:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net