Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My cover of Crises, My "replica" cover of the Crises track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Xavi Martinez Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 28 2012, 13:53

Hi all,

I have just finalized my second (and last) Mike Oldfield, this time is Crises (very apt for the current times we live in.... :)

Crises cover by Xavier

I started right when i finalized my "Platinum" cover, thinking that it was going to be less complicated...boy I was wrong. This is by far the most complicated and time consuming cover I've ever done. No more Mike oldfield covers after this one !

This track should have been the Oberheim OBXa demo back in those days...it's all over the place !!

Platinum had a feel of "continuity", basically 2 guitars carrying the weight of the melody ...Crises is like a puzzle actually.

I used Nuendo 4 and the following:

- Battery 3
- EZdrummer MetalHead
- Sonic projects OP-X (intensively !!;)
- Ni Pro53
- Superwave P8
- Zero G Nostalgia
- Guitar Rig 3 for distorted guitars, Guitar Rig 5 for clean guitars
- Carvin Bolt-T strat with Tesla active guitars
- Parker Nitefly telecaster -type.
Profile PM 
jjmillenium Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2012, 14:21

you need to do more Oldfield's covers. They are just perfect!
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 28 2012, 19:28

Excellentissime! Like I felt with your Platinum cover, it feels like his Crises 2012 rerecording would sound.

We should hire a filmmaker filming you playing and editing tracks to make a movie out of it, rather than showing a TB logo and a list of software names.

Regarding the puzzle quality to it, to me it sounds like his version on "drunk music". Like Vangelis Memories Of Green with the flanger effect on the piano.
Does anybody know what kind of crises it is about? Stomach crises in my opinion, which is probably wrong. :-)
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2012, 23:30

Thanks Olivier...unfortunately my video knowledge is ZERO....I am a real disaster. I already had enough trouble with Sony Vegas :-(......the recording alone took many hours of sleep and I was about to give up at some points....

The computer was crashing all the time...would have been an interesting video :-) a guy in a small room pulling his hair and swearing at the computer :-)

I had enough energy to try to pull the music off to the best of my abilities, but video as I say is a whole different thing......
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 29 2012, 04:20

Yeah, that's why I was saying "hire a filmmaker" half jokingly, it's another art form. Or every musician should have a video guy as a friend. That's what would happen if social network would be meaningful and useful.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2012, 07:59

:) Xavi you and Jose Manuel are the best ! ....ahhh Spanish fans !!!  :p
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2012, 08:11

:)  :) You even put the famous Simons rototoms !!!great !!!

Could you give us a gift ? share your Superwave presets since i use it ....well i use the fre version ..guess it could work anyway !

EDIT :

Do you know that exist Fairlight samples / instrument for Kontakt ?

I'll give you a link if you want ?
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2012, 10:54

Well those are Tama octobans like used by Simon Philips, there's a soundfont if you Google it.

I also use the P8 lite !!! I just take presets until I get close to what I need, but I found it's the easiest virtual synth to manipulate...unfortunately I had just one instance open and i kept recording audio files (ie: one "strings" track, generate the audio file and then change the sound), so I didn't really store any presets....but they were pretty boring "normal" sounds.....most of the nicer sounds came from the OP-X (send me a pm on this :) ) and the Pro53, like the fast sequence that carries the whole 2nd half.

yes I am interested on the Fairlight samples :).....I will have an ipad next month and will probably buy the "Fairlight app" from David Vogel instruments.it comes with all the original patches !!!

there were a few fairlight patches in the Nostalgia synth, but they were rather uninspiring........
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2012, 11:39

:) ahh ! I knew there was a soundfont about Tamas so now i got it ! Thanks !

I don't know OP X ! ?? ! ...i will make a search about that ...

Ok i'll pm you on your facebook page for fairlight things ...;)
Profile PM 
lunarian Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2012, 07:38

Excelent... What if you used your ability to compose your own works? sure would be great.
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2012, 08:51

I do have my own songs, in a different style though, check my youtube channel anytime ;-)

Here's one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54hu-QGzuc
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2012, 09:07

:O  :) Hey !! and a good one  !!!
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2013, 18:18

Astonishing! I haven't listened to Crises for years (anything after Platinum is pretty much off my radar...) and if I hadn't known that was a cover I would have thought it was the original! How much time do you have??!

Liking your original stuff too...nice shredding, hints of Steve Vai and even a little Camel?! (and nothing wrong with that guitar tone!)

N

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2013, 03:46

Thank you !! This cover was done at the expense of my sleeping hours, not that I have too much time :). Thanks for your comments !!!!
Profile PM 
Kogwonton Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2013, 19:47

Wow. That was absolutely perfect, right down to the compression on the guitars. Wonderful.

I've done more than a dozen Oldfield covers so far, but Crises was my 'first' Oldfield favorite. I discovered him in the late 1980's and was hooked right away. you're a great player. If you're interested you can hear some of my work at:

Kogwonton's Soundcloud

I've got other (more) music and art at my main site:

ArtsNorth - art and music
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2015, 16:57

OH MY GOD. I can't believe what I'm hearing. Dare I say, I almost like it better than the original. Your vocals on Tower and the Crises section were superior to Mike's I thought. Can you PLEASE link me to where I can download a high quality version of this? Well done, my friend. Well done indeed.
Profile PM 
15 replies since Dec. 28 2012, 13:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net