Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My 9 year old is a fan :)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 21 2009, 16:02

I've slowly brought both my kids into my realm. I played them some Mike Oldfield Stuff, just a few albums here an there. Just played them a few things kinda introducing them to my world.

On the way to a theme park. My son asked.. Have you got any mike oldfield albums in the car? I said, yes.. I think so. So, i played some.

My son, Jordan Loved them, and started blerting out the motion vocally. It sounded awful mind, but he got right involved and loves the rawness of Mike's earlier works. My Daughter Jessica seems somewhat bewildered and prefers mike's more dare i say? Sensible works.

Jordan now often requests on journey's out that i play Mike's musics.

Anyone else here, have kids who have taken to mike's music? Just interesting that the stuff he's produced can still capture the youth of today given the chance to here it.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: June 21 2009, 16:33

:) Yes of course my two daughters ( 13 and 8 years old for the youngest  )love some Mike's music but not all ! Of course they love Tubular Bells theme ! They also really like Lakme , Moonlight shadow of course but not all earlier seventies music of Mike ; they prefer the recent albums of him . When it's a cover track as Lakme is , i always do a listening of the original version , so they can compare the two versions . Tres Lunas is also an album they really like !
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 21 2009, 23:27

My daughter was the one who introduced me to his music, she plays guitar synth drums, used to drive me  mad with tb which i hated in the 90s, but found tb2 3 i was hooked! now i drive her mad when i visit! deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 22 2009, 06:49

Mine like his stuff too.My oldest especially.She's 13 next month and moody as 13 year olds usually are but she really likes Cat Stevens and is rather partial to a bit of Mike.The younger two quite like him as well but are more into the Bonzo Dog Band. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 22 2009, 06:58

My kids have various likes and dislikes: Moonlight shadow they all like not surprisingly and also man in the rain. One of them loves Sunset and another loves the mike Oldfield Single. I've yet to persuade the ones with ipods to add much Mike stuff to their collections however. Give it time  ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 22 2009, 10:00

None of my three kids like Mike Oldfield at all,aged 8-18..My daughter who is the eldest went through a dance/rap sort of phase.Then moved onto more emo/grunge type stuff.But now she just kind of likes a bit of everything really,she`s fairly open minded.I took her to a Stranglers tribute gig on saturday night which we both enjoyed immensely.Plus we also had a very entertaining and drunken chat with the band after the show.I guess there`s still time for her yet now she`s coming round to some of the other stuff I like.

My eldest son`s tastes atm is anything from Kasabian to Dizzee Rascal.Walking round the supermarket yesterday I had a little friendly dig at him about old Dizzee,but he wasn`t having any of it.."Better than what you like Dad..Mike Oldfield"?? he said in as sarcastic a tone possible for a 12 year old..Both of my youngest two like The Bonzo Dog Band though as well Caveman.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 22 2009, 11:14

Cool.We had a little bit of the Bonzo's while having Sunday lunch a couple of weeks ago.They really like My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe which has me in fits of giggles everytime.
 Oddly enough the youngest one loves Don Alsonfo and Wonderful Land.She loves the video for the latter when Molly appears to wink.She goes all maternal and gives it the whole "oh she's soooo cute" bit. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 28 2009, 10:54

My daughters have recently turned 22, 17, and 15 (heavens, where does the time go????).  When they were younger, they all liked or tolerated MO to varying degrees.  There was the dance routine to "Man in the Rain." My two youngest ones fought over MITR and MS in the car more than one day (they liked to sing). "I want to hear MITR."  "NO, I want "Moonlight Shadow."  "MOM!!!!"   As if on a 30 minute trip we couldn't play both.  Arrgghh. They even had opinions on which singer they preferred on MITR.  My middle child and her friend would giggle at "Pacha Mama."  "Mom--they're saying 'Sexy Woman!!'"  Of  course, that would lead to a discussion of Saksaywaman, Cusco, Tawantinsuyu, and the Inka statehood. Chelsey still likes to sing "Five Miles Out." All three daughters have great voices. They were also happy to perform "Peace on Earth" with me at a couple of Christmas Eve services at the Unitarian Church. These days, Kayleigh is into Celtic, classical, and I would say Indi (and Nightwish, whatever genre), Chelsey is into Goth and Indi, and Lindsay listens primarily to Rap and Hip Hop. They seem to introduce me to much more than the other way around, though I think Chelsey and Kayleigh like some of the prog rock I listen to and would accompany me to a concert. If it were a Mike Oldfield concert, probably at least one of them would bow out, though I imagine Kayleigh would be quite happy to go.

But you know? Think I've said this before, but I believe that my passion for music--of which Mike's is a big part--is responsible for music being important in their lives. We may listen to different genres, artists, etc., but music is key to all of us. That's not such a bad thing. :)

There have been young people (i.e., those 17 and under) on here in the past. Elsewhere on the forum, there are several "age" related topics that include posts from those as young as 14, IIR.  Of course, that was awhile ago, and time marches on......

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 29 2009, 18:32

I still have hope my youngest can be converted, but the other 2....

Sadly they have been turned into Man U and  Springsteen fans by their mother. I'm still allowed the last 2 spaces in the car's 10 cd autochanger 'cos that's "when they'll be asleep on long journeys".

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 29 2009, 22:17

I still wish I could have had more influence on my nieces' tastes. About five years ago, when the oldest one was still a toddler, I liked to envision myself as mysterious supervillain that would drag them into my crazy taste, but, unfortunately, it didn't work out -- their mother has a much, much bigger knack for being a musical supervillain... At least I'm comfortable that they both enjoy the Backyardigans, which opens them up to a wildly vast range of different kinds of music, and I sometimes get them to listen to and enjoy some different stuff. Weeks ago we had a bizarrely hilarious Led Zeppelin session, which involved making up a little train with my wheeled office chair to the sound of Rock and Roll. That was a good one.

I reckon it wouldn't be too difficult introducing them to Mike Oldfield, since he has some "easier" pieces which become a natural lead to the more substantial ones. This is FAR easier to do with a small kid, I believe, since they'll be open to anything and won't try to filter everything through their own limited sense of taste. The oldest one is growing out of that phase, I believe. But not all is lost, I'm sure. I grew out of the shadows into what I am now with my own bare hands, so I can't see why they wouldn't. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since June 21 2009, 16:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net