Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Musical Attachment, Pangs for the memories.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 25 2010, 01:34

Are there any Albums/Songs or lyrics the you instantly associate with a time or loved one or a love lost.
Evan years later it can still take you back to wistful thoughts of days gone by or emotionally grab you by the nung-nungs.
It could be anything ,a child's birth a parents passing or first love.
Two come to mind for me Weightless always reminds me of a love lost and salad days.
And Rhiannon will forever and a day always take me back to my childhood where my father would play it ceaselessly pretending to drum with Mick Fleetwood eyes for our amusement.
With so many passionate music lovers here I cant be the only one that thrives on musical attachment and the feelings that come from nostalgia.
Thoughts Anyone.      :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 25 2010, 02:07

Too many to mention! However most of these songs are just associated with a period of time, a place I used to live or something I used to eat. Not neceserily to a drastic change in life.
A few exceptions;

Hugh Hopper's "Jazzloops". I had just bought that CDR from Burning Shed when we learnt that my brother in law was in intensive care. So the last days of August 2008 I spent sitting on a chair by a life support machine waiting for my brother in law to die. I ran 15 km/day back then, and I had Jazzloops in my mp3 player running around a strange town listening to Hugh Hopper and thinking about death. I really had those songs echoing through my head when he passed away. It all comes back when I hear that album.

I associate Steve Hackett's "Every Day" with my daughter's birth earlier this year. Again it was an mp3 player thing. That guitar solo at the end is like my dauther's "theme" to me now!
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: May 25 2010, 02:17

Both ends of the spectrum there Lars, a beginning and ending its powerful stuff the way the memories and music stay locked in our hearts. thanks.
Congrats on the new addition btw :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 25 2010, 04:59

Quote (milamber @ May 25 2010, 01:34)
Are there any Albums/Songs or lyrics the you instantly associate with a time or loved one or a love lost.

This phenomenon is the plague of my life! I'm just about the most associational person you can imagine. If I play a piece once in a certain environment it will be associated with it for ever. I can't win: if I associate music with an unhappy time I won't want to listen to the music again; and if I associate it with a happy time the music takes on an awful nostalgic dimension! :(
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 25 2010, 06:28

Lots of associations for me, many of my "top 40 songs" posted a while back have such associations, mostly good ones fortunately!

One for instance is getting my first record player (edit: found a piccy of the same model here for nostalgia) which was a birthday present when I was about 8 and at the same time a present from a sibling was my first single "Love me love my dog" by Peter Shelley. *Very* clear memories/associations of a birthday party in the garden in the sun with that playing in the background!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 27 2010, 08:10

Far too many to mention but some spring to mind immediately.The whole of Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek And The Dominoes reminds me of my first love (Oh Alison what became of you?).
Voyager reminds me of the couple of months spent in a bedsit with my ex-wife and our new born baby daughter before we got our house.
Kula Shaker's K was endlessy played by me and a mate while decorating my bedroom in out house.
QE2 is holidays in Devon as a kid.
TSODE remonds me of something that's no-ones business but mine and an ex! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: May 27 2010, 17:17

Matt did you ever play Tubular Bells on that old tin box. :D
Profile PM 
6 replies since May 25 2010, 01:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net