[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Musica Universalis< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SniperSight Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 17 2008, 21:14

Hi all,
Havent posted here in quiet a while but anyways,
I was listening to MOTS (which I love every bit of), and right at the end of the last track "Musica Universalis" I thought I heard an electric guitar note.
Now I'm no expert on instruments and am very slowly managing to learn guitar, so I could be wrong with this.

Its the very last note of the track. Like I said to me it sounds very like an electric guitar. To be honest I wouldnt be surprised, trust Mike to not be able to do an album without one,lol.

But anyways, clearly there are some very knowledgeable posters here who know more about instruments than I could dream of knowing. Perhaps you all could have a listen and see what you think.
Thanks much,
SniperSight.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 18 2008, 19:02

I think that what you hear as an electric guitar is what's commonly called an "orchestra hit" (i.e. strings + brass + woodwinds + percussion, all together hitting a fortissimo note), overlaid with Mike's sampled/synthetic cymbal hit. This is a custom sound of his, appearing many times in Tr3s Lunas, amongst other places. On MotS, it is preceded by a flurry of equally synthetic chimes - which are part of the same sample - and the very last note is the cymbal hit. There's also orchestral percussion (a bass drum, timpani, orchestral cymbals, tubular bells :D), but the sampled cymbal sound is, I think, the most prominent. That's pretty much the only electronic (if not really electric...) sound in the whole of MotS. ;)

This sound does not appear (rather obviously! :p) in the Bilbao live rendition.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 19 2008, 06:09

Now that you mention it, it does sound somewhat like an electric guitar, but I don't believe it is either. But then, who knows. Would be cool if it was - it would be a very oldfieldian thing to do, I think.
Profile PM 
SniperSight Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 15:34

@ Ugo:
That would be the type of knowledge that I was talking about, very informed. Thanks for that.

Just one question, is that what you think it sounds like or are you definately saying that it isnt an e. guitar, caus as Holger said it would be cool.

Thanks.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 17:30

@ SniperSight: what I'm saying is that I'm really sure that it isn't an electric guitar. Of course it would be cool if it were an electric guitar, but it just isn't. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
SniperSight Offline

Posted: May 21 2008, 10:49

OK then just wanted to clear that for myself. Thanks.
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since May 17 2008, 21:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net