Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Musica Universalis< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Taynie Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 07:51

I just love the way Mike always pulls everything together in his final tracks, it's such a talent.  Track 14 is my favourate because again he captures this perfectly, he makes everything alright. I want to put in words how he does this for me.
The steadying reasuring strings are in the background driving us through this piece, steady, courageous, and constant, persevering, enduring, keeping us focussed, on track, making us hang in there. Then the tuubular bells signify us getting stronger,and confident, and then hold your breath a pause, one final push, we're there, the brass come in like hope and love returns in our hearts and our love for humanity. We become whole again with a tender reminder at the end of where we've been.  It's fabulous and just what the world needs to listen to right now. There has been such bad news in the papers lately.

Mike heals the nation.

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 08:20

Love this track!  :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 09:51

Me too!  :laugh:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 17:49

I agree... definitely one of the highlights of the album... when the brass section comes in at the end for the final crescendo, I am always reminded of the first few minutes of the film "contact" starring Jodie Foster... there's an amazing sequence where the camera pulls out from Earth orbit, out of our star cluster, beyond our galaxy out to the farthest reaches of our universe...

That's what this piece encapsulates for me. Having seen them both, I find it quite moving to link the two, even though they are entirely unrelated in intention, but perhaps not in principle.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 21:38

The final statement of the Tempest melody is probably the best moment on side 2; I also like how it isn't terribly obvious, as you listen to it. The melody builds itself nicely, without screaming at you straight for three minutes at the top of its lungs (yes, I'm glaring at you, Far Above the Clouds).

The final chord, though... I understand "going out with a bang", but I can't help but feel they could have handled it better - especially as the instruments are just swelling towards saturation point and ready to burst, those chimes come in about thirty times louder than everything else. Did they call Roger Waters to handle the SFX? :p

It's a very small nitpick, though, compared to how good the rest of the album is.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 15:33

YES YES YES!! I almost cried when I heared it for the first time (today)!

The piano on track 14 is possibly the best theme I have heared! I LOVE IT! SO FANTASTIC MIKE!!! Every single note is pure gold!!!

It is a worthy final of a surprisingly astounishing album!
Profile PM 
Taynie Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 05:49

I want to cry at the end in the way one does at the end of a great film with a great musical score.  Is that sentimental emotion then, I don't know?

Mike has certainly got the gift for writing musical score, maybe Hollywood will be after him, I could see him winning an oscar; 'Best Musical Score is Mike Oldfield !!'

His career's not over yet.

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
6 replies since Mar. 18 2008, 07:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net